rgparham

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
acura mdx/rdx/4runner/ ford mach e awd premium
Country flag
I have premium awd extended battery. Early build with just over 12,000 miles. I only charge at home with a 40 amp Grizzl-e charger. It has worked flawlessly until yesterday. It is on a 50 amp circuit. It will charge a few minutes then shuts off. On the Grizzl-e it is a red light. I reset it flipping the breaker and it will restart and so on again . Any thoughts?
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
If it's just the charger and the car isn't showing any faults then I would go to a DCFC or a public L2 charger and see if the car works fine on one of those. If it does then your charger might have taken a crap on you.

My recommendation in a nut shell, process of elimination.

bristol16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, '15 SS
Country flag
I have premium awd extended battery. Early build with just over 12,000 miles. I only charge at home with a 40 amp Grizzl-e charger. It has worked flawlessly until yesterday. It is on a 50 amp circuit. It will charge a few minutes then shuts off. On the Grizzl-e it is a red light. I reset it flipping the breaker and it will restart and so on again . Any thoughts?
What does the manual for your charger say about troubleshooting such an error? A quick search brought me to a Grizzl-e owners manual with some steps for attempting to rectify a red light, but you may want to verify these steps with the manual that came with your charger. The end result is that if the problem persists you should contact the chargers manufacturer.

In the instance the “Red Steady” or “Red Flashing” Fault light remains, it is recommended that you perform a reset.
1. Unplug the charging Connector from your EV
2. Turn off the power to the Charging Station by switching the upstream circuit breaker to the “OFF” position
3. With the circuit breaker in the “OFF” position, wait 1-2 minutes and then switch the upstream circuit breaker back to the “ON” position
4. Confirm the Fault light is no longer present. If the Fault light remains, please contact United Chargers.

https://grizzl-e.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Grizzl-E_Version1_Manual_V12.3.pdf

OP
OP

rgparham

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
acura mdx/rdx/4runner/ ford mach e awd premium
Country flag
What does the manual for your charger say about troubleshooting such an error? A quick search brought me to a Grizzl-e owners manual with some steps for attempting to rectify a red light, but you may want to verify these steps with the manual that came with your charger. The end result is that if the problem persists you should contact the chargers manufacturer.

In the instance the “Red Steady” or “Red Flashing” Fault light remains, it is recommended that you perform a reset.
1. Unplug the charging Connector from your EV
2. Turn off the power to the Charging Station by switching the upstream circuit breaker to the “OFF” position
3. With the circuit breaker in the “OFF” position, wait 1-2 minutes and then switch the upstream circuit breaker back to the “ON” position
4. Confirm the Fault light is no longer present. If the Fault light remains, please contact United Chargers.

https://grizzl-e.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Grizzl-E_Version1_Manual_V12.3.pdf
So I did that and rests for a few minutes. Went to ev go charger and received a charge station fault

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Acura TL, 2016 MB GLE350, 2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Oddly I got the same error this morning.
It was exactly at the time when my wife un-plugs the car (We charge using mobile charger on 110V overnight) every morning.
I am guessing hesitation in pulling the plug out may have caused it?
I will see how it charges tonight.
BTW: The Ford charger has a solid blue light (its not connected to the car at the moment).

Ford Mustang Mach-E stopped charging all of a sudden IMG-1830.JPG

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Oddly I got the same error this morning.
It was exactly at the time when my wife un-plugs the car (We charge using mobile charger on 110V overnight) every morning.
I am guessing hesitation in pulling the plug out may have caused it?
I will see how it charges tonight.
BTW: The Ford charger has a solid blue light (its not connected to the car at the moment).

Ford Mustang Mach-E stopped charging all of a sudden IMG-1830.JPG
I would expect to get that every time if I unplugged the EVSE while charging.

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would expect to get that every time if I unplugged the EVSE while charging.
That's a relief to know :)
That's a good point.
Now that I remember all other times the overnight charge was completed by the time she leaves.
Today it was showing 6:58 AM charge complete and she un-plugged it 6:52...
So the charger was charging the battery while it was un-plugged.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
That's a relief to know :)
That's a good point.
Now that I remember all other times the overnight charge was completed by the time she leaves.
Today it was showing 6:58 AM charge complete and she un-plugged it 6:52...
So the charger was charging the battery while it was un-plugged.
I unplug all the time in the middle of charging and never get this. Make sure your wife isn't quickly disconnecting the plug from the car. Pull the EVSE lever and wait for the click that should indicate the charge is stopped and then remove the plug.

I really wish they locked L2 to the vehicle like my previous EV. It would only release when unlocked and safe to do so just like how L3 is on this car.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I unplug all the time in the middle of charging and never get this. Make sure your wife isn't quickly disconnecting the plug from the car. Pull the EVSE lever and wait for the click that should indicate the charge is stopped and then remove the plug.

I really wish they locked L2 to the vehicle like my previous EV. It would only release when unlocked and safe to do so just like how L3 is on this car.
Is you car on or off? It looks like his was on.

ETA: My car used to lock the L2 connection back when I first got the car. It stopped doing that after one of the updates.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If your Grizzl-e is the slightly newer internals you will get a specific error code indicated by the number of red flashes.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

ETA: My car used to lock the L2 connection back when I first got the car. It stopped doing that after one of the updates.
Huh, I've never heard of this on L2 with MME

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I will have to ask my wife but normally she unplugs the car first and then starts it.
Never mind, she says car was unplugged first..

Note that my charger is only L1 charger on 110V.
Is there a procedure to safely disconnect the plug?
From what I have read just pressing the button on the charger plug should do it.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Huh, I've never heard of this on L2 with MME
We had a thread on this last March. People said I was crazy (maybe I am, but that’s another discussion) so I double checked and confirmed that I couldn’t unplug after charging overnight unless I pressed the release button. By June, it stopped behaving like that. I wish I had made a video.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will have to ask my wife but normally she unplugs the car first and then starts it.

Note that my charger is only L1 charger on 110V.
Is there a procedure to safely disconnect the plug?
From what I have read just pressing the button on the plug should do it.
There’s no unsafe way to disconnect, in reality.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
I had a similar issue. Turned out that my Chargepoint app somehow put in charging times outside of when I was plugged in. Cleared the app and it is working fine.
Sponsored