jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Let me first start off by saying that I switched over to Ford because when I test drove the Tesla vs Polestar vs MME I was impressed.

I purchased my AWD Premium MME in early January of 2021 (one the first in Quebec, Canada). Since then I have put 16,000+ km on the vehicle, mostly on long road trips of 1,000+ km.

Two weeks ago I took my MME 750km to visit family. During this trip I took my MME to a store with an 80% +/- charge. Upon re-entering the vehicle, it would not start. I got out, locked it and unlocked it, still no luck. The display screen is locked (no buttons working) and there is no where to enter my passcode..

I contacted roadside and a tow truck showed up within 15 minutes, driver was contacting Ford support, but neither him or I could get the car started. It apparently was in "deep sleep mode".

The car was towed to an adjacent dealership where it sat for the weekend. Fast forward 12 days, the car is still at the dealership at the same spot it was towed. The dealership, Ford Tech Support, no one as been able to get the car started. A new key FOB was ordered and arrived today and still no luck starting the DEEP SLEEP MME.

Problems I saw:

1) Dealerships are not trained on the MME;
2) Ford Tech Support is absolutely useless;
3) Taking 12 days to start a car that is "locked" is absolutely ridiculous.

Ford Canada keep referring me back to the dealership, claiming it is being handled by a private entity. The dealership states they are trying to work with Ford Tech Support to resolve the problem. My position is I purchased car from Ford, not a private entity.

I have thus far accumulated over $1,000+ in expenses returning home and leaving the car behind. Ford roadside apparently offers $500 of which I best receive the full amount if not more.

Now I await to see how Ford plans on returning the car to me. Otherwise, I will be cancelling payments and I can see Ford in court.

Regardless, this will be the last Ford vehicle I purchase. Not because there was an issue (that happens in every car), not because the dealership folks are bad (they have actually been very friendly), but because Ford needs to take responsibility and not leave someone stranded 750km from home and have no clue on how to get their car started (the problems I saw listed above). Lastly, it took three days, numerous phone calls to Ford Canada to get the dealership to issue me a rental (which I drove back to my province and still have).

Ford Canada wants to blame the dealership and the dealership is blaming Ford, while the customer is stuck in the middle. Very poor customer service and disappointing experience on a brand new Ford car. In the meantime, I will enjoy my rented VW Passat.

Thank you!
Sponsored

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Wow. Sorry to hear. This really sucks. I agree Ford customer service is absolutely terrible. The MME and FP software sucks. I hope they get you back working soon. Thanks for sharing your story. Best of luck!

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
If the 12v battery is dead then you can use the port in the front bumper to open the frunk (this ONLY works if the 12v battery is dead). Connect a 12v power supply and you should hear the motor operate the release latch.

Once open, you access the 12v battery after removing both the rear panel (behind the storage compartment) and the panel on the driver side. They snap-in ... just lift straight up at each snap point to release.

Connect a 12v AGM battery charger that can supply 10+ amp charge current to the designated charge connection points (do not connect *directly* to the battery terminals).

The car should wake up pretty quickly.

If that fixes it ... the next problem is to work out *why* the 12v battery was allowed to die. There were some known issues with the 12v battery charge state being properly maintained, but they were fixed long ago with a software update. Unless ... maybe your car was missed?

If the car needs software ... you'll want the 12v battery topped off ... and for some updates the car needs to be connected to a power supply.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Ford Canada keep referring me back to the dealership, claiming it is being handled by a private entity. The dealership states they are trying to work with Ford Tech Support to resolve the problem. My position is I purchased car from Ford, not a private entity.
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
I find it interesting that you are able to purchase directly from Ford in Canada. I have always wondered how that works exactly. I guess it's the same as dealing with a dealer here in the states.....

I hope your issue is resolved very soon. Usually making sure the 12v battery is fully charged and then removing the negative cable for a bit then reconnecting will wake up the car. Yours must have some sort of mechanical failure somewhere though?

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Its interesting that multiple people on here, me included, immediately think "check the 12V battery." But if the car is still sitting outside at the dealership, I would say there is a reasonably good chance that they haven't even attempted to do that. Its quite possible that a good number of people on this forum could have had your car fixed well enough to drive within 15 minutes using a set of jumper cables.

OP
OP
jdsimard2012

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
If the 12v battery is dead then you can use the port in the front bumper to open the frunk (this ONLY works if the 12v battery is dead). Connect a 12v power supply and you should hear the motor operate the release latch.

Once open, you access the 12v battery after removing both the rear panel (behind the storage compartment) and the panel on the driver side. They snap-in ... just lift straight up at each snap point to release.

Connect a 12v AGM battery charger that can supply 10+ amp charge current to the designated charge connection points (do not connect *directly* to the battery terminals).

The car should wake up pretty quickly.

If that fixes it ... the next problem is to work out *why* the 12v battery was allowed to die. There were some known issues with the 12v battery charge state being properly maintained, but they were fixed long ago with a software update. Unless ... maybe your car was missed?

If the car needs software ... you'll want the 12v battery topped off ... and for some updates the car needs to be connected to a power supply.
It was not related to the batteries. It is, per the latest update "a software glitch". The batteries are at 80% and the 12v is fine.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
You mentioned that the car won't start - can u ask what exactly happened when you pushed the brake pedal and hit the start button? Did you try starting it remotely from FordPass, either via the cloud or part of PaaK (if you've set that up)?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It was not related to the batteries. It is, per the latest update "a software glitch". The batteries are at 80% and the 12v is fine.
If you have that much info on the HVB and LVB, then the car is not in deep sleep mode.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Seems to me that Ford needs to put more resources into fixing bugs in the software before the general public hears a whole lot about this sort of problem.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Why would he need to do this when he says the car locks and unlocks and he can get in it?

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
In the states, I'd push for a lemon law replacement, but not sure how Canada handles that.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
... During this trip I took my MME to a store with an 80% +/- charge.
Upon re-entering the vehicle, it would not start.
I got out, locked it and unlocked it, still no luck.
The display screen is locked (no buttons working) and there is no where to enter my passcode.
No disrespect, I feel your hurt. Does not sound like 12V, sleep, or deep sleep to me (only my impression).

Maybe (or, maybe not) all it needed was a Sync 4 reset (steering wheel right side seek right and volume down buttons same time. I have had to do this Sync 4 maybe five or six times since Feb. 2020.

... ah, I see, 12 days at dealership, so maybe more serious.

... guess the lock / unlock could be the super capacitors said to back up the electronic door locks, so maybe it still could be 12V bus problem (if not the LVB itself).
Sponsored

Last edited: