Strange Issues with Parking / Brakes

WPJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX
Country flag
I have had my car for about 9 months, and over the last couple of months noticed some new, strange behavior.

When I come to a stop (I use 1 pedal with auto hold) and then put my car into Park, the car kind of rocks back and forth each time. It initially comes to an OK stop using 1 pedal but then once stopped and switched to park, its a very noticeable back and forth rocking.

Sometimes the Parking Brake is also initiating on its own.

Not sure if related, but also on occasion when I come to a stop using 1PD (like at a traffic light), the car will start to move backwards a little bit. It is slow but you can see the car slowly moving backwards for a second or so.

I cant figure out whats causing this behavior but its pretty unpleasant and I know it shouldnt be happening. Is it a brakes issue that needs to be serviced or is there perhaps some settings issue I am missing?

Thanks.
Sponsored

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Mine does this, I just put on the parking brake to stop the rocking. It seems odd and I can't recall if it used to do that. Mine is new.

If the car is on an incline the parking brake will turn on automatically. I read about that.

OP
OP

WPJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX
Country flag
thanks appreciate your response - Im pretty sure we shouldnt need to use a parking brake to keep the car from rocking when it goes into park! mine definitely did not do this until recently.

billyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mache Gt
Country flag
The car is rocking against the parking pawl in the transmission. Maybe they changed how the brakes release, but mine has done that on any sort of incline since I got it a year ago. I use the parking brake to avoid this.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
thanks appreciate your response - Im pretty sure we shouldnt need to use a parking brake to keep the car from rocking when it goes into park! mine definitely did not do this until recently.
I couldn't agree more. It is a strange feeling. The easy solution for Ford is to always apply the parking brake when in park. Seems like that should be a feature of all cars, auto apply, and auto release. The idea of a parking brake is so outdated.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
My 21 started doing this couple of months ago. And my 22 does it too since I took delivery couple of weeks ago. I now manually apply parking brake every time.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
These have a single speed transmission geared like the top gear in an ICE vehicle. The distance traveled per tooth is higher than you would ever experience parking an ICE vehicle, which causes a disturbing amount of rollback. Get in the habit of using the parking brake so you don’t stress the parking pawl.

i got some weird behavior using auto hold. i found smoothly accelerating from a stop in reverse to be difficult. I turned it off and was much happier. If you don’t use 1PD, then I can see a use for it, but there’s no benefit if you have 1PD turned on.

Mauser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e GT-PE Space White
Country flag
I've got under 3000Kms on my car, and it's always done it. A little uneasy at first. I just use the parking brake.

Dustus

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Country flag
Mine has done that frequently when stopping. Seems to happen if I use the foot break to come to a stop even though I have one pedal on because I'm coming up on the curb faster than one pedal wants to stop me. Then when I release the break it kind of rolls back a bit, hits the park break and kind of bounces back and forth. I reapply my foot to the break to stop that momentum and it stops it.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
For a while I had the stopped rolling back issue. I'm not sure if I've gotten used to it, or if its gone away. I'll have to pay closer attention tomorrow on my drive. I know when it first started it was very startling as it will roll back a decent distance when it does it.

Never had the parking brake issue, car loves to rock when putting it in park, I think it's always done that.
Sponsored