Stunning How Ford Dealers are sabotaging the success of the brand....

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
....and Ford is powerless to do anything about it. The dealership model which is protected by law in most states needs to be revisited

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/11/2...-buyer-itd-probably-be-better-to-buy-a-tesla/
Unfortunately, right now markup is on everything. If you go on Youtube, you'll see it's not a Ford issue, it's a general dealership issue. Some Toyota dealerships are marking up their cars 100%. Yes you read right 100%. A Rav 4 prime was selling for 90K$ at one dealer with all kind of added mandatory "accessories". There is currently a 2 year wait for a RAV 4 prime, so if you want get ready to pay. Tesla is also having issues. They just increased pricing and are telling all their customers that order one, if you don't pick it up in 30 days we will cancel your order. (Before customers could delay pick up without losing their car)

Ford probably wants to get away from the dealership model but their hands are tied. Once the dealer owns the car, their is not much they can do.

Edit: Dont get me started on video cards and video game consoles.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
....and Ford is powerless to do anything about it. The dealership model which is protected by law in most states needs to be revisited

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/11/2...-buyer-itd-probably-be-better-to-buy-a-tesla/
Consider the source. Clean Technica is citing an article in Teslarati (far from an unbiased source) who cites a Reddit Post in a Tesla Subreddit, but shows no evidence. Now the original post has been deleted by the OP. I'm not sure this ever really happened.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Some Toyota dealerships are marking up their cars 100%. Yes you read right 100%. A Rav 4 prime was selling for 90K$ at one dealer with all kind of added mandatory "accessories". There is currently a 2 year wait for a RAV 4 prime, so if you want get ready to pay.
Yes, a lot of RAV4 Primes are marked up, but that’s just one crazy dealer with the 100% markup, which quickly went viral. A 2 year waiting list is not real. I just bought one.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Consider the source. Clean Technica is citing an article in Teslarati (far from an unbiased source) who cites a Reddit Post in a Tesla Subreddit, but shows no evidence. Now the original post has been deleted by the OP. I'm not sure this ever really happened.
I've looked at the Teslarati article and some things do not make sense. They are showing a showroom car with the markup but mention an order. We would need to see the window sticker. If it's green, it's a custom order, if blue, a stock order. I smell bullshit in this one.

We have seen a lot of trolls here trying to make Ford and the dealers look bad with some pretty crude false stories. Based on my experience, neither Ford or the dealers need any help in this ares.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, a lot of RAV4 Primes are marked up, but that’s just one crazy dealer with the 100% markup, which quickly went viral. A 2 year waiting list is not real. I just bought one.
You bought off the lot, or ordered one?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You bought off the lot, or ordered on3e?
You can’t order them in the US. I called a few dealers until I found one that had one inbound with what I was looking for. I put a deposit on it and picked it up when it arrived 3 weeks later. It wasn’t all that difficult.

Yes, a lot of dealers have waiting lists, but 2 years is just crazy talk.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
That's insane, I don't know why anyone would even pay prices or a markup like that for a RAV 4.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's insane, I don't know why anyone would even pay prices or a markup like that for a RAV 4.
Nobody would. But that doesn’t mean one crazy dealer isn’t going to test it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Stunning How Ford Dealers are sabotaging the success of the brand.... D7BFC36B-8768-4721-B08D-18FBD4D16BF2

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Indeed, and of all the times we have heard of Ford execs intervening, I’ve never heard of a phone call between the exec and the potential buyer, all done over Twitter or some other social media.

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
People are upset about markup but everyone seems cool with Tesla increasing price from the get go. Bottom line, people end up paying more money for the car. It’s just the fact that you don’t pay the price you see on a sticker that upsets people.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
People are upset about markup but everyone seems cool with Tesla increasing price from the get go. Bottom line, people end up paying more money for the car. It’s just the fact that you don’t pay the price you see on a sticker that upsets people.
Welcome to 2021. That's why I don't really care for this article. There are stores selling video cards 3 years old that been long discontinued for more than what sold for back then. Everything is affected and the bigger the demand, the higher the markup.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
It's ironic that because Tesla has no dealers it raises prices, as much as $20k not on the Model Y, that everybody has to pay but that's OK because they're raising the MSRP. Ford, on the other hand, hasn't raised the MSRP but the dealers have raised the price instead but it's not OK.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
It's ironic that because Tesla has no dealers it raises prices, as much as $20k not on the Model Y, that everybody has to pay but that's OK because they're raising the MSRP. Ford, on the other hand, hasn't raised the MSRP but the dealers have raised the price instead but it's not OK.
It’s been speculated that Tesla is raising prices with an eye on their buyers being able to claim tax credits again if and when BBB passes.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
People who get mad a dealers for mark-up don't know how dealerships work - Ford sells the car to the dealer. The dealer owns the car. Then they sell it to you. When supply and demand are in equilibrium, they can't sell above MSRP because you'll walk to the next dealer and pay MSRP (assuming there is no collusion). When demand exceeds supply, like for most things today, prices go up. ECON-101. Some states / provinces have price gouging laws (the Gov. of Ontario went after people gouging PPE and hand sanitizer early in the pandemic) but I don't think we are there yet.

It's frustrating, it makes Ford look bad, but it's just how a free market works. It's better than a planned economy ;-)
Sponsored