Sudden acceleration in parking lots/accidently pressing the cruise control button

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
I'm probably not the only one who has experienced this. You are in a parking lot, trying to park. You are turning the wheel and accidently hit the cruise control button. If you have it set to intelligent cruise control, and it knows the speed limit, it instantly tries to get to that speed. you have to hit the brakes quickly or smack into whatever is in front of you.

Tesla you have to pull their lever 2x to engage the autopilot. I would love to see either a long press, or a double tap to activate it.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Same with any ICE Ford. Turn it off.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Can’t say that I’ve experienced this. Interesting human factors design problem though.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
You’re actually using the speed recognition feature? That thing would have me going all kinds of different speeds lol.
turned mine off immediately so I’ve never had this problem. Would seem odd to not have a min speed to activate.

OP
OP
tfitzgex

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
I'm in a parking lot (my parking lot) where there are no speed signs. It is remembered from last sighting or whatever. It happened to me today as I was flipping it around to back in to my spot. There is no way I was going fast. I notice when I use it in stop and go traffic, if I have stopped, and it isn't going to automatically go, all I have to do is press on the pedal a little and bam, I'm headed towards the last posted speed.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
I accidentally activate it all the time. The palm of my thumb completely covers the button if I hold the wheel at 9 o-clock and it gets pressed all the time. Several times when creeping up to a stop sign after the car in front of me went, the car has wanted to accelerate right in to the intersection. I don't use the speed limit recognition. I use one pedal drive, so I think the action of accelerating and then removing my foot re-engages it and my foot isn't on the brake to disengage it.

Honestly, I think it's rather dangerous. The button is too close to the outside of the wheel where it can (and does) get pressed unknowingly. The button should be further in and there should be a secondary action required to engage.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I'm probably not the only one who has experienced this. You are in a parking lot, trying to park. You are turning the wheel and accidently hit the cruise control button. If you have it set to intelligent cruise control, and it knows the speed limit, it instantly tries to get to that speed. you have to hit the brakes quickly or smack into whatever is in front of you.

Tesla you have to pull their lever 2x to engage the autopilot. I would love to see either a long press, or a double tap to activate it.
I prefer a single press to activate the cruise control. Have never had it attempt to activate at slow speeds or a parking lot. In fact, I don't think cruise control can activate at parking lot speeds?

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yup, 100% have had this happen to me a few times. I've not had it speed up as I turned that off, but I have let my foot off the peddle, I use 1PD, and come to find out the car wanted to keep going when it should be stopping lol

Had this happen for the first time a week or two ago. Then I had it happen when pulling into my driveway the other day. Luckily it just turned the system on, I was going too slow for it to set the speed.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It can be set for 15 of higher.

If set on 60, and you hit resume, the car will accelerate to that speed. Stop and Go is exactly that feature.
Sponsored