Suggested Improvement Request (SIR) - better cargo cover & catches

RRM_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GT, 19 Bullitt, 07 Mustang GT
Country flag
My BMW X5 45e came with one like that and it was handy to have on trip when carrying stuff in the back.
My 1988 GT came with one like that but i bet the extra pound of weight killed it for Ford. Should have been an option.
Sponsored

RRM_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GT, 19 Bullitt, 07 Mustang GT
Country flag
Thank you!!! This has been driving me nuts as I often have the windows rolled down. I was starting to think of elastic or something like that...but I did not like any solution. Your "life hack" did the trick!

In my case, I could not find any soaker hose (without purchase of a 50' hose) so I purchased a 3/8" fuel line and a 1/8" metal rod. It seems to have given enough heft to the cover to keep it from flopping around.

(And yes I flipped the cover over in the first 2 days I had the car. The floating Ford logo was distracting.)
I sharpie’ed out the logo early on. It was a bit distracting. Putting it on the bottom is something else I would think they could have figured out. But then again, I didn't.

Last edited:

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
My BMW X5 45e came with one like that and it was handy to have on trip when carrying stuff in the back.
The BMW ones are a thing of beauty. Retractable cover, which can stay in place or pop up with a double-press of the tailgate release button. Plus the retractable vertical mesh cover. And forward-install seat down luggage carrier mode

PsYfY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium Mustang Mach E (Vapor Blue Metalic)
Occupation
School Psychologist
Country flag
I found a pretty good solution to fix the Mach E cargo cover flapping in the wind when the windows are open:
  • I used soaker hose (regular garden soaker hose, black, outside diameter 1/2”)
  • Slice the hose down one side and slide it over the front edge of the cargo cover .
  • After it was on the cargo cover I slid a piece of 1/8” steel rod inside it to give it a little extra weight. It’s enough weight to keep the from edge down so the wind doesn’t get under it.
  • Had all the windows open at 65mph and the cover didn’t move
  • E29EA81B-2148-44F5-84EA-337BDBDDAA51.jpeg
    507F7E02-59F1-482A-BC14-9F0EF45FEFD3.jpeg
Awesome idea! Found this after the first day of driving my MME with the windows down and being unbelievably distracted by the flapping privacy screen. Stopped at the hardware store on the way home, got the supplies and installed this fix in less than 15 minutes. Worked perfectly and barely noticeable. Great idea!

JDP That's Me in My MachE

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E Premium Extended Range
Country flag
yup…Agree with this improvement request. Ford please address this minor annoyance on your fabulous car!

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
I made a weighted edge to the front edge of the cover (a slit black fuel line and a steel rod). This stopped it from flapping all the way to highway speed, but I discovered that the cars range is dramatically lower with the window(s) open. than running the AC.

So now I use the flapping cover as my warning. When the cover is flapping, I roll up the windows.

I no longer use the weight.

My 2¢

Larry

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anybody try this 🔥?

the one I actually use is the bread twisty tie on each side so the things stays where it should.
Sponsored