Suggested Improvement Request (SIR) - easy access ports in Frunk to maintenance points and 12v Connection points

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I find it RIDICULOUS to have to remove 'beauty panels', or the Frunk center bin, to gain access to maintenance and/or emergency points. I am hoping that Ford will design in easy access ports in next model year for:

- 12v LVB connection points for easy access to give, or (hopefully not) receive a 'jump'
- HV disconnect/interlock for Service and Emergency when HV traction pack needs to be disconnected for safety.
- fusebox access to inspect/replace fuses
- all fluid fill/check access points
Sponsored

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I find it RIDICULOUS to have to remove 'beauty panels', or the Frunk center bin, to gain access to maintenance and/or emergency points. I am hoping that Ford will design in easy access ports in next model year for:

- 12v LVB connection points for easy access to give, or (hopefully not) receive a 'jump'
- HV disconnect/interlock for Service and Emergency when HV traction pack needs to be disconnected for safety.
I want the same coffee he is drinking :)

The fuse box is a big deal to change, but I do not see why all of us cannot at least get a replacement right side cover with doors at the key access points.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I want the same coffee he is drinking :)

The fuse box is a big deal to change, but I do not see why all of us cannot at least get a replacement right side cover with doors at the key access points.
I can cut holes and will in mine, and MIGHT even add hinges/panel covers, but I really am strongly against hiding maintenance/service/safety access points.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker

I think you're not meant to give a 'jump' at any time.

Furthermore I prefer not to be in maintenance areas and that there is no need to.
In my current car I have not been there in nearly 4 years?

fmcgirt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E
Country flag

Since my Mach-E arrived with a dry windshield washer reservoir I decided I had better check the coolant and brake fluid. The panels were a pain to remove and I totally agree that simple inspection doors should have been supplied instead.

For those of you who do intend to remove the panels you might use a little care. In my case two of the clips went flying and I was lucky they did not drop down into the guts rather than on top of the wiper blades.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Since my Mach-E arrived with a dry windshield washer reservoir I decided I had better check the coolant and brake fluid. The panels were a pain to remove and I totally agree that simple inspection doors should have been supplied instead.

For those of you who do intend to remove the panels you might use a little care. In my case two of the clips went flying and I was lucky they did not drop down into the guts rather than on top of the wiper blades.
Not disagreeing with any of the easier to open, door, or hinged panel ideas, but having had the panels off and on many times now, I find it pretty easy now. Just added a couple of trim tools to my emergency collection in the frunk for field work, which may never happen.

In the event something important drops into the abyss, it is a PITA to drop the front belly cover, which I've had to do once now. There are screws in a front row, snap fittings in a second row, and the back most row is screws again (different size head). Then, there are two snap fasteners in each wheel well. All told, there are some 20+ fasters to drop the front belly panel. If you don't get any fastener dropped in there from the top panels recovered right away, they are most likely gone, because there are several openings to the road down there too.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Looks like I will be adding an aircraft jump/charge port to my GT when I get it.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Looks like I will be adding an aircraft jump/charge port to my GT when I get it.
I will likely be going back (after I install a hitch) to provide easier access to the LVB connection points because I plan to enable a quick plug-in Inverter for jobsite/camping power... The eventual goal would be to provide emergency power at the house as well in case of Grid outages.

The amount of energy on board in the mach-e can easily run my entire house for a week if needed.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Not disagreeing with any of the easier to open, door, or hinged panel ideas, but having had the panels off and on many times now, I find it pretty easy now. ... snip
true, it is not THAT hard to pop off the beauty panels.... but these types of clips are not intended to be on/off that many times. The risk of breaking them, or losing them, or breaking the panels themselves if it is cold and dark and you are in a hurry is a PIA that would be easy to avoid with a few more easy-to-open ports where needed over service/emergency points.
Sponsored