NestNowEmpty

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
My wife and I just returned from our second summer road trip in our June 2021 build 1 Mach-E California Route 1. Given all the concerns about charging, etc, I wanted to share because we had no issues and found the Mach-E to be a great car for road trips.

Our first road trip was 16 days from late July to early August. We traveled from Los Angeles to Seattle on the I-5 stopping at Crater Lake and Portland. After a few days in Seattle, we crossed the sound on a ferry, went across the Olympic Peninsula, and then worked our way down the coast. Since we lived in LA, we started and ended with long, all-day drives to/from Northern California, saving the rest of California for weekend trips.

The car was great on all fronts. Bluecruise hands-free worked well on the freeways, although the way California paints the lines with a break at the exits gave it some issues. We were mostly without hands-free on the way down the coast, but the lane centering worked well.

Most of our charging problems occurred on this trip instead of our trip to the midwest, which surprised me because the west coast should have the most robust charging infrastructure.

The EA at the Patterson, CA Walmart was a mess. Three chargers were not working, and the other ones were slow and occupied. So we went over to the Tracy, CA Walmart. Same issues there. We got a little electricity at a Chargepoint there in Tracy, CA, and then ā€œfilled upā€ at the EA in Stockton, CA.

Our other issue was in Kelso, WA. We had left Portland with an 80% charge and wanted to "top off" to get to Mt Saint Helens and then to Seattle. Again, the chargers were not functioning. Even though it was tight, we pressed ahead and made it to the Mt Saint Helens overlook and then to Lacy, WA with 15% remaining in the battery. Regenerative charging is a great thing. It was the only range anxiety the entire summer.

To get to and explore Crater Lake we used the Chargepoint chargers in Klamath Falls, OR. They were perfect ā€” made the entire Crater Lake visit easy. They seemed pretty new. A great example of good charger placement.

We got around the Olympic National Park using the chargers at the lodges, which were reasonably reliable. I had it planned out to use the EA charger in Port Angeles, WA if the lodges didnā€™t work out, but it wasnā€™t needed.

On this trip, we logged 3,498 miles, charged at L2 chargers 4 times and L3 chargers 30 times. The total of all charging was 952 KWs costing $242.44 or $0.25/KW.

The second trip was 26 days and involved driving my son to college in Dayton, OH. After dropping him off, my wife and I slowly headed back across the country to visit family/friends and National Parks.

From LA, we traveled through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana, reaching Dayton, OH in four days.

Heading back, we spent time with family and friends in Northern Indiana; Sheboygan County, Wisconsin; outside St. Louis, Missouri; outside Kansas City; Denver; and Silverthorne, CO. Then we went to Moab, UT to see Arches National Park and to Kanab, UT, visiting Bryce Canyon National Park on the way and Zion National Park while staying in Kanab. We took our boxer mix dog with us on the second trip.

There were very few issues with chargers on the second trip. I fought with a charger on the OK Turnpike, but in retrospect, I was trying to use my credit card, and I probably couldā€™ve used the Ford app. The only other issue we had was limited L3 charging in Wisconsin. The Airbnb owner let us use their electricity (110V) to give us the boost we needed.

There are good Chargepoint chargers in Kanab, UT which were critical to getting us to Zion National Park (and if we had chosen to, the north rim of the Grand Canyon). Another case of good charger placement.

On this trip, we logged 6,429 miles, charged on our L1 charger twice, L2 chargers 12 times, and L3 chargers 50 times. We obtained 1,919 KWs of electricity for $414.58 or $0.22/KW. Our costs were cut in the final 2-3 days since EA was free because of the app maintenance.

Based on some posts in this forum, I was concerned about the motion sensors setting off the alarm on the ferry and when we left the dog in the car. But turning off the walk-away lock and the motion sensors worked every time (even if it was inconvenient to go into settings every time I needed the motion sensors off). Similarly, we found it easy to leave the dog in the car with the A/C on by turning off the shutdown timer and manually locking the car. The only downside was that it was inconvenient to go into the setting tabs and the double honk of the horn was a bit annoying, especially in the national parks. We left a sign on the console letting any snoopers know that the car was on for the dog and had no issues.

Apple Maps outperformed the Ford navigation, so we stuck to that for charging recommendations. Early on, Iā€™d double-check with ABRP, but I found Apple Maps reliable and generally didnā€™t even check ABRP unless I was pushing it (for example, stopping at Bryce Canyon National Park on the drive from Moab, UT to Kanab, UT).

Hope this gets more people on road trips with their Mach-Es - we had a great time!
Sponsored

AstralLiving

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE in Dark Matter Gray
Occupation
Video Game Producer
Country flag
I love reading something purely good! Thanks for sharing!

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Great information. Thanks!

One comment. With electricity we pay by the kilowatt hour since KW is a unit of power and KWH is the unit of total energy used.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Great information. Thanks!

One comment. With electricity we pay by the kilowatt hour since KW is a unit of power and KWH is the unit of total energy used.
Is there a ā€œscream emoji?ā€ Yes there is!

šŸ˜±

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Great write-ups on your trips! šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

I guess the EA units in Patterson died some time between when I was there in March and when you were there. Bummer, but glad you were able to find alternative charging. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Great post. Tru dat on EA charging kinda crumbling. Car is great. The network is not.
Glad you had a great trip

Jes sayin. As always. Nothing better than American highways through our gorgeous nation.

OP
OP

NestNowEmpty

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Great post. Tru dat on EA charging kinda crumbling. Car is great. The network is not.
Glad you had a great trip

Jes sayin. As always. Nothing better than American highways through our gorgeous nation.
Wow. I would not say that. My takeaway from the road trip is that EA has a robust charging network that you can count on for road trips.

I charged at EA chargers something like 75 times this summer. There were two bad ones. Maybe 5 other times I pulled into a slot and saw the charger wasn't working or it started slow so I switched to the next charger. In fact, I showed up at EA charging stations with technicians working on the chargers more times than the number of times that I had issues with chargers.

Here is my only EA complaint: almost all the EA chargers are at Walmarts or Targets and almost none had anything else within a reasonable walking distance. My favorite EA chargers were at Casey's or Flying J or Love's truck stops. All those had plenty of choices, clean restrooms, and some even had window washing stations, trash cans, and dog parks.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Wow. I would not say that.
Iā€™m glad your experience was positive. Iā€™ve had less luck and some issues. Coming from a Tesla I guess I expect more since I never had an issue @supercharger. In that case their network is better than their car and our scenario is the opposite in my opinion.

Jes sayin. Enjoy electron pony. 1 million times better car and much prettier than anything that mister musk dreams up.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
My wife and I just returned from our second summer road trip in our June 2021 build 1 Mach-E California Route 1. Given all the concerns about charging, etc, I wanted to share because we had no issues and found the Mach-E to be a great car for road trips.

Our first road trip was 16 days from late July to early August. We traveled from Los Angeles to Seattle on the I-5 stopping at Crater Lake and Portland. After a few days in Seattle, we crossed the sound on a ferry, went across the Olympic Peninsula, and then worked our way down the coast. Since we lived in LA, we started and ended with long, all-day drives to/from Northern California, saving the rest of California for weekend trips.

The car was great on all fronts. Bluecruise hands-free worked well on the freeways, although the way California paints the lines with a break at the exits gave it some issues. We were mostly without hands-free on the way down the coast, but the lane centering worked well.

Most of our charging problems occurred on this trip instead of our trip to the midwest, which surprised me because the west coast should have the most robust charging infrastructure.

The EA at the Patterson, CA Walmart was a mess. Three chargers were not working, and the other ones were slow and occupied. So we went over to the Tracy, CA Walmart. Same issues there. We got a little electricity at a Chargepoint there in Tracy, CA, and then ā€œfilled upā€ at the EA in Stockton, CA.

Our other issue was in Kelso, WA. We had left Portland with an 80% charge and wanted to "top off" to get to Mt Saint Helens and then to Seattle. Again, the chargers were not functioning. Even though it was tight, we pressed ahead and made it to the Mt Saint Helens overlook and then to Lacy, WA with 15% remaining in the battery. Regenerative charging is a great thing. It was the only range anxiety the entire summer.

To get to and explore Crater Lake we used the Chargepoint chargers in Klamath Falls, OR. They were perfect ā€” made the entire Crater Lake visit easy. They seemed pretty new. A great example of good charger placement.

We got around the Olympic National Park using the chargers at the lodges, which were reasonably reliable. I had it planned out to use the EA charger in Port Angeles, WA if the lodges didnā€™t work out, but it wasnā€™t needed.

On this trip, we logged 3,498 miles, charged at L2 chargers 4 times and L3 chargers 30 times. The total of all charging was 952 KWs costing $242.44 or $0.25/KW.

The second trip was 26 days and involved driving my son to college in Dayton, OH. After dropping him off, my wife and I slowly headed back across the country to visit family/friends and National Parks.

From LA, we traveled through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana, reaching Dayton, OH in four days.

Heading back, we spent time with family and friends in Northern Indiana; Sheboygan County, Wisconsin; outside St. Louis, Missouri; outside Kansas City; Denver; and Silverthorne, CO. Then we went to Moab, UT to see Arches National Park and to Kanab, UT, visiting Bryce Canyon National Park on the way and Zion National Park while staying in Kanab. We took our boxer mix dog with us on the second trip.

There were very few issues with chargers on the second trip. I fought with a charger on the OK Turnpike, but in retrospect, I was trying to use my credit card, and I probably couldā€™ve used the Ford app. The only other issue we had was limited L3 charging in Wisconsin. The Airbnb owner let us use their electricity (110V) to give us the boost we needed.

There are good Chargepoint chargers in Kanab, UT which were critical to getting us to Zion National Park (and if we had chosen to, the north rim of the Grand Canyon). Another case of good charger placement.

On this trip, we logged 6,429 miles, charged on our L1 charger twice, L2 chargers 12 times, and L3 chargers 50 times. We obtained 1,919 KWs of electricity for $414.58 or $0.22/KW. Our costs were cut in the final 2-3 days since EA was free because of the app maintenance.

Based on some posts in this forum, I was concerned about the motion sensors setting off the alarm on the ferry and when we left the dog in the car. But turning off the walk-away lock and the motion sensors worked every time (even if it was inconvenient to go into settings every time I needed the motion sensors off). Similarly, we found it easy to leave the dog in the car with the A/C on by turning off the shutdown timer and manually locking the car. The only downside was that it was inconvenient to go into the setting tabs and the double honk of the horn was a bit annoying, especially in the national parks. We left a sign on the console letting any snoopers know that the car was on for the dog and had no issues.

Apple Maps outperformed the Ford navigation, so we stuck to that for charging recommendations. Early on, Iā€™d double-check with ABRP, but I found Apple Maps reliable and generally didnā€™t even check ABRP unless I was pushing it (for example, stopping at Bryce Canyon National Park on the drive from Moab, UT to Kanab, UT).

Hope this gets more people on road trips with their Mach-Es - we had a great time!
Great report. Just too bad you missed Canyonlands . Liked it so much better than Arches! and fewer people...

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
I did 2 trips Austin to Boston this summer. First with Tesla then another with MME.
With Tesla, I'm confident I can pull into a supercharger station with 5% left and get charged up. Only 1 charger was labeled down in all stations I used. Always more than 50% chargers available when I pulled in. 2 stations had dog parks nearby.

With MME, all using EA chargers, not confident at all. Actually down south where stations are separated about 100 miles apart, I just stopped by each one of them. Many had 2 or more chargers down out of 4. At one station I wasn't able to charge. At least 3 other times I had to switch charger either couldn't charge or 31 kW. I didn't see any dog parks near EA stations.
I only had to wait once during the trip though, and only a short time, even CCS chargers are much fewer than Tesla.

I did had to wait more than half hour 2 weeks before my trip at an EA station.

duneii

First Name
Siri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in '18, Mach E LR AWD-order
Country flag
My wife and I just returned from our second summer road trip in our June 2021 build 1 Mach-E California Route 1.

Thanks for the great write up! Sounds like a wonderful summer. Our AWD Premium built in the same month & year and glad to know no big issues whatsoever.

Once our kids are a bit older in a few years and can appreciate what they see, I want to take them on a similar cross country summer road trip. For someone not born in the US, there is an allure to wandering the country by road (and the modern twist) in a Mustang EV using electrcity. Now have to save up vacation days...

CA RTE 1

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA RTE 1 ER, Escape, and Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Wonderful and thanks for sharing.

varuna90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag

Nice notes. Where did you charged around Bryce Canyon? Thanks for the help..
Sponsored