Survey: High Voltage Battery Junction Box issues?

Has your car experienced a failure related to the High Voltage Battery Junction Box?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
The opinions and emotions about the failures around the High Voltage Battery Junction Box are running high (and it's understandably frustrating for people who have experienced it) and it's difficult to tease out the incident rate and other facts about this. There are also several running conversations about the engineering of this assembly and a lot of sleuthing going on in several threads.

I thought I'd start a new thread just for pulling facts and speculation about the issue. This isn't meant to be a place to complain about Ford, the Mustang, or anything else. There will still be opinions and speculation posted here, but it's meant to try to pull together data, facts, and the like so people who are interested can find those things in one spot.

Update:

First draft of the Google Form survey is here (your email address is not shared; I have verified this within the spreadsheet):

https://forms.gle/w5VpcyMLv8LecH3G7

If you can think of missing questions, please post on this thread, but note that once there are a lot of responses it will be difficult to add questions.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Mine was replaced as well as the BECM due to a Stop Safely Now (2 actually) activation while the dealer was performing the test drive after the 20k service. I'd have to check paperwork but I think it was about 7 days to get the car back. A rental was provided

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
A little over 37,000 miles without any known HVBJB issues. If there was a flaw in my car then I surely would have exposed it by now. That being said, there is no question that some issue exists due to other forum member experiences. We just don't know what that issue is and how prevalent it might be. Would be very curious to learn the facts but with such limited production of these cars, we may never know.

If this was an F series.....we would find out pretty quick because Ford produces so many of those trucks that problems can't hide for long. Those owners figure it out pretty quick because the community is so large.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
A little over 37,000 miles without any known HVBJB issues. If there was a flaw in my car then I surely would have exposed it by now. That being said, there is no question that some issue exists due to other forum member experiences. We just don't know what that issue is and how prevalent it might be. Would be very curious to learn the facts but with such limited production of these cars, we may never know.

If this was an F series.....we would find out pretty quick because Ford produces so many of those trucks that problems can't hide for long. Those owners figure it out pretty quick because the community is so large.
Absolutely, there's no question this is something that's happening and that it totally sucks for the people it's happening to.

I'm a data nerd so I was hoping to create a space that can gather as much of the information as possible.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The opinions and emotions about the failures around the High Voltage Battery Junction Box are running high (and it's understandably frustrating for people who have experienced it) and it's difficult to tease out the incident rate and other facts about this. There are also several running conversations about the engineering of this assembly and a lot of sleuthing going on in several threads.

I thought I'd start a new thread just for pulling facts and speculation about the issue. This isn't meant to be a place to complain about Ford, the Mustang, or anything else. There will still be opinions and speculation posted here, but it's meant to try to pull together data, facts, and the like so people who are interested can find those things in one spot.

Thanks!

I'd suggest breaking this into 4 possible responses, and re-polling:

yes, and I have EX battery
no, and I have EX battery
yes, and I have SR battery
no, and I have SR battery

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I'm going to bring in some quotes from other threads as well.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I'd suggest breaking this into 4 possible responses, and re-polling:

yes, and I have EX battery
no, and I have EX battery
yes, and I have SR battery
no, and I have SR battery
I'm not very savvy with polls. Do I have to create a new thread to do so?

Malacandra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, DMG
Occupation
Web Development Director
Country flag
Indeterminate.

Right now my car is in the shop with daily morning “12V Battery Fault” messages, and the service technicians are trying to debug it.

In this forum (and others) folks have suggested that it could be a high voltage battery junction box issue, but that remains to be diagnosed.

So, you could say that I’m in Schrödinger’s High Voltage Battery Junction Box.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think build date, model, and DCFC use may be helpful if gathering data. Too hard to pol but would be interesting to ask if they press the plug release and wait before unplugging.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm not very savvy with polls. Do I have to create a new thread to do so?
The forum isn't great for surveys that include multiple factors. As a data nerd, if you really want to collect a matrix of responses that you can sift and mine through, you'll probably need to create something with Google Forms or similar and post a link to it here.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag