HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
This happened immediately upon starting the car and shortly after level 2 charging at home in my garage. Quite a loud fan noise like someone holding a playing card inside a box fan. Definitely abnormal like nothing I’ve heard before. I’m used to the more quiet hums and noises the car makes. It was accompanied by Service Vehicle Soon on the display. I turned the car off, back on, and all is normal. This is a new ‘23 GT I’ve had for a month.

Should I be concerned? Now I’m just waiting for it to happen again and I don’t want to get stuck somewhere.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This happened immediately upon starting the car and shortly after level 2 charging at home in my garage. Quite a loud fan noise like someone holding a playing card inside a box fan. Definitely abnormal like nothing I’ve heard before. I’m used to the more quiet hums and noises the car makes. It was accompanied by Service Vehicle Soon on the display. I turned the car off, back on, and all is normal. This is a new ‘23 GT I’ve had for a month.

Should I be concerned? Now I’m just waiting for it to happen again and I don’t want to get stuck somewhere.
When the car over heated in the beginning the cooling fan took off and sounded as you describe. Sounded like it was hurting but Ford replied here and note it causes no damage. Is something blocking the cars front vents or they are not working? Guess if it is normal now drive it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The SVS should have thrown a DTC. If you don’t have a code reader, there are members here who can retrieve them if you give them your VIN.

OP
OP
HondaRacer

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
When the car over heated in the beginning the cooling fan took off and sounded as you describe. Sounded like it was hurting but Ford replied here and note it causes no damage. Is something blocking the cars front vents or they are not working? Guess if it is normal now drive it.
There were some leaves that had blown into the garage. Not many, but perhaps one blocked a fan inlet underneath? Nothing at all by the front inlets.

OP
OP
HondaRacer

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
The SVS should have thrown a DTC. If you don’t have a code reader, there are members here who can retrieve them if you give them your VIN.
If someone can do that via private message, I’d be happy to send my VIN. Thanks.

Kmp14

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Country flag
I frequently hear something like that when I remote start while the vehicle is plugged in. Walk out to the garage, hear the sound, ignore it, disconnect the charging cable, happily drive away. :) I am usually the type that worries about every sound, but I am focused on NOT doing that with my MME. I think the sound is normal.

OP
OP
HondaRacer

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
I frequently hear something like that when I remote start while the vehicle is plugged in. Walk out to the garage, hear the sound, ignore it, disconnect the charging cable, happily drive away. :) I am usually the type that worries about every sound, but I am focused on NOT doing that with my MME. I think the sound is normal.
Good to know. But I’d be less concerned if I hadn’t seen SVS and a yellow wrench symbol.

Kmp14

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Country flag
Good to know. But I’d be less concerned if I hadn’t seen SVS and a yellow wrench symbol.
Yeah, sorry, I didn't realize that SVS means "Service Vehicle Soon" even though you clearly said it in your post. Reading is a skill, duh on me.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There were some leaves that had blown into the garage. Not many, but perhaps one blocked a fan inlet underneath? Nothing at all by the front inlets.
One leave should not do it there are two sets of vents and are spaced. I know It does not like its vents blocked. There is a European YouTube video of it during his L2 charging (2021?) he lived in row housing and neighbors were not happy at all. Maybe search it to see if that is the sound.

OP
OP
HondaRacer

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
One leave should not do it there are two sets of vents and are spaced. I know It does not like its vents blocked. There is a European YouTube video of it during his L2 charging (2021?) he lived in row housing and neighbors were not happy at all. Maybe search it to see if that is the sound.

This might be it. Sounds similar if it also had that thwacking “playing card in a fan sound.” May indeed have been a leaf. But I’ve never heard the fan this loud. I don’t think that would be normal for level 2 charging in a 50 degree garage?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

This might be it. Sounds similar if it also had that thwacking “playing card in a fan sound.” May indeed have been a leaf. But I’ve never heard the fan this loud. I don’t think that would be normal for level 2 charging in a 50 degree garage?
Appears there are a few videos around. The one I mentioned was pretty comical. It wasn't normal and was fixed. That is the fan noise working hard (too hard for L2). Guess you didn't know you had a jet engine in there? ;) Maybe check the vents make sure they are not blocked and are working. And the codes will help. Good to know it's working now.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
SOBDMC P0AEE Drive Motor Inverter Temperature Sensor 'A' Circuit Range/Performance

So that would appear to be a failed temperature sensor inside the rear motor inverter causing the failsafe cooling to activate. This will require a dealer visit.

OP
OP
HondaRacer

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
SOBDMC P0AEE Drive Motor Inverter Temperature Sensor 'A' Circuit Range/Performance

So that would appear to be a failed temperature sensor inside the rear motor inverter causing the failsafe cooling to activate. This will require a dealer visit.
Ok thank you and everyone. This forum is amazing.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Mach-E concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored