Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I saw here somewhere (can't find it now) where it was shown that a premium wheel would physically fit on a GTPE (I think), but is that also the case for swapping the premium wheel for the (non pe) GT? Are the tire sizes close enough that the speedometer and odometer would be very close to the same also?

I may have an opportunity to get a GT with $5k ADM, in place of my FE. Vroom says $53k to buy my FE, waiting to see what carmax and gmtv say. If I trade it in, I'm thinking I would like to keep my Premium (FE) wheels with crossclimate2 tires (235) and put them on the GT, put the GT wheels and stock tires on the FE when trading it in. I like the premium wheels better and I don't want to buy another set (20") of the CC2 tires, although they would be 245 width so a little wider. The 245 tires on the FE would throw it off some I guess.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I saw here somewhere (can't find it now) where it was shown that a premium wheel would physically fit on a GTPE (I think), but is that also the case for swapping the premium wheel for the (non pe) GT? Are the tire sizes close enough that the speedometer and odometer would be very close to the same also?

I may have an opportunity to get a GT with $5k ADM, in place of my FE. Vroom says $53k to buy my FE, waiting to see what carmax and gmtv say. If I trade it in, I'm thinking I would like to keep my Premium (FE) wheels with crossclimate2 tires (235) and put them on the GT, put the GT wheels and stock tires on the FE when trading it in. I like the premium wheels better and I don't want to buy another set (20") of the CC2 tires, although they would be 245 width so a little wider. The 245 tires on the FE would throw it off some I guess.
People here have done swaps both directions with no issues.

That said, with the GT…….. those premium wheels and more importantly the tires will kinda suck from a performance perspective.

Are there no aftermarket wheels that interest you?

I would just buy aftermarket wheels/tires and sell the stock GT ones.

The GT wheels on the FE might actually hurt trade in. They don’t like ANY non-stock parts on trade ins.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The GT wheel is wider than the premium wheel.

OP
OP
highland58

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
People here have done swaps both directions with no issues.

That said, with the GT…….. those premium wheels and more importantly the tires will kinda suck from a performance perspective.

Are there no aftermarket wheels that interest you?

I would just buy aftermarket wheels/tires and sell the stock GT ones.

The GT wheels on the FE might actually hurt trade in. They don’t like ANY non-stock parts on trade ins.
When you say "performance perspective", how do you define that? I'm not into competitive driving or racing, my interests are ride and handling in all conditions. In western Washington, we have a lot of wet roads, some snow from time to time. That is why I got the CrossClimate2 tires, they are highly rated in those conditions. On my Subarus, I had Goodyear TripleTreds, the cars handled well (after bigger rear sway bars) and stuck to the road like glue. I do like to go fast from time to time, but I'm mainly interested in ride quality, handling, and safety.

I was thinking that I could save $1000 by not buying another set of all season tires, but maybe that is not the best idea. The GT wheels are ok, and since they are wider I can get wider tires. 265 width would be nice, I have 235 on my Premium wheels now.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When you say "performance perspective", how do you define that? I'm not into competitive driving or racing, my interests are ride and handling in all conditions. In western Washington, we have a lot of wet roads, some snow from time to time. That is why I got the CrossClimate2 tires, they are highly rated in those conditions. On my Subarus, I had Goodyear TripleTreds, the cars handled well (after bigger rear sway bars) and stuck to the road like glue. I do like to go fast from time to time, but I'm mainly interested in ride quality, handling, and safety.

I was thinking that I could save $1000 by not buying another set of all season tires, but maybe that is not the best idea. The GT wheels are ok, and since they are wider I can get wider tires. 265 width would be nice, I have 235 on my Premium wheels now.
Ah, since you’re limited to all seasons, you’re limited anyways.

But yes, the higher profile and narrower tires won’t handle as well and will be more likely to spin.

Even with the summer tires on my GTPE, I can roast the tires from a stop and spin if I punch it at 30.

I would really check on the trade in values either way. With my Chevy SS, I played with the values on Carvana, Vroom and CarMax. Even just a cold air intake lowered the value by $1500. So I put the stock intake back in before trading it in.

OP
OP
highland58

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Ah, since you’re limited to all seasons, you’re limited anyways.

But yes, the higher profile and narrower tires won’t handle as well and will be more likely to spin.

Even with the summer tires on my GTPE, I can roast the tires from a stop and spin if I punch it at 30.

I would really check on the trade in values either way. With my Chevy SS, I played with the values on Carvana, Vroom and CarMax. Even just a cold air intake lowered the value by $1500. So I put the stock intake back in before trading it in.
I appreciate the feedback, getting wider tires would be great, and less likely to spin is also a good reason. I see the CC2s come in size 255/45/R20, 105V with 60K warranty, and tirerack says they fit on an 8" wheel. Are the GT and GTPE wheels both 8"? I am also looking at a GTPE at another dealer, if they reduce their 10K ADM to 5k I may go that way. My biggest unknown is how well the Magneride works, is it worth the extra cost...

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I appreciate the feedback, getting wider tires would be great, and less likely to spin is also a good reason. I see the CC2s come in size 255/45/R20, 105V with 60K warranty, and tirerack says they fit on an 8" wheel. Are the GT and GTPE wheels both 8"? I am also looking at a GTPE at another dealer, if they reduce their 10K ADM to 5k I may go that way. My biggest unknown is how well the Magneride works, is it worth the extra cost...
Lots of data here on mag ride. I had it on my SS as well and love it.

If you’re interested in handling as you said, well worth it. The recent test of a GTPE with mag ride pulled .99 G!

OP
OP
highland58

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Ok, now I have a GT, I will call Discount tire tomorrow!

OP
OP
highland58

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Congrats! So what did you end up doing?
I got a GT, not the PE. The dealer that I bought my FE through had a GT that somebody had ordered, but they were not ready and cancelled. They had let me know that it might be cancelled a couple of days ago, then today they called and said it had been cancelled and I was next in line if I wanted it. I was down there a couple of hours later with my title and checkbook in hand. They gave me $51K trade-in on the FE, and they wanted $5k over MSRP.
I want to get the 255/45/20 CrossClimate2 tires and the PPF both on asap. If the PE had been ready for me to test drive, I may have gotten it, but I never got to drive it and I just jumped on this one. I waited 14 months for the FE, and 3 days for the GT - crazy!
If I punch it hard, the tires want to break loose and spin, so I can't really get full acceleration. The fronts seem to grab more. Hopefully the new tires will help with that. I've never had an AWD that would spin the tires like that.

lilburnedbear

First Name
Bernd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I got a GT, not the PE. The dealer that I bought my FE through had a GT that somebody had ordered, but they were not ready and cancelled. They had let me know that it might be cancelled a couple of days ago, then today they called and said it had been cancelled and I was next in line if I wanted it. I was down there a couple of hours later with my title and checkbook in hand. They gave me $51K trade-in on the FE, and they wanted $5k over MSRP.
I want to get the 255/45/20 CrossClimate2 tires and the PPF both on asap. If the PE had been ready for me to test drive, I may have gotten it, but I never got to drive it and I just jumped on this one. I waited 14 months for the FE, and 3 days for the GT - crazy!
If I punch it hard, the tires want to break loose and spin, so I can't really get full acceleration. The fronts seem to grab more. Hopefully the new tires will help with that. I've never had an AWD that would spin the tires like that.
So you were able to put the 19" Premium wheels on your GT, right?

OP
OP
highland58

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
So you were able to put the 19" Premium wheels on your GT, right?
I only put new tires on, not wheels. I have the 20" GT wheels still. I'm happy with these wheels, they are easy to clean and a clean look as well.

lilburnedbear

First Name
Bernd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Ok sorry. I thought you had ok 19” wheels with winter tires with your FE you traded in. Looking to do something similar and wanted to make sure the 19”s fit on a non-PE Gt
Sponsored