Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E, 2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Country flag
A lot of good information here. Another question - as someone who will never take it to the track, etc., and really just enjoys the torque at launch and leaving people at the light. I would want the smoothest, quietest ride and whatever performance I get will be fine with me, any suggestions? Unless I were to hear differently, the Pirelli All-season tires mentioned above are probably what I would go with.

And also, I don't want to have to store anything or pay to have anything stored, If I switch them out as soon as I get them to the all-season tires, I assume there is a market for basically new Pirelli summer tires? Will the tire place give you a "trade-in" credit? Or do you have to sell them yourself online? Thanks.
Sponsored

Blusteed

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Mustang GT Vert PP1, '21 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My GTPE is supposed to arrive in 2 weeks, so figure among the first things I'm going to do is get snows on rims to swap out myself, as I do on my other cars. I'm between the Blizzaks and the Pirelli Scorpions, as I want something that will handle a little when the roads are just cold and dry. Challenge I'm finding is that Tire Rack and Discount Tire have somewhat limited choices for the rims, with the least expensive black rims they have in stock right now coming in at almost $400 each. I may have to just suck it up and spend it, though, as the OE summer tires won't cut it here in New York in about a month. Not interested in ripping tires off the stock rims twice a year either. Hoping they get some lower cost rim options in soon. Hate spending that much on winter rims.

OP
OP
Rudy Bega

Rudy Bega

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Nautilus, 21’ Rapid Red GTPE as of 2/14/22
Country flag
I have a set of snow tires and wheels for my Volvo (actually came with the car since it had the full winter package with electrically heated windshield, etc.). I ended up buying another set of all-season tires and dedicated wheels to use during the non-winter months. The snow tires are 18", summer are 19" lower profile, which I have swapped twice a year. Though the "summer" wheels were ordered from a shop in NJ, the tires from tirerack, and the dealer in southern PA, the dealer does this all for free, including re-balancing and storing them in their offsite parts warehouse. They only charged me for the initial installation and balance. Not sure a Ford dealer would be quite as accommodating, but it might be worth a shot to see if they're willing to at least store them for you, especially given the "luxury" marketing of the MME by Ford. It's best to keep the tires in some sort of climate controlled environment when not on the car to prevent dry-rot.
I'm just planning on leaving the GTPE in the garage during the snowy/cold days at 50% charge and drive the Volvo, so personally not worrying about another set.
Thanks, that is an option I am considering as well, keep in garage for anything lower than 45 degrees. Have another car ?

OP
OP
Rudy Bega

Rudy Bega

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Nautilus, 21’ Rapid Red GTPE as of 2/14/22
Country flag
A lot of good information here. Another question - as someone who will never take it to the track, etc., and really just enjoys the torque at launch and leaving people at the light. I would want the smoothest, quietest ride and whatever performance I get will be fine with me, any suggestions? Unless I were to hear differently, the Pirelli All-season tires mentioned above are probably what I would go with.

And also, I don't want to have to store anything or pay to have anything stored, If I switch them out as soon as I get them to the all-season tires, I assume there is a market for basically new Pirelli summer tires? Will the tire place give you a "trade-in" credit? Or do you have to sell them yourself online? Thanks.
FYI, I live in Michigan and I contacted Belle Tire in Novi on Grand River, and they indicated that they would take my new Mach e GTPE Summer tires for 75% trade value if less than 300 miles for a new set. Still debating, but looking at Michelin Cross-Climate 2’s that are recommended and quite I hear. If I go that way, I would drive directly from Dealership. Have a second car, still debating ?

malthusunc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E, 2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Country flag
FYI, I live in Michigan and I contacted Belle Tire in Novi on Grand River, and they indicated that they would take my new Mach e GTPE Summer tires for 75% trade value if less than 300 miles for a new set. Still debating, but looking at Michelin Cross-Climate 2’s that are recommended and quite I hear. If I go that way, I would drive directly from Dealership. Have a second car, still debating ?
I'll call around when the time comes. Thanks for the information.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
My GTPE is supposed to arrive in 2 weeks, so figure among the first things I'm going to do is get snows on rims to swap out myself, as I do on my other cars. I'm between the Blizzaks and the Pirelli Scorpions, as I want something that will handle a little when the roads are just cold and dry. Challenge I'm finding is that Tire Rack and Discount Tire have somewhat limited choices for the rims, with the least expensive black rims they have in stock right now coming in at almost $400 each. I may have to just suck it up and spend it, though, as the OE summer tires won't cut it here in New York in about a month. Not interested in ripping tires off the stock rims twice a year either. Hoping they get some lower cost rim options in soon. Hate spending that much on winter rims.
The best performance winter tire on the market is the Vredestein Wintrac Pro sadly I think TR is out of them in a 245/45/20. I ran them on my MKX last year they are near-silent, aggressive handling, and low rolling resistance. Town Fair, Radial tire, or a few others may still have them. TR does have their Quatrac Pro and that's really good to

Blusteed

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Mustang GT Vert PP1, '21 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The best performance winter tire on the market is the Vredestein Wintrac Pro sadly I think TR is out of them in a 245/45/20. I ran them on my MKX last year they are near-silent, aggressive handling, and low rolling resistance. Town Fair, Radial tire, or a few others may still have them. TR does have their Quatrac Pro and that's really good to
Thanks- I had been looking at the Vredesteins too, and the feedback was very impressive, but I noticed their load rating was a little lower than the other two. The GTPE is so heavy it gave me pause, but now that TR is out of them, that simplifies things a bit. I agree with you though- they appear to be an excellent option.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
I know it’s less work to buy the wheel and tire package, but you should be able to find a fairly decent looking “winter” rim for $200 and then just pay the $20 for mount and balance. The salt and stones on the roads in NY destroy wheels, so I would go that route. Sadly I’m going to use the original GTPE wheel as my “winter setup” because I want to go with a wider summer setup. Unless there is a market for the original PE wheel, in which case I’d sell them and buy a winter wheel too. But the profit would have to be substantial for me to go through that hassle once they are mounted and used a season. Plus, I hate NY winters because the cars look like crap with the salt and constant fender-bergs. So I don’t care much what the wheels looks like during winter. My unlimited touch-less car wash membership gets a workout from Nov-March though and is a steel at $21 a month.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Thanks- I had been looking at the Vredesteins too, and the feedback was very impressive, but I noticed their load rating was a little lower than the other two. The GTPE is so heavy it gave me pause, but now that TR is out of them, that simplifies things a bit. I agree with you though- they appear to be an excellent option.
Load ratings are based on size. For example, a 245/45/20 XL (extra load)would have a load rating of 103 regardless of the brand. A 245/45/20 SL (standard load) would have a load rating of 99. The Mach E uses an XL tire in all sizes.

For my premium there is a miss the 225/55/19 XL has a load rating of 103 and the 225/55/19 is a SL has a load rating of 99. Vred only makes a SL in that size and that won't work. I did end up going 245/50/19 105XL same height and the load range is a little more so it's OK.

For my winters I did 225/60/18 104XL and that works I do realize the GT guys cant use an 18" wheel and that too bad because the weight savings is huge. My 18" wheel/tire combo is 45lbs each the factory 19" setup is 58lbs each and factory 20" setup is 60+ lbs.

if an 18" would fit you would see a big benefit at the dragstrip.

One other note is rotations are very important on a heavy EV. So tires like the Quatrac Pro that can 4 tire rotate offer us a huge advantage over directional tires. Most winter tires are directional, however.

Last edited:

Draconfier

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx-9, Mustang Mach-e GT (on order)
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Based off Tire-rack the tires I'll be replacing my OEM tires on my GT with Continental Extreme Contact Dws06 Plus. I live in the midwest we get enough snow in the Winter along with some icy mix.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Swapping out GTPE Summer Tires for all-seasons Screenshot_20211031-204135_Chrome

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Based off Tire-rack the tires I'll be replacing my OEM tires on my GT with Continental Extreme Contact Dws06 Plus. I live in the midwest we get enough snow in the Winter along with some icy mix.

Screenshot_20211031-204135_Chrome.jpg
Here is the one for the Quatrac pro's I installed, the biggest difference is winter traction. I have had the DWS06 not the newer DWS06 Plus the Quatrac's are noticeable better. But its your car buy what you want

Ford Mustang Mach-E Swapping out GTPE Summer Tires for all-seasons QTP

Draconfier

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx-9, Mustang Mach-e GT (on order)
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Here is the one for the Quatrac pro's I installed, the biggest difference is winter traction. I have had the DWS06 not the newer DWS06 Plus the Quatrac's are noticeable better. But its your car buy what you want

Ford Mustang Mach-E Swapping out GTPE Summer Tires for all-seasons QTP
Hmm Grand Touring AS vs Ultra High Performance AS. Speed rating favors the Continental Dws06 at a Y rating vs the V rating on the Vredsteins. The numbers are off of 2 different vehicles as well. But food for thought.

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
I'm picking up my new MME GT in a few days. Since I live in Southern California, I'd like to switch to Michelin PS4s summer tires from the Continental All-Seasons on the car. If anyone is interested in my tires, please let me know. I'm happy to discount these new tires.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hmm Grand Touring AS vs Ultra High Performance AS. Speed rating favors the Continental Dws06 at a Y rating vs the V rating on the Vredsteins. The numbers are off of 2 different vehicles as well. But food for thought.
Exactly Joel, these are two different tires designed for two different vehicles. However, either one will work very well on the Mach-E depending on what you are after. A Grand Touring All Season tire like the Vredestein Quatrac Pro will give a more comfortable ride and be a little better in winter conditions than an Ultra High Performance All Season, however will be slightly lacking in the handling and steering area as seen in the Tire Rack's testing.

On the other hand, an Ultra High Performance All Season tire like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus is meant to deliver exceptional handling above all so road comfort and winter drive conditions might be a little lacking compared to a Grand Touring All Season.

When Grand Touring tires are tested, they are usually done so on the vehicles they were designed for like Audi SUV's, Chrysler mini-vans, Mazda Crossovers, etc. Ultra High Performance All Seasons are tested on vehicles such as Porsche SUV's, BMW sport coupes, etc. Both the Grand Touring All Season Vredestein's and Ultra High Performance All Season Continental's are great tires and I'm sure will work very well on the Mach-E, just depends on what road manners your preference is in a tire.

With all that said, I am throwing in my 2 cents and preference tire here. I needed an all season tire for the Mach-E and I'm looking for two types of road manners above all, handling and road comfort. I am a Michelin guy and would normally gravitate to their Ultra High Performance Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires however while they handle well, they aren't very good in road comfort (noisy and harsh). Every professional review I have read comments on them having high road noise (including Tire Rack). I had a set on my Escape and they were very annoying.

I went with the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus. While they were second best in handling on the Tire Rack's testing in this class of tires, they came out on top for both ride quality and noise comfort. (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=266) I've had them on the Premium for two weeks now and so far like them very much. A very comfortable and quiet tire and seem to handle very well in the limited time I have driven on them. Will be moving them over to the GT-PE tomorrow and looking forward to really testing them out.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
One thing that I would like to point out is Vredestein places the Quatrac Pro in the UHP category. Tire Rack doesn't they place it as Grand Touring which is probably because it's smoother and quieter than typical UHP tires and winter traction but it's also a disservice because they tire handles like a UPH tire. Vredestein does make a Grand Touring tire it's called the Hitrac.
Sponsored