Tailgate open with foot swipe - need key fob or PAAK in your pocket? FordPass active?

05reinvent

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just another side of this question. When using auto foot kick, do you need to have fob or PAAK in your pocket? Does Ford Pass need to be active?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
1. Yes.
2. No (I think)

The manual states the fob (phone) must be within 3 feet of the trunk.

And it takes a kick, mine doesn't respond to a swipe.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes you need the fob or working PaaK in the immediate area.

My wife and I were out shopping yesterday and she was trying to get it to open with the kick and it didn't work. I told her I programmed the voice activation to respond to "Open Sesame!" So she tried it and it worked. (I really reached into my pocket and opened it with the key fob). :)

Got her to say it two more times during the day but she caught on eventually because I couldn't stop snickering. :)

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The range on the antenna for the lift gate is about 3 feet. Maybe a little less in some situations. So… yeah… if your fob/phone isn’t on your immediate person, it isn’t going to work.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Mine works 100% of the time with a kick. But I don't use PaaK, fob only.
Same. I have PaaK but it doesn't work hardly ever. The welcome lights come on but nothing unlocks usually. The only time the fob hasn't worked immediately was when the battery was low in the fob.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Yes you need the fob or working PaaK in the immediate area.

My wife and I were out shopping yesterday and she was trying to get it to open with the kick and it didn't work. I told her I programmed the voice activation to respond to "Open Sesame!" So she tried it and it worked. (I really reached into my pocket and opened it with the key fob). :)

Got her to say it two more times during the day but she caught on eventually because I couldn't stop snickering. :)
You're my long-lost brother. But we must remember to never ever do that again. No, no, no. That would be bad. ;)

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
I do not yet have my MME - built and shipped, Mid July delivery?
On my RAV4, you have to kick and step back just a bit; the cameras and/or fob proximity know if you are too close and the rear hatch might hit you. So you might try a step back after the kick.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
On my RAV4, you have to kick and step back just a bit; the cameras and/or fob proximity know if you are too close and the rear hatch might hit you. So you might try a step back after the kick.
Worth a try.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have to do that to get it to close with the kick. I figure it waits for me to move out of the way. Usually my hands are free by that time so I just push the button to close it since that is fairly convenient too.

The kick to open was not as reliable when I first got the car but that was because I was swiping my foot side to side. When I read the manual and it said to kick in and then out then it became much more reliable by using that method. Then I checked the service manual and it shows exactly where the sensor are for that feature. Now that I know exactly where to place my foot, it works nearly every time. I can't really remember the last time it didn't work while the fob was with me.

Edit: I use the kick to open maybe 6 or 7 times per day so I would say it is one of the several features that are new to me that didn't exist on a previous vehicle so I am getting a bit spoiled. :)

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
You know what’s funny is PAAK only works for the tailgate and kicking sometimes. I usually try 3-4 times before giving up, and look over my shoulder expecting to see the neighborhood laughing at me, the village idiot for kicking at the car.

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Same. I have PaaK but it doesn't work hardly ever. The welcome lights come on but nothing unlocks usually. The only time the fob hasn't worked immediately was when the battery was low in the fob.
...battery on the fob? Already? That's pretty quick, as most I've had lasted YEARS of daily use between needing replacements

Peugfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Linc MKX, 2021 MME Prem 4EX Infinite Blue
Country flag
I've gotten the kick to open feature to work exactly once. Key or fob, it doesn't matter. Now I'm just kicking the mach-e in the rear for no reason I guess.
I don't get it why some peoples cars don't work like others. I use only PAAK and have virtually no failures on door entry, key not detected, or kick to open rear liftgate. I've had the car 10 weeks and have not used the FOB once in 8 weeks...PAAK only. I've had to do a second kick twice and no complete failures on liftgate opening. On door entry, twice I have had about a 2 second delay. I guess I should consider myself lucky! (Premium, EX range, AWD delivered April 1).

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I don't get it why some peoples cars don't work like others. I use only PAAK and have virtually no failures on door entry, key not detected, or kick to open rear liftgate. I've had the car 10 weeks and have not used the FOB once in 8 weeks...PAAK only. I've had to do a second kick twice and no complete failures on liftgate opening. On door entry, twice I have had about a 2 second delay. I guess I should consider myself lucky! (Premium, EX range, AWD delivered April 1).
I don't use the fob either. PAAK works perfectly for me. The app opens the liftgate. The button opens the liftgate, the sync4a screen opens the liftgate. Kicking though? Not so much. The Mach-e apparently dislikes my switch from HokaOneOne Bondi running shoes to Brook's Gels and won't open with a kick. It's the only logical explanation. ;)
Sponsored