Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E CR1 Red
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hey all, my SO has never had a drivers license on account of living in urban north NJ for several years. Now that we live much further south, she's considering getting hers sometime in the next year. Only potential problem is, our only vehicle is my MME. I know that Backup cams have been legal for road tests in NJ for a few years, but I'm wondering if there is anything I should be wary of other than that, such as the 360 cam view, the electronic parking brake, etc. Of course 1PD will disabled.

Accounts elsewhere online seem pretty varied, I was wondering what you folks thought.
Sponsored

Ciero

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4x Premium Edition, Explorer Sport
Country flag
I was told, "If it comes with the car and isn't something you have to enable, it's allowed." That would eliminate things like lane keeping and parking assist, but backup cameras and blind spot detections are ok. I think you'll be fine just driving it without the obvious driver assist features used.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Hey all, my SO has never had a drivers license on account of living in urban north NJ for several years. Now that we live much further south, she's considering getting hers sometime in the next year. Only potential problem is, our only vehicle is my MME. I know that Backup cams have been legal for road tests in NJ for a few years, but I'm wondering if there is anything I should be wary of other than that, such as the 360 cam view, the electronic parking brake, etc. Of course 1PD will disabled.

Accounts elsewhere online seem pretty varied, I was wondering what you folks thought.
You probably need to have your SO practice both one pedal and two pedal driving and ask the tester if the driving test can be done in either mode. The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) failed someone near us and it made the news. Luckily, the saw the error in their ways and fixed the issue. However, I sure the bad publicity of the news story helped with that since the DMV moves as fast as a bricked MME.

BrimstoneNJ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Shadow Black SR RWD, 57 Ford Thunderbird ICE
Occupation
Retired Architect
Country flag
The NJ driver's exam is more about rules of the road than the actual vehicle. Keeping within speed limits, looking both ways, signalling for turns etc.

I don't think the actual vehicle really matters much. Obviously you don't be allowed to use the blue cruise driver enhancements like self parking and lane holding, that would be cheating. It's about how you drive, not how the car drives itself.

But otherwise I can't imagine a problem with using an MME. I'm sure they've seen much stranger vehicles.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I want to preface this by saying this is not a generalization. With that out there, I tried and tried to teach my wife to drive a manual transmission when we first started dating. Thinking it was the car, I even borrowed a friend's car and that didn't work either. Then, I rode with her father in his manual transmission Mustang and realized it was genetic.

My recommendation would be to have her practice, practice, practice in your car before she takes her test. Start in an empty shopping mall, progress to a bit more complex and graduate to the road before she takes the test. Make sure she is comfortable and ready. But, beware of genetics.

?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag

Interesting, in NY you are allowed to have - but not use - a backup camera for the road test.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Here in Washington we have this strange requirement to back around a corner. When my youngest son got his license, the only requirement was he couldn’t use the cameras for that test. No other restrictions.

OP
OP

lukew

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E CR1 Red
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I was told, "If it comes with the car and isn't something you have to enable, it's allowed." That would eliminate things like lane keeping and parking assist, but backup cameras and blind spot detections are ok. I think you'll be fine just driving it without the obvious driver assist features used.
Sounds reasonable!

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) failed someone near us and it made the news.
Exactly the story I was thinking of when I posted the thread. Learning both is a good idea, I just wouldn't want her to get too used to the (obviously superior) 1PD and then get told no by some test instructor who isn't on the level.

Here in Washington we have this strange requirement to back around a corner. When my youngest son got his license, the only requirement was he couldn’t use the cameras for that test. No other restrictions.
Interesting. Sounds like a good requirement IMO. Plenty of packed parking lots around here.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Perhaps, but it has to be done on open road and must stay within 12” of curb after having completed your turn onto the road. I was taught decades ago in another state to never back onto a road you had just departed.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Each state's requirements should be easy to find. Each should be performed without use of technology, i.e. using mirrors and turning head. If the person can't do it without using technology, they should not be driving.

There are countless posts on forums of people literally backing into posts and trees because the car didn't tell them not to. They should have their licenses yanked.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Each state's requirements should be easy to find. Each should be performed without use of technology, i.e. using mirrors and turning head. If the person can't do it without using technology, they should not be driving.

There are countless posts on forums of people literally backing into posts and trees because the car didn't tell them not to. They should have their licenses yanked.
Agreed, but I wonder how that works with newer cars that replace the standard rear view mirror with a camera and screen (The Bolt did this). Soon, side mirrors may go away too....

SERSusie

First Name
Susie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select SR RWD
Country flag
My son is due to take his driving test too in NJ in my Mach-E in January. Did anyone actually take the test and have actual answer on what is acceptable at the DMV? Thanks,

hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
My son took his test last year, and when he went to the driving school the instructor told him that if the guy from the DMV sees him using the backup camera, instead of turning around - he'll fail. It can be ON, but it can't/shouldn't be used.

The other issue you may have is the parking brake - the wording of the requirement is somewhat vague:
Section 13:21-8.14 - Vehicle used for road test: The road test cannot be administered in a vehicle in which there is a center console type construction, or other obstruction which will prevent the licensing examiner from having access to the foot brake, unless the parking brake is mounted to the right of the driver in a position accessible to the examiner.
The MME does have a parking brake to the right, but it's not the manual lever style that is what they really mean. It comes down to the examiner you get. We used a car from the driving school for his exam, he did have a friend who was sent home because he had an electronic button like the MME, but another friend had a different person and it was fine.

If she's old enough, your best bet may be to rent a car for a day.. Alot of the smaller cars from rental places have the old-style brake. If she goes to a driving school, they'll usually have a package which includes the use of a car which has the brake the way it should be.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Some of the driving schools around here will provide a car for the road test. That’s what we are doing for our son. I’m guessing we are paying for that but that’s ok.
Sponsored