ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Just want to give my thanks for your sacrifice. You saved me a headache, a heartache and few hundred dollars at the shop.

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Taking one for the Team" or "How I Killed My Charge Port Door" PXL_20211006_062318297.NIGHT

A clear look at the slide latches on the inside of the door panel. White paint streaks left by the steel garage door arm buffed out without incident.

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Taking one for the Team" or "How I Killed My Charge Port Door" PXL_20211006_062333315.NIGHT

The exposed outside of the door mechanism with corresponding clips. This supports a sliding motion rather than pressing to clip in.

In our case, the bottom left clip popped out leaving the whole door with the appearance of being bent entirely to hell (photo not included, but take my word for it- the door did not look healthy). The charge door may look and feel cheap, but the latches are a surprisingly robust design if they can withstand being caught between an unstoppable force (428 lb*ft of torque) and an immovable object (our garage door frame/arm).

To set it all back in place, I pulled outward on the painted panel with the door in the open position. It should slide out with minimal effort, just by pulling toward you. After that, it's just a matter of lining the tracks up and sliding the panel back in. Really remarkably easy.

Worth noting that I did not have a charge port dent preventer installed, but I'm doubtful it would have done much to save my front quarter panel with the forces involved in this scenario. Hopefully that dent comes out cleanly.

OP
OP
JohnnyForensic

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Just want to give my thanks for your sacrifice. You saved me a headache, a heartache and few hundred dollars at the shop.

PXL_20211006_062318297.NIGHT.jpg

A clear look at the slide latches on the inside of the door panel. White paint streaks left by the steel garage door arm buffed out without incident.

PXL_20211006_062333315.NIGHT.jpg

The exposed outside of the door mechanism with corresponding clips. This supports a sliding motion rather than pressing to clip in.

In our case, the bottom left clip popped out leaving the whole door with the appearance of being bent entirely to hell (photo not included, but take my word for it- the door did not look healthy). The charge door may look and feel cheap, but the latches are a surprisingly robust design if they can withstand being caught between an unstoppable force (428 lb*ft of torque) and an immovable object (our garage door frame/arm).

To set it all back in place, I pulled outward on the painted panel with the door in the open position. It should slide out with minimal effort, just by pulling toward you. After that, it's just a matter of lining the tracks up and sliding the panel back in. Really remarkably easy.

Worth noting that I did not have a charge port dent preventer installed, but I'm doubtful it would have done much to save my front quarter panel with the forces involved in this scenario. Hopefully that dent comes out cleanly.
SO glad you had the foresight to take pictures when I got completely flustered and didnā€™t. Fantastic addition to the thread, but I KNOW YOUR PAIN, and Iā€™m sorry this happened.

I, too, was shocked at how robust these plastic latches are. When I heard the absolute grinding, cracking sound when I did the same thing, I thought for sure it was all broken to hell, but it doesnā€™t look like anything even happened, and all of the latches are intact. I never want to find out if it will go through that a second time, though.

In the future, I really hope Ford reconsiders the charge port door as something that pops slightly out and down instead of swinging widely out.

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
When I heard the absolute grinding, cracking sound when I did the same thing, I thought for sure it was all broken to hell.
I heard the pop from inside the house and three rooms away. It was grim.

In the future, I really hope Ford reconsiders the charge port door as something that pops slightly out and down instead of swinging widely out.
This is a good point. I don't think automatic closing is the answer (just something that might break when you need it most), but the door doesn't need to be so big, stick out so far, or require such precision to open and close reliably.

vpisipati

First Name
Venkat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT - Rapid Red, '08 Shelby GT500 - Black
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I had the same thing happen back in July and the charge port door won't stay closed. I have been waiting on a replacement part for over two months. The charge port door is being held shut by velcro with a small piece sticking out to pull it open!
Cool. Glad to know I am not the only one in this situation. I have the exact same issue and fix. Mind sharing what part you are buying to fix it and where? On mine, it looks like an it needs is the black latching pin. Thanks.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I will never understand why Ford didn't keep the Fusion Energi design, making the door the appropriate size needed.

why-you-should-buy-it-trick-charge-port-door.jpg

Drea89

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e RWD EXT. range
Country flag
I will never understand why Ford didn't keep the Fusion Energi design, making the door the appropriate size needed.

why-you-should-buy-it-trick-charge-port-door.jpg
wow they had that design and thought this one is better ?!?!

i don't know overseas but in Italy most of public charging is kerb side and I always pray no one crashes into the charge door

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
wow they had that design and thought this one is better ?!?!

i don't know overseas but in Italy most of public charging is kerb side and I always pray no one crashes into the charge door
Yes. That design existed in 2017, if not earlier. This was on a 2018.

I found reference to that door for a 2013 C-Max.

It worked well. Clearly it would have had to been larger for the Mach-E. I didn't care for the lighted ring around it, which also got water in it when you washed the car (which did drain out). And it was a piece of plastic painted. But it worked well, and none of this "what if it bends backwards into the fender". Or "I ripped off the door because I backed out with the door open not noticing the warning on my dash".

jc1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
maverick 2022 eco, Porsche boxster
Country flag
That's a good point, but I think I'd want to start with the 20 and 18 year olds. They cost me more than the 13, 10, and 7 year olds do at this stage of my life.
Anyone need a set of 12 year old twin girls???? they come with a college fund:)
Sponsored