Target Charge Level Not to full capacity

JVRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache AWD
Country flag
Hello All,
I am new to this forum and I am posting for very first time hoping for some help and support with the issue I am currently experiencing.
I drive Red 2021 MachE, AWD, Premium model with Extended Battery Range.
Drove: 18K plus miles.

Issue:
My vehicle is not getting charged to full capacity of 270miles or at minimum 250miles since purchase.
Below is the picture for reference showing the details of est. distance to empty and rate its charging at 100% and 80%.
The vehicle has been taken to dealer couple of times, but I do not see any fix done. And also I am having continues amber light on my charger.

Its very concerning for me and not able to use the vehicle on daily commute to work.
Any help on this issue will be appreciated.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Target Charge Level Not to full capacity Estimated Miles at 100%
Ford Mustang Mach-E Target Charge Level Not to full capacity Estimated Miles at 80%
Ford Mustang Mach-E Target Charge Level Not to full capacity Charger Amber Light

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
What's the issue? It's not charging to 100% or are you asking why the range fluctuates and isn't exactly the EPA range?

If it's the latter, the EPA range is a controlled test and actual range isn't very controlled. Speed and temperature are major impacts on actual range

Also, the estimate is just that, an estimate.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Are you charging using a standard 120V outlet?

How many miles is your commute each way?

OP
OP

JVRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache AWD
Country flag
-I was getting 200 miles estimate when charged to 80% very consistently, and now after a recent software update I don't see the same estimated miles or even close to what was previous.

- I am using 30amp 220V outlet

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
That update both reset the driving history and provided a more accurate estimate.

You should be using a higher amperage outlet.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
-I was getting 200 miles estimate when charged to 80% very consistently, and now after a recent software update I don't see the same estimated miles or even close to what was previous.

What are you actually getting? Has that changed? If you drive from 80% down to 30%, what was the actual trip mileage

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
I noticed nothing wrong with your scenario. Range is determined by many variables. Don’t let that highly inaccurate variable estimate bother you. It’s unlikely you’ll never achieve the EPA range except under near perfect conditions.

read the last year Of posts and you’ll find many people grappling with the same issue …..it is what it is. Driving conditions in weather definitely lower your range almost immediately. The way you drive also lowers it.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
You can't use the Ford Mobile Charger on an outlet with a 30A breaker. That might be why your charger is going to an amber light, although I expect it would trip the breaker before the charger shows the fault light.

Unless your commute is 150+ miles each way (every day), I don't see how your current setup is not adequate for reliably getting you there and back with enough time to charge up by the next morning?

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag

The Ford charger pulls 32 amps and is not adjustable. At minimum it needs to be on a 40 amp circuit.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hello All,
I am new to this forum and I am posting for very first time hoping for some help and support with the issue I am currently experiencing.
I drive Red 2021 MachE, AWD, Premium model with Extended Battery Range.
Drove: 18K plus miles.

Issue:
My vehicle is not getting charged to full capacity of 270miles or at minimum 250miles since purchase.
Below is the picture for reference showing the details of est. distance to empty and rate its charging at 100% and 80%.
The vehicle has been taken to dealer couple of times, but I do not see any fix done. And also I am having continues amber light on my charger.

Its very concerning for me and not able to use the vehicle on daily commute to work.
Any help on this issue will be appreciated.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Target Charge Level Not to full capacity Charger Amber Light
Hi there! Can you send us a PM with your VIN and Ford dealership information? I’d be happy to look into this Mach-E charging concern on my end.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Hello,

Don't trust the GOM. It's completely inaccurate, and tends on the side to make sure you never run out of juice and end up stranded if you use it as a guide. Do the math, reset your trip calculator on the car during your coldest commute, review your m/kwh at the end, then divide total miles of commute by this. That is how many kWh you expend during one way. Multiply times 2. Is this more than your usable battery pack (88kw, I think?). If it is less, then you can make it on a single 100 percent charge.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hello,

Don't trust the GOM. It's completely inaccurate, and tends on the side to make sure you never run out of juice and end up stranded if you use it as a guide. Do the math, reset your trip calculator on the car during your coldest commute, review your m/kwh at the end, then divide total miles of commute by this. That is how many kWh you expend during one way. Multiply times 2. Is this more than your usable battery pack (88kw, I think?). If it is less, then you can make it on a single 100 percent charge.
THIS. It has nothing to do with your charger or a defect in the car.

The displayed range before you drive anywhere is an estimate, and a conservative one. It is computed using an algorithm that attempts to tell how/where/under what conditions you are going to drive. That algorithm is intentionally conservative in the same way that gas gauges intentionally show "Empty" when there's still a gallon of gas left.

JUST LIKE IN A GAS POWERED CAR the ACTUAL range you will achieve depends on conditions (temp/rain/snow/strong headwinds), how fast you drive, and elevation changes. The difference is that no one pays attention to the range estimate in a gas car.

This is one of the MANY deeper explanations: https://www.macheforum.com/site/posts/322557/

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
If you’re using a 32 amp charger on a 30 amp outlet, you could have a problem. For one, it’s a massive fire risk because the Ford charger only knows to pull 32 amps. If it’s a continuous load, like charging a car, it actually needs to be a 40 amp outlet. If your charger is continuously trying to pull more power than your circuitry can actually deliver, perhaps that’s causing a problem.

OP
OP

JVRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache AWD
Country flag
You can't use the Ford Mobile Charger on an outlet with a 30A breaker. That might be why your charger is going to an amber light, although I expect it would trip the breaker before the charger shows the fault light.

Unless your commute is 150+ miles each way (every day), I don't see how your current setup is not adequate for reliably getting you there and back with enough time to charge up by the next morning?
I drive 120 miles every day, and I charge everyday from 7pm (night) to 6am (next day morning).

My current rate of charging(mil/kWh) is very low, its around1.9-2.1 mil/kWh; suppose to be at minimum 2.8 or greater mil/kWh to get 248-270 miles range.

Is there any thing that can be done improve mil/kWh charging rate.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I drive 120 miles every day, and I charge everyday from 7pm (night) to 6am (next day morning).

My current rate of charging(mil/kWh) is very low, its around1.9-2.1 mil/kWh; suppose to be at minimum 2.8 or greater mil/kWh to get 248-270 miles range.

Is there any thing that can be done improve mil/kWh charging rate.
Increase your amperage. W = AV, so if you are plugged into a 30 amp 220 V circuit you could theoretically get 6600 W or 6.6 kW per hour. If you change 11 hours you'll get theoretically 72.6 kW, the full battery is 88kW.... So there is that.

Bump it to 32 amps and get 77 kW, get a higher rate EVSE and charge at 40 amps and max out within 11 hours.
Sponsored

Reactions: OWG