JWFaulk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Country flag
I see that the US is still allowing federal tax credits of 30% of the cost of installing home chargers for EVs (max of $1000). My question is whether anyone has seen if this would apply for chargers that plug into a 240 outlet. That is could you take credit for the new 14-50 outlet and/or an additional plug style charger. I would like to keep my original in the car but have one at the house. The only reason I am thinking plug style is that if anything goes wrong with it, it would be easier and less expensive to replace.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes, you can claim the credit for installing a receptacle that's used for plugging in an EVSE. It doesn't have to be hard wired.

Dangerfish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE Cyber Orange
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
Country flag
I intend to claim the credit for the cost of my Nema 14-50 outlet install ($500). I don't have a separate EVSE other than what came with the car.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I intend to claim the credit for the cost of my Nema 14-50 outlet install ($500). I don't have a separate EVSE other than what came with the car.
You might want to check with your electric company if you haven't already. A lot of them have rebates available for EVSEs, and when coupled with the 30% tax credit, they can be free or very cheap.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The credit is applicable to the purchase of any EVSE (cord & plug OR hardwired) and any associated infrastructure upgrades required to make it operational. This would include the cost of hardwiring or installing a receptacle outlet.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
You might want to check with your electric company if you haven't already. A lot of them have rebates available for EVSEs, and when coupled with the 30% tax credit, they can be free or very cheap.
Got mine for basically 20% cost of charger when combining the two.

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger and Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I see that the US is still allowing federal tax credits of 30% of the cost of installing home chargers for EVs (max of $1000). My question is whether anyone has seen if this would apply for chargers that plug into a 240 outlet. That is could you take credit for the new 14-50 outlet and/or an additional plug style charger. I would like to keep my original in the car but have one at the house. The only reason I am thinking plug style is that if anything goes wrong with it, it would be easier and less expensive to replace.
I don’t see anything on the IRS form or instructions about the manner of installation.

Depending on the charge station (eg: my ChargePoint) there may be other advantages to hard wiring.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I don’t see anything on the IRS form or instructions about the manner of installation.

Depending on the charge station (eg: my ChargePoint) there may be other advantages to hard wiring.
The manner of installation and hardware used isn't specified. So you can do what you want and get 30% back! :)

exact33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Fusion
Country flag
Second this. My utility will give up to $300 and my state up to$700. Hopefully combined with the fed $1000 I will get reimbursed for the total cost of a home charger.