RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Delivered 9/9/22, GT500
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
I built a home last year and the builder kindly electrified my garage. Looking at the double breaker for charging, it says 50 on both. I take that as 50 AMPs. I was told 40 or higher is required. But, dumb question, does the double 50 mean I have 100? Thanks.

-J
Sponsored

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
You have a 50 amp double pole breaker.

Residential US service is generally provided as a split phase service with each phase providing 120V. In order to get 240V to a receptacle or appliance both phases must be used.

In your garage you probably have some sort of receptacle. Might be a 6-50R or could be a 14-50R. That will determine if you can plug in the Ford provided EVSE or if you will need an adapter or the receptacle changed.

OP
OP

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag

Residential US service is generally provided as a split phase service with each phase providing 120V. In order to get 240V to a receptacle or appliance both phases must be used.

In your garage you probably have some sort of receptacle. Might be a 6-50R or could be a 14-50R. That will determine if you can plug in the Ford provided EVSE or if you will need an adapter or the receptacle changed.
Thanks! Great info. Will post what I have after I verify it.

OP
OP

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag

Its a 14-50.

20220418_101327.jpg

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The 14-50 is more commonly found on electric vehicle chargers than the 6-50, so you're pretty well set. If you are going to use the portable charger that comes with your MME, you can just plug it in and you should be set. Since the mains pigtail on the portable charger is removable, it is recommended to utilize the wall bracket so that the weight of the charger does not accidentally disconnect the charger from the pigtail. 😊🐩

OP
OP

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
The 14-50 is more commonly found on electric vehicle chargers than the 6-50, so you're pretty well set. If you are going to use the portable charger that comes with your MME, you can just plug it in and you should be set. Since the mains pigtail on the portable charger is removable, it is recommended to utilize the wall bracket so that the weight of the charger does not accidentally disconnect the charger from the pigtail. 😊🐩
Thanks! Good to know about the bracket.

RWG

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
See attached. I installed this myself, with a little advice from my electrician.

Important things to consider.
  • When your MMe is charging, it pulls a lot of juice, amperage. This is adjustable in the vehicle software. Mine is set at 40 amps max. All wiring must be done properly, with correct size wires. I used 6 gauge, for 50 ft run from breaker box to the charger. Rule of thumb is 80/20 rule. i.e. If you want a max charging rate of 40 amps than you need a 50 amp circuit set up and breaker.
  • I believe the charger that comes with the vehicle is a 30 amp max unit. Some folks just use the mobile charger, they just install a plug in the garage. I decided to set up with a wall mount charger AND have the ability to use the mobile charger as a back up by installing a NEMA 1450 receptacle.
  • The Ford OEM charger is fine, so far. I bought it because it integrates with the rest of the Ford system. I did not buy it because it was cheapest, it is not. The Ford charger is actually built by Webasto, a German company, not Ford and there are many other aftermarket units one can buy instead. If you buy the Ford OEM charger, pay very close attention to the "'dip switch" settings instruction. The German dip switch setting convention is "backwards" to normal thinking. I set my up mine wrong, at first, and the car was pulling 48 amps during charging and that is too much for a 50 amp breaker setup! After I figured out my error and made corrections everything now works just fine. 40 amp max charge. ( German engineers seem to think "0" is on, the rest of use think "0" means off, and if you set up the Webasto charger incorrectly, it defaults to a 48 amp charge rate. )
  • After installation, you might want to occasionally check temps of the cords, circuit breaker, connections. ( See attachment) If something is getting "hot", anything over approximately 125 degrees, you may have a bad connection and that needs to be corrected or you may have an electrical failure at some point which can be very dangerous and costly. Buy an infrared thermometer from Home Depot, less than $50, check temps at least once per month. In the average home, when charging, an EV pulling 40 amps during a charging session will mostly likely be the highest electrical load device in your home at any given time. More than the AC, electric water heater, electric stove, etc. High voltage wiring connections can degrade over time, they become loose from Thermal Cycling/Fretting Corrosion. Which means, if maybe OK today, now, but start getting hot weeks/months/years later but if you check temps, and take corrective actions, you will avoid problems. I have seen high voltage, high amp load devices run OK for years, then a connection goes bad, and the connection failure becomes a "plasma ball fire" and destroys anything and everything within close proximity. Attached you will see a photo of a 220v 50 amp plug, that worked fine for 11 years, providing 220v 3 phase power @ 30 amps. One connection went bad, probably from "thermal cycling" and you can see what happened from the effects of the ensuing +1000 degree plasma ball fire.
Good luck, be careful, you are messing with 220-240 volts and it can hurt/kill you. If in doubt/concerned hire a qualified electrician.

unnamed (5).jpeg

Attachments

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Thank you for this
See attached. I installed this myself, with a little advice from my electrician.

Important things to consider.
  • When your MMe is charging, it pulls a lot of juice, amperage. This is adjustable in the vehicle software. Mine is set at 40 amps max. All wiring must be done properly, with correct size wires. I used 6 gauge, for 50 ft run from breaker box to the charger. Rule of thumb is 80/20 rule. i.e. If you want a max charging rate of 40 amps than you need a 50 amp circuit set up and breaker.
  • I believe the charger that comes with the vehicle is a 30 amp max unit. Some folks just use the mobile charger, they just install a plug in the garage. I decided to set up with a wall mount charger AND have the ability to use the mobile charger as a back up by installing a NEMA 1450 receptacle.
  • The Ford OEM charger is fine, so far. I bought it because it integrates with the rest of the Ford system. I did not buy it because it was cheapest, it is not. The Ford charger is actually built by Webasto, a German company, not Ford and there are many other aftermarket units one can buy instead. If you buy the Ford OEM charger, pay very close attention to the "'dip switch" settings instruction. The German dip switch setting convention is "backwards" to normal thinking. I set my up mine wrong, at first, and the car was pulling 48 amps during charging and that is too much for a 50 amp breaker setup! After I figured out my error and made corrections everything now works just fine. 40 amp max charge. ( German engineers seem to think "0" is on, the rest of use think "0" means off, and if you set up the Webasto charger incorrectly, it defaults to a 48 amp charge rate. )
  • After installation, you might want to occasionally check temps of the cords, circuit breaker, connections. ( See attachment) If something is getting "hot", anything over approximately 125 degrees, you may have a bad connection and that needs to be corrected or you may have an electrical failure at some point which can be very dangerous and costly. Buy an infrared thermometer from Home Depot, less than $50, check temps at least once per month. In the average home, when charging, an EV pulling 40 amps during a charging session will mostly likely be the highest electrical load device in your home at any given time. More than the AC, electric water heater, electric stove, etc. High voltage wiring connections can degrade over time, they become loose from Thermal Cycling/Fretting Corrosion. Which means, if maybe OK today, now, but start getting hot weeks/months/years later but if you check temps, and take corrective actions, you will avoid problems. I have seen high voltage, high amp load devices run OK for years, then a connection goes bad, and the connection failure becomes a "plasma ball fire" and destroys anything and everything within close proximity. Attached you will see a photo of a 220v 50 amp plug, that worked fine for 11 years, providing 220v 3 phase power @ 30 amps. One connection went bad, probably from "thermal cycling" and you can see what happened from the effects of the ensuing +1000 degree plasma ball fire.
Good luck, be careful, you are messing with 220-240 volts and it can hurt/kill you. If in doubt/concerned hire a qualified electrician.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tell me about my home electric plug in charger unnamed (5)
Thank you for this, very helpful. Would you suggest mounting the connected charger on some sort of heat dissipating plate?

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is his socket mounted up-side down or does it matter? I know my charger would have a problem with that plug orientation.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thank you for this

Thank you for this, very helpful. Would you suggest mounting the connected charger on some sort of heat dissipating plate?
There is zero need to do that. Put in an industrial outlet, mount the charger as specified, and fully seat the plug.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
My husband wants to wire the 14-50 himself, but since we have to get a new panel anyway I asked the electrician if he could put in a 14-50 for me under same permit.
He said yes, I know it''ll cost me, but hey materials alone could be 400$ I figure while hey have all the electricity off that is the time to do it...I have no garage so has to be mounted in waterproof box

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is his socket mounted up-side down or does it matter? I know my charger would have a problem with that plug orientation.
they are supposed to install with ground plug up as a safety precaution in case something falls between the receptacle and the plug it hits the ground not the live plug.

OP
OP

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
they are supposed to install with ground plug up as a safety precaution in case something falls between the receptacle and the plug it hits the ground not the live plug.
Thanks for clarifying that. I was unsure myself.

RWG

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree with RickMachE, no need for a heat sink. The various charger waste heat will vary, but just make sure the unit is mounted as specified and I recommend connection temp checks overtime. Yes, I am cautious/anal about checking temps, but as and old refrigeration electrical systems repair guy, most problems with the electrical systems are failed electrical connections. Statistically, most failing connections with tell you if it is failing, if you just listen/observe the symptoms. . .i.e. check your connection temps.

It occurs to me, that with the thousands of EVs that will inevitably be sold, and thousands of home chargers installed, sometimes good and sometimes bad, there will be problems, sooner or later. Just do the math. 50,000 MMe chargers have over 200,000 high voltage connections that were all tightened by hand/manually. 🤔
Sponsored