Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So, I live in the AZ desert and was worried about the glass roof and heat coming through. Yes, I read all about the special IR glass etc. But its hot here like inferno hot. Today I left the gym at noon the MME external temperature said 116 (asphalt impact) actual was only 103. I took out my trusty Laser thermometer to measure the outside top of glass roof. Front to back temp varied 140 to 142. Inside the same machine read 105 from the middle of the glass and the side pillar measured 100. Now, touching the glass was a different story. It felt like a frying pan but very little heat radiation.

A measured the top of the frunk (Star White) it measured 107.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It would be interesting to measure the inside of the roof on a metal roofed Mach-E as compared to a glass roof. But, given that it was 103 degrees air temp, and the interior of the glass was 105, I can't see how anyone would say that it's not doing its job, and that tinting would be a waste of money.

OP
OP

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It would be interesting to measure the inside of the roof on a metal roofed Mach-E as compared to a glass roof. But, given that it was 103 degrees air temp, and the interior of the glass was 105, I can't see how anyone would say that it's not doing its job, and that tinting would be a waste of money.
I was considering tint on the inside but I think its a waste of $$$. It will probably help a little, very little not enough to justify the $$$. I usually start the car 10 minutes before I get done with my workout. The car is nice and cool when I get in.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I was considering tint on the inside but I think its a waste of $$$. It will probably help a little, very little not enough to justify the $$$. I usually start the car 10 minutes before I get done with my workout. The car is nice and cool when I get in.
If it can work where you live, then it can work anywhere. I've always laughed when people spend big bucks on things like tint before determining if an actual need exists.

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
A very cheap solution would be to buy some kind of material with a high coefficient of thermal reflection and attach it to the sunroof from the inside.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
A very cheap solution would be to buy some kind of material with a high coefficient of thermal reflection and attach it to the sunroof from the inside.
Get one of those Wire/Fold/flip windshield reflectors. Get the Inside screen mesh for the Pano, and unfold the reflector silver side up between the mesh and the pano.

Probably take care of a lot of issues.

/might cook the pano tho?

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
sheesh that is hot. It would great to have "dog mode" to keep the AC on when you have to leave the car in the sun for a while.

OP
OP

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
sheesh that is hot. It would great to have "dog mode" to keep the AC on when you have to leave the car in the sun for a while.
I use Ford Pass to turn on the car when I'm in the store or Gym to keep car cool. It really doesn't use that much power and when I get in its nice and cool. Ford Pass let you extend the time up to 30 minutes.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
There's hot and there's humid hot. I live in SoCal where it was 89 yesterday. It's arid. Not hot enough for A/C with only 3% humidity. The good news that in SoCal and Arizona alike where there's no humidity the temps drop like a rock when the sun goes down. With no humidity to hold the heat the temperature can drop 30-35 degrees in an hour or two. You never lie in bed sweating.

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
I live in Miami and have never thought twice about the glass roof. It's not a concern for me at all. I have the white seats though.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Get one of those Wire/Fold/flip windshield reflectors. Get the Inside screen mesh for the Pano, and unfold the reflector silver side up between the mesh and the pano.

Probably take care of a lot of issues.

/might cook the pano tho?
I think you folks missed the point. INSIDE the car the roof glass and trim around the roof were about the same as the outside ambient temperature. The coatings on the roof are designed to prevent the inside from getting hot, which astonishingly is exactly what they did. Adding a shade to the inside of the glass would make no difference.

OP
OP

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think you folks missed the point. INSIDE the car the roof glass and trim around the roof were about the same as the outside ambient temperature. The coatings on the roof are designed to prevent the inside from getting hot, which astonishingly is exactly what they did. Adding a shade to the inside of the glass would make no difference.
exactly

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
I get that, but they suggested

"high coefficient of thermal reflection and attach it to the sunroof from the inside."

Which is why I suggested using the flex windscreen shield being held by the mesh pano 'shield' they have out there. To reflect the sun even further by not letting it get all the way in.

I was showing someone my pano roof in the sun the other day, and mentioned you could hold your hand within an inch and feel some heat, but touch the pano and it's damn hot.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
the sunroof has special thermal treatment and blocks heat way better than the glasses on the sides. I bought a sunscreen for the top but even without it I feel it's okay... and I'm in Texas.
Tesla sunroof also blocks heat well, but I feel not as good as MME does, I do feel the heat more under the sun if I don't use a screen, comparing to MME.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
For the past year, I've been using Heatshield custom shade. It has worked pretty well and attaches with 6 suction cups.
Sponsored