Chuck518

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
How does the MMe get its external temperature readings? I keep my car in a heated garage and the reading for the external temperature is for the outdoors temperature. Does it go to NASA, or some equivalent service, for the location of the car? Would it fail if I were in a place where a GPS reading is unavailable?

Plus, when it calculates my battery reserve for a trip, I know that it takes altitude differences into account. Does it also compute data about the temperature of my destination?

I must say, this is all very sophisticated -- I've been driving literally for seventy years and have owned cars continuously since 1961. I have had only high-end cars since the 1990's. I'm *very* impressed with this new technology.
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I believe the Mach-e is the same as all cars, using a device called a thermistor to measure temperature, by measuring the changes in electrical current when heat is added or removed (from Google). Apparently these are usually in the grill close to the ground.

I'm not sure if it computes the fluctuating temperature on a trip to calculate the battery reserve, it might just use your starting temp and then adjusts as you drive and the temperature changes.

OP
OP

Chuck518

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
But that's not possible. It does not give the temperature of the car in the garage. It gives the outdoors temperature. Not the outdoor temperature when it was parked. The outdoor temperature as it changes.

OP
OP

Chuck518

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
I believe the Mach-e is the same as all cars, using a device called a thermistor to measure temperature, by measuring the changes in electrical current when heat is added or removed (from Google). Apparently these are usually in the grill close to the ground.

I'm not sure if it computes the fluctuating temperature on a trip to calculate the battery reserve, it might just use your starting temp and then adjusts as you drive and the temperature changes.

But that's not possible. It does not give the temperature of the car in the garage. It gives the outdoors temperature. Not the outdoor temperature when it was parked. The outdoor temperature as it changes.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Yeah, that's crazy, maybe it does use GPS and then a weather service to provide temp. I've always thought it was accurate for me, it shows hotter in my garage then what the outside temp is, which is usually way colder.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Do you back into your garage? ?‍♂?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey Chuck, I am not sure how or why your car is showing outdoor temp instead of the temp where your car is parked but I can assure you it is not supposed to be doing this. It does not use GPS for sure.

As Neil said above, the car has a Ambient Air Temperature Sensor (AAT) which is a thermistor. It only has two wires going to it and it changes voltage depending on the ambient air temp. Those two wires are going directly to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) where it monitors the ambient temp to display on Sync. It also sends this data to the HVAC system, Active Grill Shutters, Heated exterior mirrors, high voltage battery charging system, parking aid sensors (adjusts distance depending on temperature) and several other systems. The sensor is located just above the drivers side air shutters in the bumper cover. If you look just above those shutters you will see a little rod sticking out about 1/4". That is the ambient air temperature sensor.

Maybe your sensor is defective but if that were the case, many other systems in the car would not be working correctly. There is a way to reset the sensor but not sure that will help you. Go to the Heater/AC control panel, select the A/C and Recirc simultaneously for 5 seconds, then release both, within 2 seconds select A/C button again. It will not beep or anything when you do this but that is the procedure.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Every Ford I’ve owned recently has a terrible lag in updating the temperature display. For example, I was driving and the display showed 38 degrees which was correct. I parked in my garage. The next morning, my garage temp was 54. Started the car and it still read 38. Headed down the road and within a few minutes, the correct outdoor temp was displayed.
My 17 F150 is even worse. It might take 10 minutes or more before the correct temp is shown.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Every Ford I’ve owned recently has a terrible lag in updating the temperature display. For example, I was driving and the display showed 38 degrees which was correct. I parked in my garage. The next morning, my garage temp was 54. Started the car and it still read 38. Headed down the road and within a few minutes, the correct outdoor temp was displayed.
My 17 F150 is even worse. It might take 10 minutes or more before the correct temp is shown.
This has also been my experience, though it was more apparent in the summer. I would start the car up, the temperature would be clearly way off, and I would begin driving, and within a few minutes it would show the correct temperature.

If I was able to glance at the temperature while driving, I would actually see it make it do jumps of a few degrees at a time over a period of 30 seconds to a minute or so as it reached the correct temperature.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
No, I nose in. Why? What are your thoughts?
Can't say for sure what the pudel thinks, but it is probably colder near the garage door.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
This has also been my experience, though it was more apparent in the summer. I would start the car up, the temperature would be clearly way off, and I would begin driving, and within a few minutes it would show the correct temperature.

If I was able to glance at the temperature while driving, I would actually see it make it do jumps of a few degrees at a time over a period of 30 seconds to a minute or so as it reached the correct temperature.
Summer is much worse and (I think) a different issue. When parked in the sun with the actual temp in the 90s, I saw displays as high as 113. Once the car was in motion, it would drop rapidly, a couple degrees at a time.
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK