Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
So, I decided to take my first, filthy, nasty Mustang Mach E to the car wash at lunch. When I got out of the car, I explained to the attendant that you have to follow the prompt on the screen and press the L button to keep the car in neutral. (To his credit, he did ask if I wanted to ride through the tunnel. I declined because they (usually) know what they’re doing. I then go inside and watch my car go through the tunnel. I noticed the back wheels weren’t “rotating”, but rather staying still, as if the brake was on and they were being dragged, then, they would suddenly jerkily turn maybe a quarter revolution. I thought to myself “that’s not right!”, and ran over and told the owner (who knows my car well) what was going on. He ran to the tunnel, stopped it, went to my car, and properly put it in reverse. They’re still cleaning the interior now, and my fingers are crossed. 🥹
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I would never trust my $60,000 car to a car jockey, whether it's a car wash attendant or a parking lot valet attendant.

What you described is not good.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Does that car wash not have the safety system in place that stops the machine from moving if the wheels don't move? wow. Some of the newer car washes actually have a belt and the wheels don't have to move at all on it, just a big conveyer belt. Those are nice.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Does that car wash not have the safety system in place that stops the machine from moving if the wheels don't move? wow. Some of the newer car washes actually have a belt and the wheels don't have to move at all on it, just a big conveyer belt. Those are nice.
First time I took a vehicle that had a dial shifter in the car wash it left the auto hold brake on and the little thing that pushes the wheel just went under the wheel. Car didn't move at all.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
First time I took a vehicle that had a dial shifter in the car wash it left the auto hold brake on and the little thing that pushes the wheel just went under the wheel. Car didn't move at all.
I find it crazy that it can push a 5000 lb vehicle even if the wheels aren't moving, makes me think something is up with that car wash, seems sketchy

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Update:
Car seems no worse for the west 😅

I thought this car wash had the safety systems others have described. My front wheels were rotating normally, it was only my rear wheels that were misbehaving. My suspicion is that the safety system only detects the front wheel since that is the wheel that is being pulled. I thought it was weird that the front wheels seemed to be rotating fine. I have an AWD ER MY 21 Premium

Deleted member 16048

Yeah I wish they had those here in MN. We haven't had a new car wash decide to go with the belt option yet. I go to Mister Car Wash and thankful I drive it myself through. When I got my tires rotated the other day, the tech definitely activated the alarm system a few times and was a little confused on how to drive it so I drove it to the bay for them. lol

Lloydian

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Bookkeeper
Country flag
I know what the L button does. I don't trust it (or their drivers). When I go to my car wash, I turn off Auto Hold from the menu.

Ex 2011GTCS

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So, I decided to take my first, filthy, nasty Mustang Mach E to the car wash at lunch. When I got out of the car, I explained to the attendant that you have to follow the prompt on the screen and press the L button to keep the car in neutral. (To his credit, he did ask if I wanted to ride through the tunnel. I declined because they (usually) know what they’re doing. I then go inside and watch my car go through the tunnel. I noticed the back wheels weren’t “rotating”, but rather staying still, as if the brake was on and they were being dragged, then, they would suddenly jerkily turn maybe a quarter revolution. I thought to myself “that’s not right!”, and ran over and told the owner (who knows my car well) what was going on. He ran to the tunnel, stopped it, went to my car, and properly put it in reverse. They’re still cleaning the interior now, and my fingers are crossed. 🥹
Simple procedure:
Disengage One Pedal Drive and Auto Hold if you have them enabled. Fold in your mirrors. Buckle your drivers seat belt and tell attendant to leave it buckled. This will allow the car to remain in neutral when attendant exits the car in the wash lane leaving car in neutral. If you have auto lock enabled you can either disable it or leave the key in the car.
Sponsored