Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
They’re basically saying that anybody can come use their chargers, as long as you build your own Tesla plug - we’re not gonna spend any money to make our chargers compatible with your cars, because, hey, ours is the “North American Charging Standard, … ahem.”

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing. This is some kind of end-run attempt by Tesla to make Superchargers eligible for those funds without making them CCS compatible in any way.
Aha! So Elon just needs to buy another EV startup and put the Tesla connector on them, then BOOM, NEVI funds here we come! It will be a compliance car BRAND. Heck maybe he could get Mazda to put it on the MX-30 since that car only exists for government satiety.

EDIT: Looks like this is already playing out with Aptera.

Last edited:

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing. This is some kind of end-run attempt by Tesla to make Superchargers eligible for those funds without making them CCS compatible in any way.
So does it mean they only need Aptera to say they are using this connector, then they may be considered open to public use and not proprietary?

If there is a Aptera announcement in the near future, then I would say it was all planned that way.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
So does it mean they only need Aptera to say they are using this connector, then they may be considered open to public use and not proprietary?

If there is a Aptera announcement in the near future, then I would say it was all planned that way.
They should have written the spec on the grant money to specifically mention CCS-compatibility as a requirement.
I believe the EU regulations that forced Tesla to put CCS ports on those cars said all cars sold in the EU must be able to charge at a CCS charger.

Apteras won't even need to charge from a DCFC station because they built solar panels into the body. If you have one, you just drive as far as the sunshine can get you each day. If your office is further than next door to where you live, you'll have to wait three days before going back to work.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Apteras won't even need to charge from a DCFC station because they built solar panels into the body. If you have one, you just drive as far as the sunshine can get you each day. If your office is further than next door to where you live, you'll have to wait three days before going back to work.
👍🏼😂😂😂😂😂😂

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I'm so disappointed in Aptera. I was really excited about their car, but no more.

And here I thought Elon's master plan all along was to have all the Tesla engineers that he's put at Twitter make a little blue birdie EV... 🐦🐦🐦😉

qnfva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e CA Rt1
Country flag
This is a much discussed/debated topic among Aptera order holders. At the end of the day, it does make sense for Aptera to use Tesla plug because CCS can not physically fit into the tail of the vehicle where the charging port is located.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One fear I have from this is EA and others using this as an opportunity to make the 2nd cable on their chargers a Tesla plug to get business from Tesla owners, which could then overrun our CCS chargers with Tesla drivers.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
One fear I have from this is EA and others using this as an opportunity to make the 2nd cable on their chargers a Tesla plug to get business from Tesla owners, which could then overrun our CCS chargers with Tesla drivers.
What might be possible is Tesla gets government funding but only serves Tesla and a few Apteras.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What might be possible is Tesla gets government funding but only serves Tesla and a few Apteras.
True but that would just be what Tesla does. Now that the plug is open for anyone to use, I fear that EA may offer charging to Tesla drivers independent of Tesla. That can already be done now with a pricey adapter, but when the handles are offered without needing to buy an adapter, it could draw 10x the customers.

There's 3 separate sides to all this:

1. The impact on Tesla
2. The impact on other EV manufacturers
3. The impact on other charging networks

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here’s an interesting, very nerdy discussion Kyle Conner had with Branden Flasch about the announcement.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
True but that would just be what Tesla does. Now that the plug is open for anyone to use, I fear that EA may offer charging to Tesla drivers independent of Tesla. That can already be done now with a pricey adapter, but when the handles are offered without needing to buy an adapter, it could draw 10x the customers.

There's 3 separate sides to all this:

1. The impact on Tesla
2. The impact on other EV manufacturers
3. The impact on other charging networks
I noticed the cable length spec for DC is only 2 meters. That would certainly cause placement issues.

Also, does it support V2x
Sponsored

Last edited: