Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Those cables look impossibly short. If they are the same length as Tesla cables weā€™re screwed. Wonā€™t reach unless we park sideways and take 2-3 spots.
Yeah whatā€™s the plan for this?

cdiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The plan is probably there is no plan. Having a CCS plug means it's compatible which means they can get some of that incentive money. It being uselessly short... sucks to be, well, everyone that isn't Tesla.

They'll probably have a single stall set up for vehicles with bike racks that can't back in - many superchargers are already set up that way - which'll work for us if you're willing to leave your butt in the aisle.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The plan is probably there is no plan. Having a CCS plug means it's compatible which means they can get some of that incentive money. It being uselessly short... sucks to be, well, everyone that isn't Tesla.

They'll probably have a single stall set up for vehicles with bike racks that can't back in - many superchargers are already set up that way - which'll work for us if you're willing to leave your butt in the aisle.
Yep. And that's only if Tesla drivers that are angry that CCS cars can now use "their" chargers aren't vindictively grabbing the few Magic Dock chargers first.

It's kinda like the CHAdeMO situation at EA stations, except multiplied 100x. CCS drivers really have no disdain for CHAdeMO drivers and are typically courteous to them. And there's not that many Leafs that road trip so it's mostly a non-issue.

But while there's a lot of great Tesla drivers too, there's also a lot of stans that actively dis anything not Tesla. I could definitely see a subset of them purposely tying up the few Magic Docks first because they don't want anything other than Teslas using "their" Superchargers.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
Since the Tesla charger design is better, smaller, more convenient, etc, and is already in place on more chargers and in use on more cars, apart from brand loyalty/Tesla hate/Musk hate/CCS hate/CCS love in other words, just based on a reasonable and logical decision, it seems as though adoption of the NACS as the official standard would make a lot of sense. It almost seems as though reluctance is based on either irrational opinions or intentional anti-Tesla sentiment from other manufacturers/government.

From a "convenience" standpoint, I can tell you that fighting with the big, clunky CCS cable is a bit of a PITA on our Niro. I imagine its a bigger PITA for smaller, weaker people or those with handicaps.

I also think it would be a good idea to standardize charging port location.

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
Is it not possible to carry an extension cable with you for chargers with short cables?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Since the Tesla charger design is better, smaller, more convenient, etc, and is already in place on more chargers and in use on more cars, apart from brand loyalty/Tesla hate/Musk hate/CCS hate/CCS love in other words, just based on a reasonable and logical decision, it seems as though adoption of the NACS as the official standard would make a lot of sense. It almost seems as though reluctance is based on either irrational opinions or intentional anti-Tesla sentiment from other manufacturers/government.

From a "convenience" standpoint, I can tell you that fighting with the big, clunky CCS cable is a bit of a PITA on our Niro. I imagine its a bigger PITA for smaller, weaker people or those with handicaps.

The shape of the plug is the least of our problems. Switching from CCS to Tesla's design won't magically fix dark chargers, broken screens, or mysteriously de-rated kilowatt speeds. And that's just the charging hardware. Nevermind the backend payment systems and failures to accurately bill credit cards either on the machine itself or via some sort of application.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
I disagree thoroughly. A global standard - CCS - is just fine. If Tesla had made this move in 2012 at the infancy of the industry, it would have been a different story.

Now, screw them and their Lightning cable. We're on USB-C baby!

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Is it not possible to carry an extension cable with you for chargers with short cables?
This is a good question. What would an adapter look like for North America? Would it simply be the reverse version of Tesla's current CCS adapter? Would it be something like a 3' to 5' cable rated at 350A with male/female plugs on either end?

If Tesla has truly opened their Superchargers and the related patents, then can we expect third parties to put out adapter products that are compatible with Tesla's stations?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

It's not likely to happen though. CCS already is the standard and has been for years. Every auto manufacturer but one (Tesla) uses it. And Tesla has already switched to CCS in Europe.

Yes, it's smaller and lighter and easier to maneuver for drivers (sort of like Betamax was more compact than VHS). But the standard was already decided years ago. Tesla missed their opportunity to offer it as the open standard. Way too late now.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I doubt it for high power DCFC. That usually requires liquid-cooled cabling because it can generate so much heat.

If there was a DCFC extension cable, I'm guessing it would need to be limited to like 50kw or something. And be big and heavy to lug around.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
The shape of the plug is the least of our problems. Switching from CCS to Tesla's design won't magically fix dark chargers, broken screens, or mysteriously de-rated kilowatt speeds. And that's just the charging hardware. Nevermind the backend payment systems and failures to accurately bill credit cards either on the machine itself or via some sort of application.
I've experienced that. With our Kia Niro, we make sure there are at least two major fast charging stations where we need to stop. Three is even better. Plenty of times when, even if a station was working, getting a charger to work was pretty sketchy and often had to switch stalls, etc. We made the same 400 mile weekly commute for about 4 months. One of the charging stops was glitched...I think we got free charging for at least 3 months.

Overall though, I have to say that we have fared quite well using the CCS network despite some issues and glitches. But this was also a relatively short trip, same exact route every time, that typically only required one charging stop. So I haven't sampled dozens or hundreds of locations.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I doubt it for high power DCFC. That usually requires liquid-cooled cabling because it can generate so much heat.

If there was a DCFC extension cable, I'm guessing it would need to be limited to like 50kw or something. And be big and heavy to lug around.
I gotta imagine thereā€™s 300-400A cables available.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I gotta imagine thereā€™s 300-400A cables available.
Not saying itā€™s impossible, but would be very hard to get a UL listing for. Those cables are locked to your cars CCS port because the locking creates a solid connection. There would be a lot of burned up cables if people had extension cords. Hell, people already start a lot of fires using cheap 120V extension cords in ways they arenā€™t rated.