Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Does the Tesla CCS in Europe work with the Ioniq 5 yet? I know when it launched it wasn’t able to charge on those cars
Sponsored

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
I disagree thoroughly. A global standard - CCS - is just fine. If Tesla had made this move in 2012 at the infancy of the industry, it would have been a different story.

Now, screw them and their Lightning cable. We're on USB-C baby!
Except, there is no global standard. CCS as we know it is only used in North America.

The majority of EV's in the US use NACS. The majority of DC fast chargers in the US use NACS. NACS is a better design. Ignoring brand loyalty, NACS seems like it would be the smarter choice for a charging standard in the US.

A single worldwide charging standard has a nearly 0% probability since Europe's CCS is completely different from the US.

So I think it makes sense to focus on the smartest choice for a NA standard.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
Except, there is no global standard. CCS as we know it is only used in North America.

The majority of EV's in the US use NACS. The majority of DC fast chargers in the US use NACS. NACS is a better design. Ignoring brand loyalty, NACS seems like it would be the smarter choice for a charging standard in the US.

A single worldwide charging standard has a nearly 0% probability since Europe's CCS is completely different from the US.

So I think it makes sense to focus on the smartest choice for a NA standard.
No, not the smartest choice... there's a reason Tesla is opening up its Supercharger network.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
No, not the smartest choice... there's a reason Tesla is opening up its Supercharger network.
I gave several reasons why NACS may be the smartest choice for an NA standard:

1) Most EV's in NA currently use NACS
2) Most DC fast chargers in NA currently use NACS
3) NACS is a better design

What are the reasons you believe NACS is *not* smarter/better, and that an inferior, less user friendly design should be the standard?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

What are the reasons you believe NACS is *not* smarter/better, and that an inferior, less user friendly design should be the standard?
Honestly doesn’t matter, this horse has already left the barn good or bad

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Because it's easier for one manufacturer to adopt the standard already adopted by a number of manufacturers. As was mentioned upthread, Betamax vs. VHS.

Take the hint from Supreme Leader Musk and his actions, comrade. CCS has already won.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
Honestly doesn’t matter, this horse has already left the barn good or bad
If that's truly the case, what a shame. I guess in the grand scheme of things, fighting with a big heavy, clunky, awkward charging cable on road trips isn't the biggest, most important issue. Just doesn't make any sense as we are in the *very* early stages of EV's and charging infrastructure. It's a good opportunity to make charging easier for everyone in the upcoming decades as infrastructure is built out.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If that's truly the case, what a shame. I guess in the grand scheme of things, fighting with a big heavy, clunky, awkward charging cable on road trips isn't the biggest, most important issue. Just doesn't make any sense as we are in the *very* early stages of EV's and charging infrastructure. It's a good opportunity to make charging easier for everyone in the upcoming decades as infrastructure is built out.
You'll get over it.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
You'll get over it.
Of course haha, as I already said(in case you missed it), it's not that big of a deal. Just not the smartest course of action. Most of my roadtrips for the foreseeable future will be using a NACS plug so ya, won't affect me much.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Of course haha, as I already said(in case you missed it), it's not that big of a deal. Just not the smartest course of action. Most of my roadtrips for the foreseeable future will be using a NACS plug so ya, won't affect me much.
I do think there are plans to keep updating CCS standard. I can also see there being ways invented to improve it to make it easier like induction charging through the connector which would make it easier to connect

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
I do think there are plans to keep updating CCS standard. I can also see there being ways invented to improve it to make it easier like induction charging through the connector which would make it easier to connect
We will probably look back ten years from now and be like "remember when we used to have to physically plug our cars in with a giant cable to charge". Hehe, who knows. Won't be surprising to see drastic changes in battery and charging technology now that the entire world is focusing on it. My guess/hope is that in five years, 500 miles of range in optimal conditions and 300 for cold highway driving will be standard. Who knows with charging. I think we aren't *that* far off for charging speeds. In many cases, by the time you take a restroom break and grab drinks, charging is done.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

It’s not a format war to see which one gets adopted as a standard. That’s already happened. CCS1 and CCS2 have already been declared a standard by the IEC. Just like J1772 has been by SAE. Tesla adding the word “standard” to the new name of their connector doesn’t make it a standard. The fact that it’s better doesn’t make it a standard either. If they had opened the hardware specs earlier, perhaps things would have gone differently, but here we are.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

And 10 years ago, that would have made a good case. Unfortunately Tesla didn't offer it with no strings attached when it mattered, preventing it from becoming the standard. So the industry came up with and ran with their own standard.

Tesla had their chance, but they blew it by waiting way too long to offer it. The industry moved on.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
And 10 years ago, that would have made a good case. Unfortunately Tesla didn't offer it with no strings attached when it mattered, preventing it from becoming the standard. So the industry came up with and ran with their own standard.

Tesla had their chance, but they blew it by waiting way too long to offer it. The industry moved on.
Seems like they shot themselves in the foot. AFAIK, the number one goal has been widespread EV adoption. Not sharing the specs of your charging cable when the standard was being put in place doesn't seem like a good idea, if that is indeed what happened. 🤷‍♂️

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag