Tesla "Autopilot 2.0" Promo Video Edited Out Collision, Had Map Charted Ahead Of Time, New Expose Reveals

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
  • Banned
The NY Times wrote:

As Tesla approached the introduction of Autopilot 2.0, most of the Autopilot team dropped their normal duties to work on a video meant to show just how autonomous the system could be. But the final video did not provide a full picture of how the car operated during the filming.

The route taken by the car had been charted ahead of time by software that created a three-dimensional digital map, a feature unavailable to drivers using the commercial version of Autopilot, according to two former members of the Autopilot team. At one point during the filming of the video, the car hit a roadside barrier on Tesla property while using Autopilot and had to be repaired, three people who worked on the video said.

The video was later used to promote Autopilot’s capabilities, and it is still on Tesla’s website.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/t...llision-had-map-charted-ahead-time-new-expose
Sponsored

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
The NY Times wrote:

As Tesla approached the introduction of Autopilot 2.0, most of the Autopilot team dropped their normal duties to work on a video meant to show just how autonomous the system could be. But the final video did not provide a full picture of how the car operated during the filming.

The route taken by the car had been charted ahead of time by software that created a three-dimensional digital map, a feature unavailable to drivers using the commercial version of Autopilot, according to two former members of the Autopilot team. At one point during the filming of the video, the car hit a roadside barrier on Tesla property while using Autopilot and had to be repaired, three people who worked on the video said.

The video was later used to promote Autopilot’s capabilities, and it is still on Tesla’s website.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/t...llision-had-map-charted-ahead-time-new-expose
Was gonna post this. Those shitbirds 3-D scanned the pre planned route ahead of time even though Tesla doesn’t 3D scan any roadways for FSD or Autopilot. They rely on Tesla drivers to go out and drive and collect data that they then utilize.

Unlike Ford, GM et al., who spend the time and $ to have teams go out and do 3D scans of the roads they deem fit for their Level 2 systems.

Must be nice to have customers willing to subsidize FSD to the tune of $3-10k per order AND also have them work FOR you by collecting image data of roadways while they’re driving. What a racket.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Unfortunately we don't get the evidence showing the crash. Honestly, I thought it looked scary as hell. The drivers hands looked like they were millimeters away from the steering wheel. Regardless it probably doesn't matter, people that are all in in the idea of FSD have already purchased it. Those same people (at least the fanboys) will defend it and their purchase until their dying breath. I think it is irrelevant if the technology actually works or not, the idea of it does, so that is good enough.

On a side note, I have to tip my hat to Tesla. For them to bamboozle people for so many years with empty promises is VERY impressive. The only other company that can (and does) pull that off on the regular is Apple. If people are that loose with their money I say take it from them (figuratively), they won't miss it ? .

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Reminds me a little of this old Bose suspension video where the car jumps over a parking stop.

It was pre-programmed.

What’s interesting is they could probably make this suspension do this without pre programming it these days.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Unfortunately we don't get the evidence showing the crash. Honestly, I thought it looked scary as hell. The drivers hands looked like they were millimeters away from the steering wheel. Regardless it probably doesn't matter, people that are all in in the idea of FSD have already purchased it. Those same people (at least the fanboys) will defend it and their purchase until their dying breath. I think it is irrelevant if the technology actually works or not, the idea of it does, so that is good enough.

On a side note, I have to tip my hat to Tesla. For them to bamboozle people for so many years with empty promises is VERY impressive. The only other company that can (and does) pull that off on the regular is Apple. If people are that loose with their money I say take it from them (figuratively), they won't miss it ? .
I know, their bamboozle skills are 1,000,000!! Back in 2015ish when I was looking at a Model S, of course I wanted to fully option it and get FSD. I think it was $5k or something at the time? Do those older models even get it when it does come out? I can't imagine the hardware from 6 years ago is still good enough for FSD? But maybe that is why Elon is going so hard with cameras over radar, so he can still do it on older cars and not get another lawsuit when it releases and they can't get it? I don't know, just all kinds of shady.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The NY Times wrote:

It just seems this won't ever be possible without better kept roads, signs, street lights, etc. What if there is only a stop on the ground and not a stop sign? What about when it wants to turn but its a yield light not a solid turn light? How does it handle yellow lights if there is a car tailing you? Will it try and take the safer route to make the light or hit the brakes, possibly causing the driver to hit you, even though the driver is at fault behind you, it is still an accident. Unless its super intelligent to where it can feather the brakes to signal you're gonna stop and then try and brake safely. I don't know, so many variables, it really seems like Fords and others are doing it safer by only doing highway handsfree, where stop signs, stop lights, crazy braking, etc. are just not even factors.

Reactions: ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It just seems this won't ever be possible without better kept roads, signs, street lights, etc. What if there is only a stop on the ground and not a stop sign? What about when it wants to turn but its a yield light not a solid turn light? How does it handle yellow lights if there is a car tailing you? Will it try and take the safer route to make the light or hit the brakes, possibly causing the driver to hit you, even though the driver is at fault behind you, it is still an accident. Unless its super intelligent to where it can feather the brakes to signal you're gonna stop and then try and brake safely. I don't know, so many variables, it really seems like Fords and others are doing it safer by only doing highway handsfree, where stop signs, stop lights, crazy braking, etc. are just not even factors.
I don’t think we can reach true self driving until cars are able to think like people are, deal with unexpected and novel situations.

No amount of excellent sign recognition, pre-route planning, etc., will be enough. The car will have to figure things out on the fly, not somehow match the scenario it is facing to something it has seen before because it will be impossible to have a car learn every conceivable scenario a car will encounter over its ‘life’.

Until and unless we reach that kind of breakthrough in artificial intelligence, true self driving where a person can confidently go to sleep or the car can drive itself anywhere on any city street without a driver present will not be in the cards. My two cents.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t think we can reach true self driving until cars are able to think like people are, deal with unexpected and novel situations.

No amount of excellent sign recognition, pre-route planning, etc., will be enough. The car will have to figure things out on the fly, not somehow match the scenario it is facing to something it has seen before because it will be impossible to have a car learn every conceivable scenario a car will encounter over its ‘life’.

Until and unless we reach that kind of breakthrough in artificial intelligence, true self driving where a person can confidently go to sleep or the car can drive itself anywhere on any city street without a driver present will not be in the cards. My two cents.
Agreed. I think the most realistic scenario, is all cars just having a form of communication with each other to be able to properly execute self-driving. With more and more cars getting a form of autonomous driving, it seems that in the next 10 or 15 years most cars on the road will have it, it just seems like a severe oversight that they aren't "banding together" to put in a module to allow them to communicate with cars in their immediate vicinity. So if its a yellow light, it can tell the car tailing it "hey, I'm gonna brake hard." rather than having all the cars react to the braking itself, which will obviously be slightly more delayed then it "knowing" ahead of time.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

It’s the trolly car simulation.

Sponsored