Tesla Closing Autopilot Office, Cutting 200 Jobs

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Elon said that the future of Tesla is banking on Full Self Driving, calling it their only path to success. Which makes this an odd direction to go in.
If that’s the case then Elon needs to think strategic partnership, or, merger. Because if FSD is Tesla’s only path to success then they are f@cked.

All of that vertical integration and gigafactories and crazy share valuations aren’t going to be enough to escape the gravitational beam that is Elon’s ego.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
This has gotta be the shittiest employer, they used the excuse that they were low performers to do the layoff so they didn’t have to file as reduction in force and give 60 days notice. What an awful company.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
Will those who paid for FSD now get their money back?
They are not stopping FSD development. According to reports, this office is mostly manual data labelling people, among 1700 or so hired last year. It's more likely Tesla rely on more auto-lanelling now rather than manual work.

OP
OP
StillWaitingForMachE

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ah yeah... thanks. I edited my post for accuracy. 😂
Has?

May I remind you of the time he called a diver rescuing trapped children from a cave a pedophile because the diver said Elon's mini sub idea wouldn't help. Lol.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Has?

May I remind you of the time he called a diver rescuing trapped children from a cave a pedophile because the diver said Elon's mini sub idea wouldn't help. Lol.
We need to give him a credit, he hasn't called the journalist who wrote this article a "pedoguy" (yet).

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Elon said that the future of Tesla is banking on Full Self Driving, calling it their only path to success. Which makes this an odd direction to go in.
And what if no one wants to buy it? I think he's assuming almost everyone will want to fork over the cash for it, but I think his fatal flaw may be overestimating the demand for it. There's a decent chunk of fanboys that will pay for it, but only a small part of the overall population will want to fork out $12,000 for something that is cool but not especially more useful than driving yourself. It's just a really poor value IMO compared to plain autopilot on freeways which really the only thing most people want.

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Sometimes the company closes a whole division down so they can hire all new people and go in a new direction or move to a new state.