Tesla driver dies in fatal shooting at Supercharger station after ‘argument over charger’

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2023/05/03/tesla-driver-dies-fatal-shooting-supercharger-station-argument/
Tesla driver dies in fatal shooting at Supercharger station after ‘argument over charger’
1698b64e3d1fca5c1ceead88373dd?s=30&d=identicon&r=g.jpg
Fred Lambert| May 3 2023 - 1:13 pm PT

Tesla-Supercharger-shooting.jpg

A Tesla driver died in a fatal shooting at a Supercharger station in Denver, Colorado, over a dispute regarding charging their electric vehicles, according to the police.

The incident happened this morning at a Tesla Supercharger station outside of the Edgewater Public Market.
Local news outlet Denver7 reported that the police confirmed a man died following a shooting at the charging station:
Edgewater police say the shooting started as a fight between two Tesla drivers at the charging station in the 5500 block of W 20th Avenue, in the market’s parking lot.
According to the police, the shooting started following “an argument over one of the chargers.”

All details are not available yet, but a man, believed to be one of the two Tesla drivers involved, was transported to the hospital and pronounced dead. The man who pulled the trigger reportedly left the scene before calling emergency services.

Electrek’s Take
Images from the scene show that the Supercharger station appeared to be full, with all stalls in use. Therefore, it’s possible that the fight started over who was going to be next to charge, but it’s still unclear.

This is one of the major issues Tesla needs to address, with a digital queue at near-full stations. It won't pair if someone is ahead of you in queue.

I was threatened after politely asking if someone could move to another open stall since I was towing (and they were in the only tow stall). Had to wait an hour for them to move.

Obviously, this probably says more about gun violence in the US than about Supercharger station etiquette, but it still could be a factor here.

I won’t comment further without more details, but for those unfamiliar with the situation where a charging station is full, which is fairly rare, drivers generally line up to get the next available charger.
The issue might have stemmed from this, but again, we don’t have all the details yet.

Some have previously discussed the possibility of Tesla introducing an automated queuing system when a Supercharger is full, but again, without more details, it wouldn’t be fair to say that it could have helped in this situation yet.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Background buildings and cars do not look that attractive. I would prefer to charge at EA in Walmart and Sam's parking lots. One Tesla is still charging in the picture.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
It's not where I live, but relatively close. There is a large food court with a number of restaurants there. The parking lot was already undersized for the traffic, and taking a dozen or so spots for a supercharger site was not helpful. The neighborhood in the area ios gentrifying, so there is money coming in buying up older homes.

The reports I heard last night say both drivers were armed. The one who was shot was also maced prior to the shooting. One of the Tesla's was owned, one rented. The shooter drove off, but called 911 once he got home.

It's never worth losing a life over a charging spot. I hope that this gets Tesla, EA and the others to start thinking about good lighting, security cameras and some sort of sense of safety. I'm not saying that Tesla is responsible in any way for this shooting - the people involved are.

Johnny572

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT performance
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2023/05/03/tesla-driver-dies-fatal-shooting-supercharger-station-argument/
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla driver dies in fatal shooting at Supercharger station after ‘argument over charger’ Tesla-Supercharger-shootin
Fred Lambert| May 3 2023 - 1:13 pm PT

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla driver dies in fatal shooting at Supercharger station after ‘argument over charger’ Tesla-Supercharger-shootin

A Tesla driver died in a fatal shooting at a Supercharger station in Denver, Colorado, over a dispute regarding charging their electric vehicles, according to the police.

The incident happened this morning at a Tesla Supercharger station outside of the Edgewater Public Market.
Local news outlet Denver7 reported that the police confirmed a man died following a shooting at the charging station:

According to the police, the shooting started following “an argument over one of the chargers.”

All details are not available yet, but a man, believed to be one of the two Tesla drivers involved, was transported to the hospital and pronounced dead. The man who pulled the trigger reportedly left the scene before calling emergency services.

Electrek’s Take
Images from the scene show that the Supercharger station appeared to be full, with all stalls in use. Therefore, it’s possible that the fight started over who was going to be next to charge, but it’s still unclear.

This is one of the major issues Tesla needs to address, with a digital queue at near-full stations. It won't pair if someone is ahead of you in queue.

I was threatened after politely asking if someone could move to another open stall since I was towing (and they were in the only tow stall). Had to wait an hour for them to move.

Obviously, this probably says more about gun violence in the US than about Supercharger station etiquette, but it still could be a factor here.

I won’t comment further without more details, but for those unfamiliar with the situation where a charging station is full, which is fairly rare, drivers generally line up to get the next available charger.
The issue might have stemmed from this, but again, we don’t have all the details yet.

Some have previously discussed the possibility of Tesla introducing an automated queuing system when a Supercharger is full, but again, without more details, it wouldn’t be fair to say that it could have helped in this situation yet.
This would never happen at a EA station……the station would be out of order.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Sooo the headline was an assumption... not shocking.
They were pretty upfront about the lack of information in the article. Headlines are designed to grab your attention, always have been and always will be. After that, it’s expected that people will critically read the article.
Sponsored

Last edited: