Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Do you regret buying the Mach-E or do you like it in other ways to your Y?
for me the one thing the Mach-e has is this constant man/machine back and forth that makes me connect with the ford in an emotional way as a car enthusiast. The steering is constantly relaying information to me and I know where the cornering limits are and how the tires are interacting with the road surface. The other day I took a hard turn (I made sure there was no one around and plenty of run-off room if things went wrong) and the tail stepped out in this beautiful drift. I held the drift with the wheel and throttle and had this huge grin on my face. This is the kind of stuff that real car guys were born to do. Incredible!

So this is a car nerds dream designed and engineered by car geeks who know how to setup a chassis, steering and suspension. I had no idea Ford knew how to do this stuff. The most amazing thing that it’s based on a modified C2 chassis the Ford Escape is built on and it feels like a tail happy rwd performance car.

now as an electric car to live with...wow, what a clusterfuck. My app only seems to work 50% of the time and it’s hard and awkward to use. My FordPass is impossible to setup and no one at ford knows how to help me (and I am in the IT field so I’m a highly technical person). The 3rd party charging network totally sucks. I can’t precool or preheat the car by simply pressing a button...but all of these issues are there with any non-tesla EV.
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The thing about it is your comparing tesla with 10 plus years into the EV market as ford has not even put out the first OTA yet. SImple comparing the model y now to the model y when it first launched is not close to the same. Plenty of issues with the info system there in the tesla forums.
AKA the heat pump has been a big blunder to fix.

So the things that are not so great in the info system can be fixed also as tesla did. Now The fit and finish problems and paint have gotten better some but still many problems.

The one big thing and still is true is the Fast charging network for tesla. That is the big lead, but it's closing each day.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The thing about it is your comparing tesla with 10 plus years into the EV market as ford has not even put out the first OTA yet. SImple comparing the model y now to the model y when it first launched is not close to the same. Plenty of issues with the info system there in the tesla forums.
AKA the heat pump has been a big blunder to fix.

So the things that are not so great in the info system can be fixed also as tesla did. Now The fit and finish problems and paint have gotten better some but still many problems.

The one big thing and still is true is the Fast charging network for tesla. That is the big lead, but it's closing each day.
This is how I look at it. They got the product 100% perfect as a drivers car. I would say they hit it out of the park. The parts of the car that Ford messed up can be fixed later. I’d rather have a perfectly executed car and software that can be straightened out later Than the other way around

The more I’m driving the two cars back to back the more I’m realizing how different they are. The model Y is a point-and-shoot kind of car. Just aim of the steering wheel in the right direction and floor it. It just goes where it’s pointed and doesn’t really give you any kind of feedback.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It takes about 20 years for perception to catch up to reality. People still think nissan makes reliable cars

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Back when they started. Nissan made some great cars. About 2008 and on Nissan has gone way downhill.
When I rent cars on vacation they are almost always nissans and they have all been some of the worst cars I have ever driven. It’s not just the rubber band effect of the CVTs that put me off. It’s the cost cutting everywhere you look and the awful steering and handling. My wife and I would argue over who had to drive next. They are really that bad. I’d say the Versa and Sentra are candidates for being the worst modern cars. I haven’t driven a Mitsubishi Mirage so I can’t comment on how bad that one is

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
for me the one thing the Mach-e has is this constant man/machine back and forth that makes me connect with the ford in an emotional way as a car enthusiast. The steering is constantly relaying information to me and I know where the cornering limits are and how the tires are interacting with the road surface. The other day I took a hard turn (I made sure there was no one around and plenty of run-off room if things went wrong) and the tail stepped out in this beautiful drift. I held the drift with the wheel and throttle and had this huge grin on my face. This is the kind of stuff that real car guys were born to do. Incredible!

So this is a car nerds dream designed and engineered by car geeks who know how to setup a chassis, steering and suspension. I had no idea Ford knew how to do this stuff. The most amazing thing that it’s based on a modified C2 chassis the Ford Escape is built on and it feels like a tail happy rwd performance car.

now as an electric car to live with...wow, what a clusterfuck. My app only seems to work 50% of the time and it’s hard and awkward to use. My FordPass is impossible to setup and no one at ford knows how to help me (and I am in the IT field so I’m a highly technical person). The 3rd party charging network totally sucks. I can’t precool or preheat the car by simply pressing a button...but all of these issues are there with any non-tesla EV.
You can't preheat? I mean what do you think the start button does? Also you set up the fordpass charging network on ford.com. It's not very complicated. Are you sure you are very technical?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
My Sentra Spec v is 17yrs old, did brakes, suspension, coil packs, alternator. Still going. Even the clutch is original

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
You can't preheat? I mean what do you think the start button does? Also you set up the fordpass charging network on ford.com. It's not very complicated. Are you sure you are very technical?
Buy a Mach-e, but only for the technical minded. Maybe that's why the petrol heads have issue with this mustang. Just can't find the door handle.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
When I rent cars on vacation they are almost always nissans and they have all been some of the worst cars I have ever driven. It’s not just the rubber band effect of the CVTs that put me off. It’s the cost cutting everywhere you look and the awful steering and handling. My wife and I would argue over who had to drive next. They are really that bad. I’d say the Versa and Sentra are candidates for being the worst modern cars. I haven’t driven a Mitsubishi Mirage so I can’t comment on how bad that one is
What annoys is is how blatantly obvious the cost-cutting is - like the crappy, molded plastic switchgear (knobs) where they don’t even make the effort to polish the plastic to get rid of the burrs or mold seams.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
yes they are. Well the set up of ford pass network was, need to test at an EA. I have a premium extended RWD

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ford finally resolved the issue stopping me from setting up Fordpass after three weeks of phone tag and escalations. The preheating and precooling should be a setting to turn on the climate and program in the desired temperature from the app. My fathers taycan didn’t have the feature and they just added it a week ago in an update so maybe Ford’s is coming.
Sponsored