Tesla Fell 5 Spots On Consumer Reports' Brand Report, But Others Dropped More

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
https://insideevs.com/news/489001/tesla-falls-consumer-reports-brand-report/

Lincoln, Genesis, and Kia dropped respectively 15, 13, and 10 positions.

Few countries have such a strong organization to protect consumer rights such as Consumer Reports. This is why its rankings are so relevant when it comes to buying decisions. At their latest car brand report, some carmakers had a lot to celebrate, such as Mazda, the best of the pack after climbing three positions. Tesla lost five and ended up in the 16th.
According to CR, of all four models the company currently sells, only the Model 3 retains the recommended rating. All the Tesla lineup is classified as green, something that adds points to the overall result. CR also takes into consideration its road-test scores, safety, and owner satisfaction. Curiously, Tesla went well in all these requirements.

Apparently, a single factor made the company fall in the ranking: predictable reliability. We have already written how spearheading technology negatively affected all EVs tested by Consumer Reports on November 20, 2020.

The fact that Tesla lost so many places indicates the company urgently needs to improve, but it could be way worse. Lincoln fell 15 positions and is now in the 28th. Two Korean brands also have yellow lights blinking right in front of them: Genesis lost 13 positions, and Kia lost 10. They are respectively in the 15th and 19th places. Of those, only Kia sells electric vehicles.

We know correlation does not mean causation, but it is interesting to realize most companies selling electric cars also fell in the CR brand report. Porsche, Hyundai, Audi – five places as well – and Mini also dropped. The only exceptions were BMW and Nissan.
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2
OP
OP

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
From a comment in the article I found this:

Here are the ratings for brands that provide EV's today:

2. BMW (+6)
4. Porsche (-3)
10. Hyundai (-3)
11. Audi (-5)
13. Nissan (+4)
16. Tesla (-5)
17. Mini (-7)
19. Kia (-10)
20. Volvo (+2)
24. Chevy (+1)
25. Ford (-2)
27. Jaguar (+1)

Also from another article I found:

1. Mazda (+3)
2. BMW (+6)
3. Subaru
4. Porsche (-3)
5. Honda

At the other end of the the rankings is Italian automaker Alpha Romeo, at the very bottom after dropping five spots from last year to 32. Land Rover sits just above it at 31, with Mitsubishi at 30.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
According to them, only EV makers fell implying a conspiracy. Then again, according to them Ford doesn't sell EVs.

Among the companies with bad results that do not sell EVs, we have Lexus, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz, Ford,

Reactions: UW2

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
these studies, while interesting, always have to be taken with some filtering, because it's owner-reported, and they come down to "tell us everything that you had trouble with on your car".

If you have a Red Ryder wagon, you would never have more than maybe "The handle broke off" and "a wheel came off". As cars get more stuff (technical term), there's more that could go wrong.

And some drivers are pickier than others, looking for issues or finding things others don't, and counting things as reliable or not in different ways. For example, I find MyFord Touch to be pretty great in my Fusion, but the world at large insists I should swap it out for an 8-Track with only AM radio because it's so bad.

So... even if one said "the Mach-E is the greatest car mankind has ever built and is the height of Earth technology not involving space" I'd be happy (and probably say something on here about it :)) but I wouldn't "take that to the bank" as the saying goes.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
these studies, while interesting, always have to be taken with some filtering, because it's owner-reported, and they come down to "tell us everything that you had trouble with on your car".

If you have a Red Ryder wagon, you would never have more than maybe "The handle broke off" and "a wheel came off". As cars get more stuff (technical term), there's more that could go wrong.

And some drivers are pickier than others, looking for issues or finding things others don't, and counting things as reliable or not in different ways. For example, I find MyFord Touch to be pretty great in my Fusion, but the world at large insists I should swap it out for an 8-Track with only AM radio because it's so bad.

So... even if one said "the Mach-E is the greatest car mankind has ever built and is the height of Earth technology not involving space" I'd be happy (and probably say something on here about it :)) but I wouldn't "take that to the bank" as the saying goes.
+1

Just look at the number of posts ON THIS VERY FORUM which say (or point to reviewers who say) Sync 4 is responsive vs. those that say it is laggy. Too subjective to make any definitive conclusion.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The reason Kia fell 10 points is because of these stupid CVTs they are using. There is no manufacturer who could make a reliable continuously variable transmission work. The germans tried and gave up years ago. Nissan gave up on the new pathfinder, jeep gave up on them in 2013 I think. It's a complete disaster and I'm surprised they would have a go at it after seeing how bad it's been for brands like nissan.

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
The reason Kia fell 10 points is because of these stupid CVTs they are using. There is no manufacturer who could make a reliable continuously variable transmission work. The germans tried and gave up years ago. Nissan gave up on the new pathfinder, jeep gave up on them in 2013 I think. It's a complete disaster and I'm surprised they would have a go at it after seeing how bad it's been for brands like nissan.
We had an Altima with a CVT a few years ago and I really liked it. Didn‘t have any problems with it.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In the JD power survey Subaru is below the industry average. They aren't doing well either

Keithl

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
The honeymoon in the Tesla cult is fading. I get the novelty and gadget desires, but how many yeats now with all the build quality issues? Look at The Fast Lan Car YouTube video about their model 3, back door broke 3 times. Seems like every Tesla has some issue with something, the 2 people I know that own a model S and model 3 both had annoying issues with their new car.

Tesla was like that cool new toy people wanted to have as a Status thing, like the newest iPhone and then get disappointed when it it does not work as expect u til the first few IOS releases. Fan boys really skew this numbers and now the Fan Boys are movingon.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The honeymoon in the Tesla cult is fading. I get the novelty and gadget desires, but how many yeats now with all the build quality issues? Look at The Fast Lan Car YouTube video about their model 3, back door broke 3 times. Seems like every Tesla has some issue with something, the 2 people I know that own a model S and model 3 both had annoying issues with their new car.

Tesla was like that cool new toy people wanted to have as a Status thing, like the newest iPhone and then get disappointed when it it does not work as expect u til the first few IOS releases. Fan boys really skew this numbers and now the Fan Boys are movingon.
I own a tesla Y and a mach-e and the real advantage tesla has is the overall experience of EV ownership. It's like using a Mac vs using windows. The mac just works and the windows machine is always blue screening or crashing on you. I know I can get into my Y and drive cross country tomorrow with no issues. The nav system in the tesla tells you where to stop and for how long. They even tell you how many of the chargers are occupied. I know the tesla app will work flawlessly every time and it's all laid out so logically and clearly. I still can't figure out how to sign up for the FordPass charging network and no one at Ford, no matter how many hours I spend on the phone with them, seems to know either. Yesterday my app conked out completely and I couldn't monitor the charging status because the app didn't update itself for 6 hours. Now this morning the app seems to be working again.

It seems to me that when you buy a tesla you are buying into the whole ecosystem. The brilliant app, the flawlessly laid out and easy to use charging network, brilliant infotainment with netflix and all kinds of games to entertain you if you choose to sit in your car and charge. It's like every problem has been thought out ahead of time to make the experience as easy as possible.

If you just look at the car in isolation, yes, the teslas all have some uneven gaps in the panels and weird quality issues that often need to be resolved. That said, I drove my model S, imperfect panel gaps and all, 150,000 miles before I traded it in for the Y, so the basic mechanicals underneath are sound.

OP
OP

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
Do you regret buying the Mach-E or do you like it in other ways to your Y?
Sponsored