First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/03/cars/tesla-full-self-driving-fsd/index.html

In a nutshell it's highly unreliable and erratic. I know there are a lot of people on this forum that are complaining about the BlueCruise delays but this goes on to show that it's been hard to get all elements of this technology to work together seamlessly. Tesla has had a big jump on this and they are still struggling. I would much rather Ford put out a better and refined finished product than take a punt on safety to deliver this half baked. Obviously it's not an apples to apples comparison (FSD on Teslas costs $10k and is an add on as opposed to standard for MME Premium and GT versions).
Sponsored

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
it’d be pretty hard to convince me that “FSD/Blue Cruise” makes you a more aware driver and more aware drivers are what we need and software will make you an unaware driver. Of course we’ve distracted drivers killing people and clueless drivers killing people, and unaware drivers will end being par for course. Just an average driver killing someone randomly.

OP
OP
rohankumar

rohankumar

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
it’d be pretty hard to convince me that “FSD/Blue Cruise” makes you a more aware driver and more aware drivers are what we need and software will make you an unaware driver. Of course we’ve distracted drivers killing people and clueless drivers killing people, and unaware drivers will end being par for course. Just an average driver killing someone randomly.
I think the technology is being sold as a convenience factor as opposed to a tool to increase road safety. Dangers on the road are very well understood and often compounded by operator error. However as you can imagine self driving technology like this might make the roads safer in the long run from distracted drivers and prevent against typical 'operator errors'.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
It is a huge issue to make sure people are paying attention while they are driving -- especially while using any of these driver assistance features. Tesla only recently activated their cabin camera and it actually wasn't designed to do driver monitoring. It was originally installed to monitor all of the occupants of the car for the pipedream robotaxi that Elon keeps promising. Ford's system does eye tracking to at least make sure you are looking in the direction of the road.

In any case, it is going to be a problem as the drivers assistance tech gets better and better. It won't be good enough to handle everything. But as it gets really good, the human supervisors will get more and more lax about monitoring what it is doing.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/03/cars/tesla-full-self-driving-fsd/index.html

In a nutshell it's highly unreliable and erratic. I know there are a lot of people on this forum that are complaining about the BlueCruise delays but this goes on to show that it's been hard to get all elements of this technology to work together seamlessly. Tesla has had a big jump on this and they are still struggling. I would much rather Ford put out a better and refined finished product than take a punt on safety to deliver this half baked. Obviously it's not an apples to apples comparison (FSD on Teslas costs $10k and is an add on as opposed to standard for MME Premium and GT versions).
It has been interesting to watch the rollout of FSD Beta. The first people that got it were all Tesla super fans and raved about how good it is. Now, journalist and others are getting access to it and the reviews are far less glowing.

I saw a link to this long thread on Reddit in the Model 3 owners section. Almost every comment from someone with FSD Beta had a lot of negatives. I think they need to pause the rollout while they work on the bugs. Instead, they are allowing more and more people to get the Beta each week. One report indicates there are currently 11,000 people with the Beta.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
"full self driving" and Bluecruise are very different things. Bluecruise is adaptive cruise control and auto lane centering on highways only - it does not attempt to make driving decisions other than applying the brakes and staying inside the lane markers where traffic is all flowing in the same direction. The incorrectly named "full self driving" attempts to read stop lights, stop signs, lane markers, and handle driving in cross traffic - a far more dangerous and ambitious project.

Anyway, Bluecruise is delayed to cars that shipped from the factory without it because of the over-the-air update issues. Cars rolling out of the factory since August have Bluecruise installed.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
I think the technology is being sold as a convenience factor as opposed to a tool to increase road safety. Dangers on the road are very well understood and often compounded by operator error. However as you can imagine self driving technology like this might make the roads safer in the long run from distracted drivers and prevent against typical 'operator errors'.
I evaluate all driving aids against the reality of what I see. 4 elk this morning. Two were just off the shoulder munching away. A lone one 6 miles farther who I only saw because of the light reflected from its eye. Pitch dark then it ran across the highway with a second. That’d take extremely sophisticated recognition/motion tech. But I agree that saving many will still sacrifice the few and drivers will essentially become passengers.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I think the bigger news here is that this might be the first article from CNN that's not fake in a very long time!

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Humans almost always overrate their skill and do a poor job of evaluating risk. It’s why if 1 out of 425 people died immediately after walking through a door no one would do it but idiots will happily go maskless and unvaccinated.

I’m pretty convinced that with decent automation, that everyone had, my commute would be a lot smoother and safer. In fact, the current safety equipment in my car has probably saved me from an accident.

At the same time, I’ve caught things that automation may not have.
Sponsored