Tesla Home Service is Phenomenal

Xweb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium eAWD
Country flag
Not really a "vs" post but thought I would share.

I have an MME and my wife just got a Model Y. The Y does not come with Homelink so we had to buy it. It comes delivered in box with warnings to keep it sealed and make a service appoint.

Here is where the Tesla service was excellent:
  • Booked service via the Tesla App. We did not even have the option to bring it in for service, they only offer mobile service. Tesla service center is only ~5 miles away.
  • 2 days later a Tesla tech came to our home to install Homelink
  • They had to take out the frunk and install the Homelink device that was mailed. Took about 20 mins because we were talking to the tech the entire time. Probably 10 minute job.
  • They configured it to work with our garage/gate.
  • Left after 30 mins.
Of course I wish the car came with Homelink pre-installed and I am more than capable to get it working with our garage door, however, this was a great experience. Plus the Tesla Homelink is pretty cool... You can set it to open the garage on approach and close it when you leave. Not just 3 buttons on the visor.

It was a great experience and worked on our schedule. The tech even came in a Model X presumably so we can see what an "upgrade" looks like. Great marketing. I wonder if Ford would ever come to my home for a small fix and drive a new Lightning so I can check it out?
Sponsored

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
I've had the mobile ranger out a few times for various repairs. I love the service! It's so much more convenient than taking my car to a service center.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Ford has mobile service, but they just pick up your car and take it to the dealer. Not sure if I want the guy who can barely park the car at the service entrance driving my car 10 miles.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
I hoped they can come to me for my driver's door adjustment, but only service center visit available to me. it's 30 minutes away only on weekdays :( this is around Boston and they do have multiple service centers I can bring in, although most don't have slot within 2 weeks.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
In nice hubs like LA, Tesla service is great. In more rural areas or spots without a lot of techs/centers to work out of, Tesla is a crap shoot. As @Ming being the perfect example, it can be weeks. Although Ford and other dealers are the same nowadays. Even in Orange County, my friend couldn't get a tech to come out for over 3 weeks to realign his hood.

I definitely wish more dealers did mobile service, but even high end brands - Rolls Royce, Lambo, etc. just offer pick up and drop off service. Although they do it with a tow truck to try and ensure no damage. Where mid-range brands, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc. will Uber someone out to drive your car back.

Would be nice if Ford's pick up/drop off service got more broad, they send notices about it, Ford corp that is, but no dealers in Orange County offer it, which is nuts!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Mobile service will make financial sense when we have more BEVs. A lot of what they do are just software updates.

Even better would be for Ford to configure sending out VIN specific updates OTA. Would save a ton of time and $$.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Well, from what my Tesla owning neighbors have said, Tesla has terrible service. In the Austin metro area Teslas are everywhere but Tesla has neither the service bay capacity, nor the mobile techs to cover the needs. Iā€™m talking 4-6 weeks for a drop-off service appt. or 1-2 weeks for mobile visit. Now, this is second hand info. but itā€™s coming from people I trust.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Our neighbor had Tesla mobile device out to replace their 12V battery. In the process they broke the windshield. Which took weeks for them to repair.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
It doesnā€™t make any difference the kind of service they provide. Once you realize youā€™re driving the ugliest vehicle ever made.

model y owners. Donā€™t react donā€™t argue if you like your little jellybean thingā€¦. I donā€™t. Every time I see one I giggle at someone paying 70 grand or more for that thing.
Jes sayin. Thing looks like a stretched Gremlin.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag

I have an MME and my wife just got a Model Y. The Y does not come with Homelink so we had to buy it. It comes delivered in box with warnings to keep it sealed and make a service appoint.

• Booked service via the Tesla App. We did not even have the option to bring it in for service, they only offer mobile service. Tesla service center is only ~5 miles away.
  • They had to take out the frunk and install the Homelink device that was mailed. Took about 20 mins because we were talking to the tech the entire time. Probably 10 minute job.
  • Left after 30 mins.
Of course I wish the car came with Homelink pre-installed and I am more than capable to get it working with our garage door, however, this was a great experience. Plus the Tesla Homelink is pretty cool... You can set it to open the garage on approach and close it when you leave. Not just 3 buttons on the visor.

It was a great experience and worked on our schedule. The tech even came in a Model X presumably so we can see what an "upgrade" looks like. Great marketing. I wonder if Ford would ever come to my home for a small fix and drive a new Lightning so I can check it out?
The counter point is that there's horror stories from the Heat Pump debacle where people were being told the earliest appointment to get their car fixed was several months away.

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
PSA- Ford's mobile service is only for participating dealers. In the Phoenix area three dealers do participate except they only will go 10 miles. Up to 25 miles they charge 45 dollars each way. This is the great service Ford advertised on the Ford Pass APP.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
It doesnā€™t make any difference the kind of service they provide. Once you realize youā€™re driving the ugliest vehicle ever made.

model y owners. Donā€™t react donā€™t argue if you like your little jellybean thingā€¦. I donā€™t. Every time I see one I giggle at someone paying 70 grand or more for that thing.
Jes sayin. Thing looks like a stretched Gremlin.
Glass houses...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

• Left after 30 mins.

Just to point out - on many cars (my 2013 F-150, my 2018 Fusion Energi, and lots of other ones) there is a spot in the visor for the Homelink module. You can feel it through the fabric. There are lots of online directions to add it - you buy a $20 module online (they pull them from junk cars), and if you have a lit visor mirror in a short period you add it (remove visor, pull back fabric, open compartment, put in module, connect wires, put fabric back). I did this mod and you couldn't tell it wasn't factory. I suspect adding Homelink to the Tesla was a $300 or higher option.

OP
OP
Xweb

Xweb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium eAWD
Country flag
I suspect adding Homelink to the Tesla was a $300 or higher option.
It was exactly $300, mobile install included in that price. To me, the integration with the screen and the system as a whole is superior to the 3 button visor solution we have on the Mach E's.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Everything depends where you live. In Orlando, Eatonville sucks. The location is so busy delivering 20-30 cars a day that the parking lot has zero spaces free and try scheduling an appointment... you often have to wait 2-3 weeks for an opening.
Sponsored