Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Quick question: I have a hypothetical trip to a resort that has several Tesla Level 2 destination chargers (NOT DCFC). The hotel website shows these as "free" chargers, and they are Tesla branded with the Tesla plug in configuration.

IF I have a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter, can I just plug in my MME and charge, or do the Level 2 chargers require some kind of Tesla 'handshake' to initiate charging?

Since the chargers are Level 2 only and are listed as "free", I'm assuming that any EV can plug in with the right adapters.

Obviously, I'm hoping that this resort will install non-Tesla chargers as well, but as of this moment they only have the Tesla Level 2 chargers.
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Quick question: I have a hypothetical trip to a resort that has several Tesla Level 2 destination chargers (NOT DCFC). The hotel website shows these as "free" chargers, and they are Tesla branded with the Tesla plug in configuration.

IF I have a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter, can I just plug in my MME and charge, or do the Level 2 chargers require some kind of Tesla 'handshake' to initiate charging?

Since the chargers are Level 2 only and are listed as "free", I'm assuming that any EV can plug in with the right adapters.

Obviously, I'm hoping that this resort will install non-Tesla chargers as well, but as of this moment they only have the Tesla Level 2 chargers.
search the site for "teslatap" to see the discussions about this out there already but the very short version is if they aren't "generation 3" destination chargers, you're set. if they are very new "generation 3" then they might be set to only support a Tesla but you won't know until you get there realistically. (plugshare check-ins might be able to tell you but you shouldn't count on that.)

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
search the site for "teslatap" to see the discussions about this out there already but the very short version is if they aren't "generation 3" destination chargers, you're set. if they are very new "generation 3" then they might be set to only support a Tesla but you won't know until you get there realistically. (plugshare check-ins might be able to tell you but you shouldn't count on that.)
I'll add that if the destination chargers have been there for a while (Plugshare would be good place to find out) they are most likely not Gen 3. I believe Gen 2 has a grey front where-as Gen 3 is white on the front of the EVSE.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the advice. Plugshare and Tesla websites didn't show whether they are Gen 2 or Gen 3, but I know they've been there at least 3 years, so I'm hoping they're Gen 2. Their charging rate is listed as 'up to 16 kW', so I don't know if that tells you anything.

I also sent a message to the resort (where I'll be a guest a couple of times this summer) to tell them that I'll be coming up with a Mustang Mach-E and I expect to be accommodated. In other words, your guests are driving BEVs other than Teslas, so it's time to adapt! :)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Doesn't matter if it's Gen 1, 2, or 3 HPWC. You'll be able to charge with the appropriate adapter. The destination chargers are just a fancy name they have it but they're the exact same thing used by Tesla owners at home.

Note, Gen 2 have longer cords (24' I believe). Gen 3 are either 8' or 18'.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Doesn't matter if it's Gen 1, 2, or 3 HPWC. You'll be able to charge with the appropriate adapter. The destination chargers are just a fancy name they have it but they're the exact same thing used by Tesla owners at home.

Note, Gen 2 have longer cords (24' I believe). Gen 3 are either 8' or 18'.
Gen 3 destination chargers are supposed to be "smart chargers" that the owners can configure to bill the user through Tesla's system. That presupposes the car being plugged in has a tesla account, does it not? Since there's no card reader or any other way for the car to be identified it must be using the same account info that is communicated with superchargers, which won't apply to a non-Tesla.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Gen 3 destination chargers are supposed to be "smart chargers"
That's correct. The Gen 3 chargers have an option to disallow non-Tesla vehicles. Whether or not that option is enabled is up to the owner of the charging station. As long as it's not enabled by default, I don't think many station owners will go out of their way to enable it. However, if it's enabled by default, I don't think many will go out of their way to disable it either.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Gen 3 destination chargers are supposed to be "smart chargers" that the owners can configure to bill the user through Tesla's system. That presupposes the car being plugged in has a tesla account, does it not? Since there's no card reader or any other way for the car to be identified it must be using the same account info that is communicated with superchargers, which won't apply to a non-Tesla.
This feature is not yet active.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
IMHO if a business decides they want to monetize hosting EV charging due to the increasing number of electric vehicles in the future, they may buy a ChargePoint or other brand that uses J1772 connections that opens up the broadest range of customers. Otherwise most will just install the Tesla Destination Charger and use it as a "perk" for their customers like they do now.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Moving forward, that's probably the smart choice. Many of the Tesla destination chargers were installed within the last 2-4 years and previously there weren't a lot of EV options. Also, some of the owners at these locations own a Tesla, so there are some self-motivating factors at play.

One note about the Tesla Gen 3 HPWC. The wifi commission process is quite clunky and cumbersome. It's unlikely most of the facilities went through the process to get the chargers set up to the wifi, which means they're still on the original 0.8.40 firmware. There was a recent update over the summer in 2020 to 0.8.58 but it didn't implement the multi-charger level loading capability and the charge-at-destination feature Tesla marketed. If the features roll out in the future, it's unlikely the current destination chargers will update and if they are on wifi, most likely it'll be set to off by default.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
IMHO if a business decides they want to monetize hosting EV charging due to the increasing number of electric vehicles in the future, they may buy a ChargePoint or other brand that uses J1772 connections that opens up the broadest range of customers. Otherwise most will just install the Tesla Destination Charger and use it as a "perk" for their customers like they do now.
Tesla has a program that provides free destination chargers to businesses that apply for one. The business still has to pay for installation and electricity, but the free charger is why you see a lot of them out there. A lot of business owners don't really know the difference, so they'll go with the free one if given the option.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
All of that is true. However, if you count on using a tesla destination charger at a particular location you need to be aware of the complication and research it.

Just trying to give a heads up that things may change. Please ignore everything I say at your leisure.
Sponsored