Tesla-like software

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
which other manufacturers are focused on Tesla-like software, like auto-pilot, FSD equivalent, sentry mode, all that Tesla has?

it feels like Tesla is the only one out there. i know Mach E has Blue Cruise but that's not available ROW and hence feels like a major fail.
Sponsored

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
Pretty much every car manufacturer is focusing on software now. Many have better L2 than FSD, which is totally a joke and Tesla should have recalled it as well as be fined for false advertisement.

RyanSD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME AWD EXT, 2013 Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
IT Systems Architect
Country flag
which other manufacturers are focused on Tesla-like software, like auto-pilot, FSD equivalent, sentry mode, all that Tesla has?

it feels like Tesla is the only one out there. i know Mach E has Blue Cruise but that's not available ROW and hence feels like a major fail.
Comma.ai

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Pretty much every car manufacturer is focusing on software now. Many have better L2 than FSD, which is totally a joke and Tesla should have recalled it as well as be fined for false advertisement.
Name one.

I wouldn't pay extra for FSD at the current asking price. But despite its faults, its still pretty impressive with what it can do with cameras only. Are there any other manufactures out there that can navigate on city streets or make unprotected left turns?

Even their free autopilot is reliable on the freeway. I don't notice any difference between it and the MachE blue cruise, except that it can take curves and interchange better (faster).

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Name one.

I wouldn't pay extra for FSD at the current asking price. But despite its faults, its still pretty impressive with what it can do with cameras only. Are there any other manufactures out there that can navigate on city streets or make unprotected left turns?

Even their free autopilot is reliable on the freeway. I don't notice any difference between it and the MachE blue cruise, except that it can take curves and interchange better (faster).
You don't notice that you can take your hands off the wheel with blue cruise but not with the Tesla system?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
You don't notice that you can take your hands off the wheel with blue cruise but not with the Tesla system?
Also BlueCruise doesn't yell at you when you correct it. It's one of the reasons Consumer Reports rated BlueCruise higher than AutoPilot

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Its a tracking issue to ensure that the driver is paying attention. It can easily be hacked by using a weight/magnet.. So as a driver, pay attention, that's on you whether the system is torque sensing or eye tracking. It has nothing to do with the capability of the system itself. Also word is that tesla will soon implement the camera in the car now to do the monitoring.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Also BlueCruise doesn't yell at you when you correct it. It's one of the reasons Consumer Reports rated BlueCruise higher than AutoPilot

the systems disengage when you correct it, but Ford doesn't. I'll give you that, but its so easy to re-engage the autopilot that I don't see it as a big deal or hassle. Plus it doesn't yell at you, there's a disengage chime. Honestly in my commute, I have to very rarely correct it, the only time really is when the lane splits into two, but that happens on the Ford also. So I see that as a wash.

I prefer the tesla system in the sense that the center tablet shows what the car see in real time so that it inspire more confidence. Whereas the Ford system does not. But as far as operating on the Highway, they're pretty equivalent.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Its a tracking issue to ensure that the driver is paying attention. It can easily be hacked by using a weight/magnet.. So as a driver, pay attention, that's on you whether the system is torque sensing or eye tracking. It has nothing to do with the capability of the system itself. Also word is that tesla will soon implement the camera in the car now to do the monitoring.
Yes but that "hack" of the Tesla system is illegal as far as I can tell and certainly unsafe. Not something that I would do. You could do the same with Ford's system on non-mapped roads, but I wouldn't do that either.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
the systems disengage when you correct it, but Ford doesn't. I'll give you that, but its so easy to re-engage the autopilot that I don't see it as a big deal or hassle. Plus it doesn't yell at you, there's a disengage chime. Honestly in my commute, I have to very rarely correct it, the only time really is when the lane splits into two, but that happens on the Ford also. So I see that as a wash.

I prefer the tesla system in the sense that the center tablet shows what the car see in real time so that it inspire more confidence. Whereas the Ford system does not. But as far as operating on the Highway, they're pretty equivalent.
Tesla's autopilot also doesn't let you lane change without disengaging. And I find I very often need to make adjustments when I drive either a Tesla or my MME. (I don't own a Tesla, but I've driven one for weeks so I have a reasonable amount of experience using it.)

As for the center tablet's display of what it sees, it is interesting and kinda fun and actually kinda reduces my confidence in the system given all the things it misses.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Yes but that "hack" of the Tesla system is illegal as far as I can tell and certainly unsafe. Not something that I would do. You could do the same with Ford's system on non-mapped roads, but I wouldn't do that either.
illegal. yes, unsafe? How. If you're paying attention, and that's a you thing. When autopilot first came out, there was no eye or steering wheel torque monitoring. It was required by regulators because they don't trust the driver to do the right thing.

Let's be honest, how many of you have done illegal things in a car on a daily basis? Go over the speed limit? Drive without a front license plate even though your state requires one? Not come to a complete stop at a stop sign? turing right even though there were pedestrian still in the crosswalk, but nowhere near your car? etc. you get my drift. Using the weighted magnet is not make tesla's autopilot mechanically unsafe, as it does not change how tesla process the roads. While hacking Ford's blue cruise on non-mapped roads (is that even possible? I haven't heard of it, even so) is unsafe, but Ford's system depends on those maps for its self-driving calculations.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
illegal. yes, unsafe? How. If you're paying attention, and that's a you thing. When autopilot first came out, there was no eye or steering wheel torque monitoring. It was required by regulators because they don't trust the driver to do the right thing.

Let's be honest, how many of you have done illegal things in a car on a daily basis? Go over the speed limit? Drive without a front license plate even though your state requires one? Not come to a complete stop at a stop sign? turing right even though there were pedestrian still in the crosswalk, but nowhere near your car? etc. you get my drift. Using the weighted magnet is not make tesla's autopilot mechanically unsafe, as it does not change how tesla process the roads. While hacking Ford's blue cruise on non-mapped roads (is that even possible? I haven't heard of it, even so) is unsafe, but Ford's system depends on those maps for its self-driving calculations.
If you put a weight on the wheel the Ford will follow unmapped roads the same as it does mapped ones. It just wants your hands on the wheel

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
If you put a weight on the wheel the Ford will follow unmapped roads the same as it does mapped ones. It just wants your hands on the wheel
Then why have the maps at all? Does Ford not trust their system to be hands free without the maps? Is Ford's system safer with the maps than without?

In Tesla's system, there's no difference between using a weight or your hands as far as the performance of autonomous driving is concerned. Can the same be said of Ford's system without the maps?
Sponsored