Tesla model 3 Performance has 80.5kWh battery pack, 250kW charging capabilities but takes 40 minutes to charge?

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
So ~2.8miles/KW is my estimate at 75MPH ideal conditions Mach E.
Sponsored

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
It should have no problem, The aerodynamic chart I used is the Model X chart which if I remember correctly has slightly worse aerodynamics than the Mach E is slated to have. Both have roughly the same size battery as well. So should be able to compare them apples to apples.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...40-electrified-vehicles-by-2022-idUSKBN1F30YZ

Ford is already on par on paper with Mach E to a Model Y imo. Keep in mind this is their first model, and they've hit the nail on pretty much every buyers objective for a successful EV:

1. 300+ mile range
  2. 150KW Fast charging
  3. Technology
  4. Price
  5. Performance
  6. Style
Keep in mind it took Tesla ~10 years to get to the model 3. Ford is pretty much there out of the gate. What do you think will happen when Ford gets the momentum going? What about their Electric F150 set to debut soon?
That's why the whole "7 years behind" thing is kinda silly. Ford is jumping into the game nearly a decade after Tesla started, and with current battery technology that's way more capable than what Tesla started with. And they were smart to wait, IMO, so they could produce something like the Mach-E right out of the gate with their first major BEV (although granted, they did do a minor compliance BEV first in the FFE).

Self-driving is an area where Tesla may be way ahead, but for most drivers that's not anything more than a cool gadget that they'd never use. And probably won't add even if it's offered. Overblown for personal cars, IMO.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag

That's why the whole "7 years behind" thing is kinda silly. Ford is jumping into the game nearly a decade after Tesla started, and with current battery technology that's way more capable than what Tesla started with. And they were smart to wait, IMO, so they could produce something like the Mach-E right out of the gate with their first major BEV (although granted, they did do a minor compliance BEV first in the FFE).

Self-driving is an area where Tesla may be way ahead, but for most drivers that's not anything more than a cool gadget that they'd never use. And probably won't add even if it's offered. Overblown for personal cars, IMO.
Pretty much. Compliance cars do not count, because Legacy Auto's are required by federal governments worldwide to meet a certain emission standard across all their vehicles - otherwise they are fined. Actually quite ridiculous really. It was more of an afterthought and hence why they never spent the billions like Tesla to do an EV the proper way. It's like trying to put a block in the round circle. Doesn't make sense but somehow Tesla has made the EV make sense for a lot of folks. They've made one helluva go at it that's for sure.

Elon is a prime example of the American Dream.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
RWD, presumably. Then subtract another 10% for AWD?
I don't think it'll be that much drop, but we'll see. I think the AWD version will meet the 300 mile range and the RWD will do 315. Purely speculative

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Boy have you been lucky! Most every bank of chargers I've been to has had at least one charger that was somehow unusable. They may have just been short term software issues, or needed a reset/reboot but whatever it was it can't be used.

The more unfortunate cases were two DCFCs that were dead and were the only ones at their location. I had even checked the app and called the company to make sure one was working. The company rebooted the machine to check and it checked out fine -- remotely. Unfortunately that wasn't actually the case and I had to limp part of the way home on L2s as there were no other L3s within range.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't think it'll be that much drop, but we'll see. I think the AWD version will meet the 300 mile range and the RWD will do 315. Purely speculative
I was just using the same 10% scalar drop Ford used initially from 300 to 270. Hoping it's not a full 10% though.

Was hoping the different gear ratios on front and rear axles would act as sort of a high gear mileage advantage at high speed. But it appears it's just the opposite, that the front motor is geared to help acceleration more than high speed. Bummer.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
We have heard of Bolt owners having near 4.0 mile per kW range on the highway.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It should have no problem, The aerodynamic chart I used is the Model X chart which if I remember correctly has slightly worse aerodynamics than the Mach E is slated to have. Both have roughly the same size battery as well. So should be able to compare them apples to apples.
What are you using for these estimates, can you link it? Curious how far you think a Premium AWD Standard Range would get going 90 in 90 degree weather with the a/c at 50% - imagining a road trip from LA to Las Vegas...

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
What are you using for these estimates, can you link it? Curious how far you think a Premium AWD Standard Range would get going 90 in 90 degree weather with the a/c at 50% - imagining a road trip from LA to Las Vegas...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla model 3 Performance has 80.5kWh battery pack, 250kW charging capabilities but takes 40 minutes to charge? 1600814769147

Reactions: ARK