Tesla model 3 Performance has 80.5kWh battery pack, 250kW charging capabilities but takes 40 minutes to charge?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep, those that say traveling in a tesla is easy or better as ICE are only kidding themselves. I sure did love driving 3 hours then having to stop and charge for 45 minutes on road trips, having to eat at places that had L2 charging and waiting for two hours there, and constantly worrying about where my next supercharging station is.

Every single road trip I brought an extension cord and my mobile connector. There were many places I stayed I had to run a 50ft extension cord on 120V outlets to charge just so I could drive around that area the next day.

With My Raptor, I can drive it 12 hours straight before stopping at a pump. Not only that, I don't even worry about running it down to 5 miles left in the tank. Do that in an electric car, and your risking the range estimation meter being off and running out. There are stories of those with 10 miles left and car shuts down with EV's.

If my truck does run out of gas, I can call a local wrecker to bring me a gallon. Can't do that with EV's, you're going to get towed; possibly taking hours to the nearest charger/L2. You could stomach a wall outlet and sit for two to three hours. Those are serious concerns that I only started having once I owned the car. Didn't think about it until then.
While I have yet to drive a BEV yet, every one of those things are the same things I've considered too. I know many people are in different situations, and have different tolerances and preferences and motivations. For some a BEV on a long road trip may fit them fine. But that's gotta be a pretty small%. For nearly everyone else there are clear compromises (as you described) relative to a comparable ICE vehicle.

I wholly get some people accepting those compromises and saying they're willing to deal with them. That's fine. What I don't get is the failure to acknowledge the obvious compromises.
Sponsored

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
While I have yet to drive a BEV yet, every one of those things are the same things I've considered too. I know many people are in different situations, and have different tolerances and preferences and motivations. For some a BEV on a long road trip may fit them fine. But that's gotta be a pretty small%. For nearly everyone else there are clear compromises (as you described) relative to a comparable ICE vehicle.

I wholly get some people accepting those compromises and saying they're willing to deal with them. That's fine. What I don't get is the failure to acknowledge the obvious compromises.
Yep, especially if you're like me and I put 30,000 miles in 18 months on the car. If you're buying it to go to and from work, it's a different story. But most people don't have the cash to fork out 40k+ for a daily commuter only.

Those compromises must be addressed, and I'm sure as EV's gain more popularity more gas stations will have EA chargers and such.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But most people don't have the cash to fork out 40k+ for a daily commuter only.
I actually think that's where the meat of the BEV market will be for the next 5 years or so -- to households that have the money to own a house and garage (to charge in) and have 2+ cars. That's the "low hanging fruit" of the mainstream market where a BEV is viable even today. And it's a pretty sizeable market in the US, more than enough to power BEV growth for a while. Then as BEV prices come down, batteries improve, and the charging network expands throughout the decade, the meat of the market will broaden further.

"Commuter car" has kind of a bad rap, but the fact is for the vast majority of people, that's where they spend the vast majority of their car time and miles (around home), not road trips.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Longer range (solid state battery pack ) and faster charging times (800V HVB and/or soild state battery pack) are two items that will make road tripping in a BEV easier and similar to an ICE.

Yoliber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3 SR+
Country flag
Nothing but bad road experiences with my Model S. I don’t even use it for long trips any more. Everything from poor seat comfort, rattles, road noise, low confidence in range meter, lines at SuperCharger stations or having to change Superchargers because the one you plugged into barely charges.....I could go on.
worst in a 3. Ergonomics is definitely not Tesla's strong point. It's hard to keep the car going straight. With a 10.0 steering ratio with a small diameter wheel. Legroom is subpar as well.

Autosteer sucks on the 101 also. (at least at 75 mph).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I will be curious to see how much the cabin heater reduces range, because I know I'm not relying on just heated seats and seated steering wheel in the cold. I want warm air in the cabin too. Just because my butt and fingers are warm doesn't mean I want a cold nose. And I'm not spending 60 grand on a car only to be afraid to turn on the heat.

Fortunately for us, it won't matter a lot how much range we lose in the winter because pretty much all of our winter driving will be short drives around home (where we'll have plenty of range from nightly home charges). We almost never do road trips during the winter. Sometimes we'll get caught in a spring or fall cool spell driving across the mountains, but rarely below freezing.
Clearly not a ski bum!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If you set a go time while connected to your home charger. Would that also warm the cabin, etc for you? If so, that would mitigate some of the range loss. Those are legitimate concerns for most though. While temperatures will dip down into the upper 30's (3C or so) around here overnight and not get much over 50 at times, range is never an issue for me.
Yes, it does.