Tesla model 3 Performance has 80.5kWh battery pack, 250kW charging capabilities but takes 40 minutes to charge?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Perhaps knowing electricity is so cheap encourages people to drive, or they like their car so much they want to spend more time behind the wheel? I dunno, I hope I enjoy the MME as much and it encourages me to take more road trips I have put off.

But as others have said in this thread, there are still compromises, it’s just that it seems for many other Tesla owners, the pros of road-tripping in a BEV completely outweigh the cons. Otherwise, I can’t see why anyone would want to spend 30-60 minutes with a supercharger and have to also think about where they are located when you can just pull off at any exit and spend 5 minutes at a gas station on a road trip with an ICE. That’s still very much an ICE advantage. Otherwise Tesla wouldn’t be putting in so much effort to expand their charging network and increase charging speeds, they are trying to close that gap and I hope they, Ford, and the broader BEV industry succeeds.
Sponsored

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Yep, those that say traveling in a tesla is easy or better as ICE are only kidding themselves. I sure did love driving 3 hours then having to stop and charge for 45 minutes on road trips, having to eat at places that had L2 charging and waiting for two hours there, and constantly worrying about where my next supercharging/L2 station is.

Every single road trip I brought an extension cord and my mobile connector. There were many places I stayed I had to run a 50ft extension cord on 120V outlets to charge just so I could drive around that area the next day.

With My Raptor, I can drive it 12 hours straight before stopping at a pump. Not only that, I don't even worry about running it down to 5 miles left in the tank. Do that in an electric car, and your risking the range estimation meter being off and running out. There are stories of those with 10 miles left and car shuts down with EV's.

If my truck does run out of gas, I can call a local wrecker to bring me a gallon. Can't do that with EV's, you're going to get towed; possibly taking hours to the nearest charger/L2. You could stomach a wall outlet and sit for two to three hours. Those are serious concerns that I only started having once I owned the car. Didn't think about it until then.
This!

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It would, but we're retired so none of our drives are at a regular time. It's just "Well, why don't we go have lunch and make a Costco run" type of thing. Rarely pre-planned.

Not sure if we'll get in the habit of pulling out the phone once we decide to head out, start the climate control, then wait 10 minutes before leaving. I guess it depends on how cold it is, and how long it takes to warm up (or cool down in the summer). I rarely use the remote start feature on our Escape, but sometimes. Usually it's just a "decide to go so we just go" thing. Although we have a big garage so the car is never super hot or cold at home.

I'm more looking forward to turning on the climate control remotely 5 minutes before we're ready to leave a restaurant or the store, so the car isn't baking in the sun when we open the doors.
About the same here except we don't have a garage so we use the remote start often in winter, but with the Mach-E we will probably use it more in summer to.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Perhaps knowing electricity is so cheap encourages people to drive, or they like their car so much they want to spend more time behind the wheel? I dunno, I hope I enjoy the MME as much and it encourages me to take more road trips I have put off.

But as others have said in this thread, there are still compromises, it’s just that it seems for many other Tesla owners, the pros of road-tripping in a BEV completely outweigh the cons. Otherwise, I can’t see why anyone would want to spend 30-60 minutes with a supercharger and have to also think about where they are located when you can just pull off at any exit and spend 5 minutes at a gas station on a road trip with an ICE. That’s still very much an ICE advantage. Otherwise Tesla wouldn’t be putting in so much effort to expand their charging network and increase charging speeds, they are trying to close that gap and I hope they, Ford, and the broader BEV industry succeeds.
Electricity is really not much cheaper than gas at the moment. Someone driving 1,300 miles a month in NC with a Tesla Model 3 will spend ~$45 in electricity at home @ .12c/kw. A comparable size car will spend ~$60/month in gas with those same miles. Now factor a similarly equipped ICE car cost $10,000 less and you never make up the difference.

And you're absolutely right, and Tesla owners are sold on the SC network and how nice it is. But after owning a Tesla for a few years you realize it really isn't a good road trip car (relatively speaking to ICE). The excitement of it for me wore off quickly. There was never a time I went on a road trip and didn't have to constantly think about my stop/destination and how many miles I can go and the limiting factors. Or going to a friends house and saying "mind if I plug into your outlet?"

In my ICE, I get in and go wherever without even thinking about it. Those that claim to do a road trip like that in a Tesla are absolutely lying to themselves and others. I tried to sell myself on the "enjoy the journey" and the "have to go out of your way on a road trip to supercharge" & waste 45 minutes of time. But like I said, that crap wore off fast.

I never bought my Tesla to save money, I bought it because I was sold on the lifestyle. Unfortunately for me, it's not a lifestyle I enjoyed for long.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Electricity is really not much cheaper than gas at the moment. Someone driving 1,300 miles a month in NC with a Tesla Model 3 will spend ~$45 in electricity at home @ .12c/kw. A comparable size car will spend ~$60/month in gas with those same miles. Now factor a similarly equipped ICE car cost $10,000 less and you never make up the difference.

And you're absolutely right, and Tesla owners are sold on the SC network and how nice it is. But after owning a Tesla for a few years you realize it really isn't a good road trip car (relatively speaking to ICE). The excitement of it for me wore off quickly. There was never a time I went on a road trip and didn't have to constantly think about my stop/destination and how many miles I can go and the limiting factors. Or going to a friends house and saying "mind if I plug into your outlet?"

In my ICE, I get in and go wherever without even thinking about it. Those that claim to do a road trip like that in a Tesla are absolutely lying to themselves and others. I tried to sell myself on the "enjoy the journey" and the "have to go out of your way on a road trip to supercharge" & waste 45 minutes of time. But like I said, that crap wore off fast.

I never bought my Tesla to save money, I bought it because I was sold on the lifestyle. Unfortunately for me, it's not a lifestyle I enjoyed for long.
Thanks for an owners report. There currently isn't too many EV options and the charging network needs to grow. What is the chance that superchargers and ccs mate in a form of an adaptor?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for an owners report. There currently isn't too many EV options and the charging network needs to grow. What is the chance that superchargers and ccs mate in a form of an adaptor?
That would help mitigate one leg of the 3-leg stool that's a big challenge for BEV road trips:

(a) Charger coverage/availability
(b) Sloooow refueling
(c) Seriously degraded range at high speed where people usually do road trips

I think I've heard it posted somewhere here that it's more than a matter of just an adapter, it's that the supercharger itself won't accept it (although I could be wrong). And even in the reverse situation (a Tesla using an EA charger), it's only the 50 kW CHAdeMO. Better than nothing, but it makes an already slow 30 minute charge even slower by taking twice as long. Other have pointed out that Tesla probably doesn't want non-Tesla vehicles tying up their chargers for their proprietary customers.

Hopefully (b) and (c) will improve with future batteries, and even some with OTA updates on out MMEs. ?

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
For a daily commuter, absolutely. For a road trip vehicle, no. My next car would be a used electric mach e as a beater car.

Electrification is great, but the downfalls are quite severe. Some buyers overlook them and especially now because most people who have 50k laying around can afford more than one vehicle that's non electric. Too many people on Tesla forums and others try to sell people that EV's have absolutely no down falls. Even going so far to claim they are so much better than ICE.

EV's in fact have some severe downfalls I've explained in this forum. It's whether or not you think you'd be happy buying into that lifestyle of sacrifices. If you can afford both then I would say it's a no brainer.

Last edited:

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag