Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Hello all,

Yesterday I took my Model 3 to the closest V3 supercharger - quite the road trip. The closest one to me was over 5 hours away. Tesla has been slow to unveil V3 and they are rare at the moment. I thought it would be a good test to really evaluate Tesla's claim for 250KW speed. Here is what I have:

As you can see, I never achieved close to the 250KW speed advertised:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Model 3 - V3 250KW charging facts IMG-2836 (1).PNG

The battery had preconditioned prior to arrival (set in GPS). You can see outside it's 62F, and there is no reason it shouldn't have been getting 250KW. It quickly tapered down to 170KW once the battery reached 80 miles of range and at 50% it was back down to 125KW and slowly dropping.

Supercharger cabinet stats:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Model 3 - V3 250KW charging facts IMG-2834

How V3 is suppose to charge your car:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Model 3 - V3 250KW charging facts Tesla-Model-3-LR-on-Supercharger-V3-June-2019-Data

My purpose of this thread is to demonstrate that although Tesla advertises 250KW rates, even under ideal conditions your car seems to decide what level to charge at. Charge time from 20% to 90% was 35 minutes.

V2 superchargers can charge the car at up to 150KW and I rarely see that rate as well. Typically my car is charging at 140KW at those and scales back similar to the orange dotted graph.

Will be interesting to see the Mach E curve and if it ever scales back charge rates considerably.

Last edited:

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
You achieved charging rates that are a whole lot higher than I’ve ever gotten with my S. Color me green with envy.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I rarely get above 100kWh and when I do it’s extremely brief. My charging times these days at SCs are not fun.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Will be interesting to see the Mach E curve and if it ever scales back charge rates considerably.
I'm expecting a fairly similar charge curve as that for the Mach-e too. With a rather short segment early in the curve at max charge rate (150 kW). As I noted in another thread, there was a quote from a Ford rep that said it would charge at 150 kW "only briefly". Saying that's part of how they kept the cost of the vehicle down.

Second clue: the advertised charging time of 45 minutes from 10-80% (ER battery). That's the 98.8 kWh battery. If we estimate 90 kWh usable, 70% of that is 63 kWh. A full 150 kW charge means a rate of 2.5 kWh per minute (150 / 60). If it charged at 150 kW up to the 80% mark, that would only take 25 minutes (63 / 2.5 = 25). The fact that it takes 45 minutes suggests it must taper pretty early. And fairly significantly at that. Probably similar to that M3 chart.
Sponsored