Tesla Model Y reliability "much worse than average," Consumer Reports says

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
YUP: the roll out last year by Ford of the Explorer a redesign, not a total new design from the ground up with all new technology that is the MME , went smoothly: only 3 recalls in the first 5 months!

That is a confidence builder!

What could possibly go wrong?
wrong it was a totally new design. built on the new rear-wheel-drive based CD6 platform shared with the new lincoln aviator.
Sponsored

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
wrong it was a totally new design. built on the new rear-wheel-drive based CD6 platform shared with the new lincoln aviator.
What I meant that it was a design, ICE and RWD which Ford has experience with.

The MME is totally new for Ford.

Hope that clarifies

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As Tesla has experience with EV and still problems and............................?

Hope that clarifies
Everyone knows about the quality control problems with Tesla products. That is one of the main topics in this thread.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
What I meant that it was a design, ICE and RWD which Ford has experience with.

The MME is totally new for Ford.
GM had no history with a serial hybrid but the Volt was built like a tank and very reliable. In some ways the first generation of a totally new technology produces the most reliable copies because the engineers aren't sure of what might go wrong so you have more "belt and suspenders" designs. In later designs they remove the suspenders to save costs.

That doesn't mean the MME won't have issues. All vehicles do. But it helps to have done thousands of model launches rather than literally a handful.

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
GM had no history with a serial hybrid but the Volt was built like a tank and very reliable.
If you say so.

Never had any interest and know very little about the Volt except the resale value on trade in or sale to private owner is abysmal.

The Volt depreciates quite rapidly so it is a car I would never buy or own.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
DETROIT (AP) — The U.S. government’s road safety agency is investigating complaints that front suspensions can fail on nearly 115,000 Tesla electric vehicles.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it has 43 complaints that linkages near the ball joints can fail, allowing contact between the tire and wheel liner.

The probe announced Friday covers 2015 through 2017 Model S sedans and 2016 through 2017 Model X SUVs.

The agency says 32 owners complained of failures at low speeds, but 11 said the links failed on roads while traveling above 10 mph, including four at highway speeds.

The probe could lead to a recall.
The quote is from a thread just started today. Thought it might be appropriate here.

Ouch!

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I’m not surprised by the response the Mach received.

Model 3s and Ys in California are like Corollas and elicit a meh response, like a Corolla would.
These guys usually nail their specs but were way of comparing the ID.4 and Mach E Select ranges. The Mach E Select hits 230 miles with 9 kWh smaller usable battery, not 2!

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
These guys usually nail their specs but were way of comparing the ID.4 and Mach E Select ranges. The Mach E Select hits 230 miles with 9 kWh smaller usable battery, not 2!
The usable battery capacity of the Standard Range Mach E is only 68 kWh. For the ID.4 it is 77. That's a difference of 9 kWh, not 2. So if you compare the two cars, the Mach E gets 230 miles/68 kWh = 3.38 mi/kWh, while the ID.4 is 250/77 = 3.25 mi/kWh.

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
The usable battery capacity of the Standard Range Mach E is only 68 kWh. For the ID.4 it is 77. That's a difference of 9 kWh, not 2. So if you compare the two cars, the Mach E gets 230 miles/68 kWh = 3.38 mi/kWh, while the ID.4 is 250/77 = 3.25 mi/kWh.
MME is heavier (not sure why) than MY and I.D.4, hence also cause the less efficiency.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
MME is heavier (not sure why) than MY and I.D.4, hence also cause the less efficiency.
But the numbers show it’s more efficient than the ID.4.
Sponsored