RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
If I was Tesla, I doubt vehicle reliability would be high on my list of issues to solve until I have significant competition. Right now, people will buy its product "because BEV", even if it's quality is worse than Yugo. They have manufacturing capacity and liquidity issues to solve that are much more critical.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
There is an old adage:

"When it comes to cars, never ever buy first year of production."

I have to decide if I am smart enough to follow that adage!
Never buy the "A Model" of anything. Old airplane adage. True too. ;)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, you are going to wait then? ;)
No. Ford does a far better job than Boeing in quality control as it turns out. Haven't seen a Ford car banned from the roads for 24 months. And the Max is just the tip of the iceberg in the quality issues at Boeing.

I expect the MME rollout to go far smoother, though not perfectly.

Last edited:

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
No. Ford does a far better job than Boeing in quality control as it turns out. Haven't seen a Ford car banned from the roads for 24 months. And the Max is just the tip of the iceberg in the quality issues at Boeing.

YUP: the roll out last year by Ford of the Explorer a redesign, not a total new design from the ground up with all new technology that is the MME , went smoothly: only 3 recalls in the first 5 months!

That is a confidence builder!

What could possibly go wrong?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
YUP: the roll out last year by Ford of the Explorer a redesign, not a total new design from the ground up with all new technology that is the MME , went smoothly: only 3 recalls in the first 5 months!

That is a confidence builder!

What could possibly go wrong?
Banning the car from all highways and keeping it banned for over 24 months because you did things on the cheap, knew there were issues, hid those issues from the end operators, intentionally cut corners in quality control and killed people. The Explorer rollout was stellar in comparison to the 737-Max. Boeing has lost credibility with an entire generation of airline pilots. Did that happen with Ford?

I understand your concern though. The Mach-e rollout will not go perfectly or even smoothly. There will be hiccups and setbacks. But the fact that Ford has insisted upon quality control in this project put it well ahead of the manufacturer in Seattle (and elsewhere).

Last edited:

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag

I don't intend to ever fly in a Max because fundamentally, they are forcing an old airframe to compete with the newer A320neo from Airbus. They stuck big engines, almost touching the ground, and further forward which threw the balance of the plane off. (Counter intuitively to a layman, I figured they would weigh the nose down, but in fact, their size and position cause the nose to lift, hence the software to push the nose down so avoid stall) So, they are fixing a flawed plane with software. What could go wrong? I know you know all that much better than I.

As you say, tip of the iceberg. The in depth articles of what went wrong and the broken culture at Boeing are so scary and also simply disappointing. I certainly expected better.

Last edited:

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
I don't intend to ever fly in a Max because fundamentally, they are forcing an old airframe to compete with the newer A320neo from Airbus. They stuck big engines, almost touching the ground, and further forward which threw the balance of the plane off. (Counter intuitively to a layman, I figured they would weigh the nose down, but in fact, their size and position cause the nose to lift, hence the software to push the nose down so avoid stall) So, they are fixing a flawed plane with software. What could go wrong? I know you know all that much better than I.

As you say, tip of the iceberg. The in depth articles of what went wrong and the broken culture at Boeing are so scary and also simply disappointing. I certainly expected better.
Hasn’t been the same since management moved to another city. Another great company ruined by pursuit of profits to appease wall street and nobody else.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hasn’t been the same since management moved to another city. Another great company ruined by pursuit of profits to appease wall street and nobody else.
Be careful who you merge with. You get the worst of both companies.

Like a Tesla - Ford merger. A match made in Hades?

Let's not start that rumor.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Be careful who you merge with. You get the worst of both companies.

Like a Tesla - Ford merger. A match made in Hades?

Let's not start that rumor.
For a long time, ford and VW were right on the verge of a big merger. VW wanted ford for trucks and van sales, while ford would get help in car sales. With the declining sales in cars, it was not meant to be.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
For a long time, ford and VW were right on the verge of a big merger. VW wanted ford for trucks and van sales, while ford would get help in car sales. With the declining sales in cars, it was not meant to be.
I honestly think that would have been a fiasco at the level of a Stellantis. (*)

(*) In case you don't know, because you're a normal human, that is the official replacement name for the merger of Fiat Chrysler and PSA Group. (**)

(**) I am literally not making this up, no matter how much you might think I am because WTAF

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
72rqmxhjcib51.png

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
more like this:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Model Y reliability "much worse than average," Consumer Reports says skinny_sweet
?charging 9 to 5
what a way to power cars
handily getting by
using no petrol or no diesel
Ford will use the roads
And might offer you credit
It's enough to drive you
Real fast if you let it ?

(alternate joke: "There's a short... in the frunk")

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag