Tesla owner arrested after being caught ‘backseat driving’

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/california-police-arrest-backseat-tesla-driver

A man who was spotted riding in the backseat of a Tesla Model 3 with its partially automated driving feature apparently engaged was arrested on Monday after fellow motorists alerted the police.

tesla-tow.jpg

(CHP)
The California Highway Patrol reported that 25-year-old Param Sharma was taken into custody when an officer at the Bay Bridge toll plaza in Oakland saw the car pass by without anyone in the driver's seat.

According to the report, the officer witnessed Sharma get into the driver's seat and bring the vehicle to a stop. The vehicle was towed and Sharma was taken into custody and charged with reckless driving and disobeying an officer.

The CHP said Sharma had previously been cited on April 27 for similar behavior and that video of someone resembling him riding in the back of a Model 3 with no one visible in the driver's seat had been posted to social media.

Sharma told KTVU that he spent the night in jail and that after he was released on Tuesday night he rode home in the back seat of a friend's Tesla with no one sitting in the front seat.

"I’ve been brake-checked before really hard, and the car stopped. The car came to a complete stop. Elon Musk really knows what he’s doing and I think people are tripping and they're scared," Sharma said.

The latest version of Tesla's Full Self-Driving feature is capable of driving a vehicle in many conditions and following navigation instructions, but requires someone to be buckled into the front seat and occasionally touching the steering wheel to prove they are paying attention, or else it will disengage.

Some Tesla owners have used weights attached to the steering wheel that mimic a driver's hand to beat the system, the latter procedure recently demonstrated by Consumer Reports. It is not clear if such a device was present in the car in the video.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Tesla's less-capable Autopilot feature has been connected to several fatal accidents involving drivers who were apparently relying too heavily on it and not paying proper attention to the road. The National Transportation Safety Board has called on the automaker to enact stronger safeguards on the operation of its driver aids to prevent similar situations.

Sharma is scheduled to appear in court on July 6 and told KTVU that he has every intention of continuing to ride in the back seat, and said that by next year everyone will be doing the same.
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Sharma is scheduled to appear in court on July 6 and told KTVU that he has every intention of continuing to ride in the back seat, and said that by next year everyone will be doing the same.
On that statement alone, he should have his driving privileges revoked for at least a year or more.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The latest version of Tesla's Full Self-Driving feature is capable of driving a vehicle in many conditions and following navigation instructions, but requires someone to be buckled into the front seat and occasionally touching the steering wheel to prove they are paying attention, or else it will disengage.
Dear Fox News, this is horrible reporting right here. ?

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
On that statement alone, he should have his driving privileges revoked for at least a year or more.
By his backwards logic he doesn't need his driving privildges since his car's driving. He seems like a real class act...

KTVU reported that Sharma characterized himself as being above the blue-collar world.
“I don’t drive and I don’t fill up gas. I am a gold collar,” he said.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
By his backwards logic he doesn't need his driving privildges since his car's driving. He seems like a real class act...

KTVU reported that Sharma characterized himself as being above the blue-collar world.
Ok, that settles it. This guy needs to be thrown off the planet :( ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Put a GPS tracker on him with a requirement he report in to authorities any time he will travel faster than 20 mph.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Everyone: I wonder where he got the idea that he doesn't need to be in the driver's seat?

Tesla:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla owner arrested after being caught ‘backseat driving’ FireShot Capture 053 - Autopilot - Tesla - www.tesla.com

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Pompous entitled prick!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
>KTVU reported that Sharma characterized himself as being above
>the blue-collar world. “I don’t drive and I don’t fill up gas.
>I am a gold collar,” he said.

Elongated Muskrat Jr.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
After jail or prison, there should be one or two years where he is required to drive something like a 1976 Chevy Chevette manual transmission as his only option (sample from Wikipedia page, this one is too nice, although I do like the idea of probation orange).
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla owner arrested after being caught ‘backseat driving’ Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 5.17.03 PM

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Sharma told KTVU that he spent the night in jail and that after he was released on Tuesday night he rode home in the back seat of a friend's Tesla with no one sitting in the front seat.
I don't know which is worse.

That a friend lent this lunatic his Tesla and he got it to drive with no one in either front seat.

Or the friend is a lunatic also, and rode in the passenger seat.

Maybe the fact that there might be 2 Tesla loonies driving around California is worse?

Sort of puts the debate about that Dr. that went out in a blaze of Tesla glory in a different light.

Some debate along the lines of "You can't do that with a Tesla". Oh, really?
Sponsored