Tesla refuses $6.4M funding from California due to requirement of accepting payment via credit card...

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, and the EV landscape is new enough that all EV manufacturers should be mandated to accept one protocol. And since Tesla's system seems to be working well and they have the most stations, I say adopt their protocol. Why re-invent the wheel.
The main thing that made that protocol work so well is their closed proprietary system. Something that should not be duplicated.

That allowed Plug&Charge to easily be implemented, which is the main thing that makes it work so well for customers. But now that Tesla is opening SCs up to CCS vehicles, they have the same problem -- lack of P&C for CCS vehicles. With P&C, the app is a one-time account setup (or even done without the app on a computer). But without P&C, the app is necessary on every use.

So I wouldn't really say their protocol is fully the answer either. They've got a long way to go to duplicate that ease of use on CCS cars too (which will be probably 75% of the EV market in a few years).
Sponsored

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Tap to pay or pay via app are miles ahead of swiping a card in both speed and security. It’s not even close. There’s no reason why anybody should be swiping or inserting a card at this point.
No one is saying they have to abandon the app, just that there is an easy, robust system they can implement that would enable people that don’t want to download yet another app to still be able to charge and pay.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Some retailers are shifting more toward app payment too. When we shop at Sam's Club, we use the app to scan our items, pay with the card on file, and skip the checkout line.
Are you REQUIRED to use the app to shop at Sam’s Club? If not, this is a false equivalency.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Are you REQUIRED to use the app to shop at Sam’s Club? If not, this is a false equivalency.
No, but that doesn't mean that it won't change in the future. Things evolve. When there's a better way of doing something, people and company will adapt.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No, just saying that using apps for payment is becoming more commonplace.

I'm not against networks offering credit card readers if they choose. I just don't think it's a good idea to require them to get the funding at this point, since we need more DCFC across the board ASAP and I'd rather not hold a 90% solution hostage to the 100%. ChargePoints and SuperChargers w/MDs are a really good 90% solution that would benefit a ton of people.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Some retailers are shifting more toward app payment too. When we shop at Sam's Club, we use the app to scan our items, pay with the card on file, and skip the checkout line.
I used the scan and go app as well, but Sam’s still has card readers bc some people don’t do the app things.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
No, but that doesn't mean that it won't change in the future. Things evolve. When there's a better way of doing something, people and company will adapt.
Betamax, laserdisc, HD-DVD, pay by the hour “girlfriend” experiences, need I continue?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Yes, and the EV landscape is new enough that all EV manufacturers should be mandated to accept one protocol. And since Tesla's system seems to be working well and they have the most stations, I say adopt their protocol. Why re-invent the wheel.
Actually, the credit card reader protocol has been around much longer, works quite well, and is universal in that you don’t have to drag along propriety apps. I don’t want a bunch of “single-tasker” apps on my phone.
Sponsored