Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
https://www.slashgear.com/1215107/t...night-charging-plan-and-wireless-car-charger/

NEWS
TECH
CARS
GAMING
ENTERTAINMENT
SCIENCE
HEALTH
REVIEWS
FEATURES
ABOUT
EDITORIAL POLICIES
PRIVACY POLICY
TERMS OF USE
© 2023 Static Media®. All Rights Reserved

Tesla Reveals Unlimited Overnight Charging Plan And Wireless Car Charger

Octus_Photography/Shutterstock
BY BRITTANY ROSTON/MARCH 1, 2023 8:45 PM EST
Tesla wants to incentivize its customers to use renewable energy, and one of the ways it plans to do this is with a highly affordable unlimited home charging plan ... though it'll only be made available to certain Tesla owners, at least for the foreseeable future. The EV maker announced the upcoming subscription option during the Tesla Investor Day 2023 event on March 1, revealing it alongside some other key details about the company's future as well as its ambitious "master plan" for pushing the global market to electrification.

Among the highlights from the presentation was an announcement that the next Gigafactory will be built near Monterrey, Mexico, and that it will build future Tesla EVs based on the company's newly detailed next-generation car platform. According to details provided by Musk and others at Tesla who participated in the presentation, the next-generation platform will bring some key changes to the Tesla lineup, including a smaller, lighter, more efficient, and more affordable architecture, paving the way for Tesla EV models that don't cost as much as the current-generation roster.

Tesla customers in Texas will soon have an unlimited home charging option

Tesla/YouTube
As a quick aside during the lengthy presentation, Tesla announced that its customers in Texas will get access to an optional $30 per month unlimited home charging plan starting in or around July 2023. The plan will specifically involve unlimited charging overnight at one's home, with the automaker noting that the state "has a ton of land" and that "the wind blows at night." By offering this affordable unlimited offering, Tesla hopes to encourage its customers to charge their EVs at home during the nighttime hours using renewable energy, ultimately representing one step of many in the societal shift toward greener options.

Tesla made it clear that this is just part of a wider plan to incentivize Tesla ownership and the use of green energy in general, though whether it will ever make its way to your own market remains to be seen. In this case, the company is able to offer the deal because of the huge quantity of inexpensive electricity generated by windmills in the state. The concept of incentivizing customers to offload resource consumption to more ideal times isn't new, of course — Elon Musk's Starlink satellite internet service will soon implement a daytime data cap but allow for unlimited overnight downloading, for example.

Tesla may have teased wireless EV charging, too

Tesla/YouTube
As they say, blink and you'll miss it. Around the same time Tesla announced the overnight charging plan, it also showed an image of a Tesla parked in a home garage. Give it a second look and you'll notice the slim, shiny charger mounted on the wall — look again, and you may also notice what appears to be a wireless charging pad on the ground underneath the electric vehicle. The image was presented under the caption, "Can't forget to do cool sh*t," indicating that it's a concept image representing one of the cool things that may be made available to Tesla owners in the future.

The idea behind wireless charging is that rather than having to get out of your car, grab the charger, and plug it in, you can simply pull your EV into the garage like usual and go about your business, no additional effort required. Because the charging mat is located below the car, the vehicle will automatically start charging wirelessly when the vehicle is parked over it. This, of course, would be a far less creepy alternative to a different idea Tesla explored: a robot charger that autonomously moves in a serpentine fashion to connect itself with the vehicle, all the while triggering the idea of parasitic infestation in the more primitive parts of the human mind.

Read More: https://www.slashgear.com/1215107/t...night-charging-plan-and-wireless-car-charger/
Sponsored

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
There needs to be more details about this but on the face of it it doesn’t seem super competitive, unless you have more than one EV or driving more than 600 miles/month. Right now there are tons of electric plans here in DFW that offer free electricity during nighttime hours. My current plan is free from 9pm-7am and this covers all usage, not just EV charging.

CurtW

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
I guess I am lost on this. How will Tesla offer unlimited charging at one's home? Is Tesla also the electric utility in this scenario? What am I missing?

OP
OP
HuntingPudel

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I guess I am lost on this. How will Tesla offer unlimited charging at one's home? Is Tesla also the electric utility in this scenario? What am I missing?
From how I understood the article they are. Not sure on how the mechanics of the metering will work. Maybe they monitor what goes through the EVSE at those hours and the local utility bills Brand T for it? 🤷‍♂️🐩

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
It requires a power wall, which requires Tesla solar. Sounds like they're moving numbers around to make it sound like you're able to get something amazing for $30 and getting you to spend $30k to do so. When in TX night prices are usually around 3 to 5 cents a /hr. It'll take a LOT or all your charging to break even. Unless this includes recharging your power wall from the grid at night, at which you could charge the car anytime from the wall and refill the wall off peak and off solar.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
It requires a power wall, which requires Tesla solar. Sounds like they're moving numbers around to make it sound like you're able to get something amazing for $30 and getting you to spend $30k to do so. When in TX night prices are usually around 3 to 5 cents a /hr. It'll take a LOT or all your charging to break even. Unless this includes recharging your power wall from the grid at night, at which you could charge the car anytime from the wall and refill the wall off peak and off solar.
I like Tesla's innovation and Musk doesn't move the needle for me either way when it comes to a car purchase, but the company's proclivity towards used car salesman math like this (another example is the "potential gas savings" they "subtract" from vehicle prices...their loco range estimates....or "Full Self Driving") is a complete turnoff to me.

Deleted member 16048

I like Tesla's innovation and Musk doesn't move the needle for me either way when it comes to a car purchase, but the company's proclivity towards used car salesman math like this (another example is the "potential gas savings" they "subtract" from vehicle prices...their loco range estimates....or "Full Self Driving") is a complete turnoff to me.
You're not alone here, they are great at marketing, but in reality they are building "cheap" cars with tricky wording and misleading statements to justify a premium price.

I'm still surprised that they classify the Model 3 as a mass market premium car. I can argue that it isn't based on how many of them are around and they are pretty basic.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
You're not alone here, they are great at marketing, but in reality they are building "cheap" cars with tricky wording and misleading statements to justify a premium price.

I'm still surprised that they classify the Model 3 as a mass market premium car. I can argue that it isn't based on how many of them are around and they are pretty basic.
Agreed. The idea that the Model 3 is premium….. then I guess my 2007 Prius was near-luxury!

OP
OP
HuntingPudel

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Wow, so this sounds like more Musk hyperbole. Sorry I perpetuated this. ☹🐩

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
In Texas, it’s a free energy market and any company you choose can buy or sell power to/from your home. So yes, Tesla will be your power company which you’ll pay your power bill to. Tesla has developed new software to game the energy market called Autobidder that controls charging when prices are low or negative. It seems sophisticated enough to control charging on a minute by minute basis to react to real-time price fluctuations in the energy market. By only charging when the price of power is negative, you can actually make money charging your car.

Once legacy utilities get wind of this and see Tesla making money charging cars, I think they will all want to copy it and/or install grid storage.

The cost of power where I live is often negative at night, and I’m often thought about doing the same thing where the EVSE reacts to real time pricing. Since my car charges late at night I’m probably making money for my utility.

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
they are pretty misleading with all their numbers even with car sales, they only show you the cost of the car with other savings as default, and I had a Tesla salesman, oh yeah, you can't go by those prices lol

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
It's the mentality there.
"If you turn the chart this way it doesn't look like the numbers are going down. And if you skew this line it looks like we're making money"
^^ NOT trying to start a Tesla numbers are actually going up/down/sideways argument, just the example of if you look at it from across the street those panels line up.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
In Texas, it’s a free energy market and any company you choose can buy or sell power to/from your home. So yes, Tesla will be your power company which you’ll pay your power bill to. Tesla has developed new software to game the energy market called Autobidder that controls charging when prices are low or negative. It seems sophisticated enough to control charging on a minute by minute basis to react to real-time price fluctuations in the energy market. By only charging when the price of power is negative, you can actually make money charging your car.

Once legacy utilities get wind of this and see Tesla making money charging cars, I think they will all want to copy it and/or install grid storage.

The cost of power where I live is often negative at night, and I’m often thought about doing the same thing where the EVSE reacts to real time pricing. Since my car charges late at night I’m probably making money for my utility.
I feel like I’ve heard of another company that was engaged in energy arbitrage that seemed too good to be true…
Sponsored