Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Quite interesting.
I wonder if Tesla is planning to switch the type of charge port their cars use to J1772?

Power share is the next must have feature for new EVSEs....

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Quite interesting.
I wonder if Tesla is planning to switch the type of charge port their cars use to J1772?

Power share is the next must have feature for new EVSEs....
I wouldn't think so. Switching plug types to CCS/J1772 in North America would be a huge undertaking to update all the superchargers, destination chargers and still make the system backwards compatible with 'older' proprietary plug types of existing customers vehicles.

The page says "For Tesla vehicle owners, we recommend a Wall Connector ". Which links to their proprietary plug type EVSE.

I think they are trying to cross sell to people that have both a Tesla and another EV. And/or trying to get into selling EVSE's to everyone not just Tesla owners.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
There's a bank of Tesla destination chargers at my local airport with J1772 connectors on them that have been there for years. I think Tesla has had these available for a while, but maybe just not selling them directly to consumers. Notice this is a version 2 unit, so it's not even their current version. Maybe they had a bunch of version 2 hardware laying around and figured they could pawn it off on non-Tesla owners.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Arent' they under pressure to standardize their plugs in Europe? Could it be related?

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Charge your electric vehicle at home with the J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector, a convenient home charging solution for electric vehicle owners. Simply plug in overnight and charge while you sleep.

Providing up to 9.6 kW (40 amp) power output for a single vehicle, the J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector includes a 24-foot (7.3 meter) cable length, multiple power settings and a versatile indoor/outdoor design.

I just copied that ftom the article. It was launched today. It will work on ALL EV's. I think the J1772 plug. And at $400 dollars. I think it might ne worth looking at.

Do any of you guys think this is worth a gander? I do. I want to find out more information on it and read up. The price point, 24 ft charging cable, 40 amps. All looks pretty good. My 2. Cents.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I'd consider it if I didn't already have a J1772 L2 charger (I'd have to put tape over the name). That's $200 cheaper than my charger was 4 years ago.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I'd consider it if I didn't already have a J1772 L2 charger (I'd have to put tape over the name). That's $200 cheaper than my charger was 4 years ago.
I was dam near ready to order the charge point home flex. But couldnt find it anywhere. For a car that doesnt come till March/April. If it comes at that time. . I have to look into this a bit. Thanks for your comment. ?

Sam2084

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 CR-V, E4X Ordered
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I was dam near ready to order the charge point home flex. But couldnt find it anywhere. For a car that doesnt come till March/April. If it comes at that time. . I have to look into this a bit. Thanks for your comment. ?
I probably won’t get my Mach E till March but decided to get the charger now so I could get the 30% tax credit. Bought the home flex through their website on back order and it took about 4 weeks to arrive. 48A has that Tesla 40A charger beat.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Do you have a link with more detailed product info?

If it is a basic 40A charger w/ J1772 plug for $400 then that is quite competitive. Next best of the ”real” brands would be the Grizzl-E Classic at $460 (which I have and recommend).

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I probably won’t get my Mach E till March but decided to get the charger now so I could get the 30% tax credit. Bought the home flex through their website on back order and it took about 4 weeks to arrive. 48A has that Tesla 40A charger beat.
True. But charging at home I think setting it at 30 is better. Slow charging the battery. Heck, whats the rush. Its right in the garage to use whenever you want. My opinion. But I do like that charger. Shes rated top notch.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Do you have a link with more detailed product info?

If it is a basic 40A charger w/ J1772 plug for $400 then that is quite competitive. Next best of the ”real” brands would be the Grizzl-E Classic at $460 (which I have and recommend).
Sorry no. When I opened AOL it was in the little fluury of todays headlines. I am just going to google it when I get home. But it looks good on the Cover.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Charge your electric vehicle at home with the J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector, a convenient home charging solution for electric vehicle owners. Simply plug in overnight and charge while you sleep.

Providing up to 9.6 kW (40 amp) power output for a single vehicle, the J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector includes a 24-foot (7.3 meter) cable length, multiple power settings and a versatile indoor/outdoor design.

I just copied that ftom the article. It was launched today. It will work on ALL EV's. I think the J1772 plug. And at $400 dollars. I think it might ne worth looking at.

Do any of you guys think this is worth a gander? I do. I want to find out more information on it and read up. The price point, 24 ft charging cable, 40 amps. All looks pretty good. My 2. Cents.

Would have got that if It was available last Feb. Not a bad price and a sure sign Tesla is about making money. They already make the chargers, why not just swap the cable and go for market share.

dbonsett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag

I orded a Mach E GTP and Tesla Y. Wondering how I am gonna charge them. Dont wanna run more than 1 circuit.
Sponsored