Rhino

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GTPE
Country flag
Seems like a pretty good value to me for the stated max charge rate (40 amps). This is particularly so if you get smart charger features with the Tesla app.

When I was researching what charger to get back in the Spring, most of the chargers around this price point seemed to max out at 32 amps and were not smart, i.e. no app to control charging or get charging statistics on.
I didn't know if something like this quick amazon search was comparable to it
https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Leve...=&hvlocphy=9010835&hvtargid=pla-1039231738552
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I didn't know if something like this quick amazon search was comparable to it
https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Leve...=&hvlocphy=9010835&hvtargid=pla-1039231738552
That could work, but does not appear to be a smart charger. Also, that is a more portable type of charger and has a bit shorter cord length (which still might be plenty), basically a less durable solution.

If you were going to buy that, you could instead simply use the one that comes with the Mach-E because that is also a non-smart portable charger, which some people do. That one I believe is limited to 32 amps though (which is usually fine assuming you overnight charge on the days you need to charge).

TheCats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y5Z
Country flag
Would there be a reason to get the Tesla version instead of the many options available already? I just got Mach e ordered, so this is the next step for me.
Yes. The Tesla Gen 2 charger power shares, making it easy to add additional chargers on the same circuit.

The Gen 2 charger is better constructed, more functional and has better software stability than Tesla's Gen 3 charger.

At this price, it's a great value for the capability. A few years ago I would have predicted that $400 home EVSEs would be exceptions, with most sold under $200. Competition hasn't pushed down the prices of the second tier and off brands. You might as well buy a brand name unit.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
I orded a Mach E GTP and Tesla Y. Wondering how I am gonna charge them. Dont wanna run more than 1 circuit.
I have both an MME and MY. Best option is to get a J1772 EVSE. The Tesla will come with the adapter. All you need to do is insert the adapter in the car, then plug in. When done, unplug, then pull out the adapter.

Even if you want to keep the adapter in the Tesla, buying a second is cheaper than buying the equivalent Tesla destination to J1772 adapter for the MME.

Having a single EVSE works well so long as both cars don't need to charge the same night (and you're not worried about plugged in pre-conditioning). Otherwise, you might want to look at options where two EVSEs can share a circuit and modify the charge load. I believe this Tesla J1772 one has that ability.

WWJPD

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I think Tesla is doing 3 things here:
  1. Make a bit of extra money selling EVSE to non-Tesla BEV owners.
  2. Enabling multiple car charging from 1 240v home circuit with options for Tesla's format and allow for J1772 at the same time.
  3. Tesla ecosystem integration...This is something that I'm trying to figure out with non-Tesla systems:
    1. Enable charging to happen only when a Tesla solar system is producing
    2. Enable charging to happen only when a Tesla solar system is overproducing, dumping power into a BEV instead of selling it back to the grid(at potential less value)
    3. Do NOT enable BEV charging during times of grid outage and the homeowner is running off of Tesla Powerwalls.
    4. If in a grid-down situation and running off of a Tesla solar system and a homeowners Tesla Powerwall is 100%, charge the BEV instead of clipping solar production.
Most of this is open to those in the full Tesla ecosystem, but having this J1772 charger opens up this use case for non-Tesla cars too.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Seems like a pretty good value to me for the stated max charge rate (40 amps). This is particularly so if you get smart charger features with the Tesla app.
Is it a smart charger though? I thought they didn't add WiFi to the Tesla wall connector until gen 3. Also, 40A is actually a fairly low rating for a hardwired unit since most can go up to 48A.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Is it a smart charger though? I thought they didn't add WiFi to the Tesla wall connector until gen 3. Also, 40A is actually a fairly low rating for a hardwired unit since most can go up to 48A.
Not sure, that would certainly diminish its value, but would still make it a fair one (unless prices have dropped in the last several months). As I recall, a lot of quality brands had 32amp dumb chargers around $350-$400 this past Spring.

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
It is highly unlinkely to be necessary. After having my car a couple of months and a dozen or so actuations it either softened up or I learned the technique. I have no trouble now; the technique I use is to lower it to 10 inches or so and then flick my wrist down like taking a basketball shot. works every time now
Quite interesting.
I wonder if Tesla is planning to switch the type of charge port their cars use to J1772?

Power share is the next must have feature for new EVSEs....
Elon has plans to do it with an online update that's already being tested in beta mode

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
IMHO, charge point is still the king. I just filled out my permit ap for my electrical contractor, my home info, lot block etc. He comes next week to do my install. So I need to decide and order my Level 2 soon.

OP
OP
littlD

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Pretty sure the J1772 flavor of the Tesla wall connector is not smart like the Gen 3 Tesla Wall connector.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Pretty sure the J1772 flavor of the Tesla wall connector is not smart like the Gen 3 Tesla Wall connector.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case with all of their Gen 2 wall connectors.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case with all of their Gen 2 wall connectors.
I think you are correct. I’m a bit surprised, Gen 3 apparently launched early 2020. I would have thought they had connected charge stations for years. So Ford was only one year behind in coming out with it’s own wifi enabled charger ?

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Since this one appears to not be a smart charger, does anyone have thoughts on this one? I'm assuming you want a smart charger so you can track charges and other data. Is there any other reason for it?

https://georgiapowermarketplace.com...GmpS9DxN0Z13KPD0ieSO6w6MQkj_5xowaAnjIEALw_wcB
Imho, charge point home flex seems to be the one "for me". I like its a smart charger and also through the app, you can change the amount of juice your charging with. You Dont have to get into the charger and mess with switches and stuff. I am sure the TESLA charger as a dumb charger is good. But I want more out of it. I am still researching as my car wont be here till March/April. So this is my 2 cents.

Rhino

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GTPE
Country flag
Imho, charge point home flex seems to be the one "for me". I like its a smart charger and also through the app, you can change the amount of juice your charging with. You Dont have to get into the charger and mess with switches and stuff. I am sure the TESLA charger as a dumb charger is good. But I want more out of it. I am still researching as my car wont be here till March/April. So this is my 2 cents.
Honestly, it seems like if you don't care about the "smart" part, just having a socket installed is good enough. Then, you could always get a plug in smart charger if you want that.
Sponsored