Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This is from a Tesla owner's forum (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/fit-and-finish-excuse.198416/):

I picked up my new MYP last week. Took it to the SC yesterday to show them a few issues I found before my 7/1000 return period runs out. They mostly consisted of panels gaps and slightly bend fender and a pain blemish.

The SC manager said most were within spec, typical excuse.

He goes on to explain why Tesla’s “within spec” is much broader than other manufacturers. He said legacy manufacturers have had many many years to perfect their production line and Tesla is still working in it. So I can’t expect the same quality. That I should realize that the technology in the car is far superior to the legacy's. That I am
paying for tech not fit and finish.

one of the replies:

Yep, it sucks. The policy (7 day/1000 miles) is in place to discourage returns. This is why refusing delivery at the point of purchase is important.

As stated before in this thread, if Tesla had serious EV competition from multiple companies, this lack of quality control would sink Tesla.
Wow! That really sucks.
Sponsored

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
I was in the same boat as you. I was seriously considering a Model Y, and was about to make an order, but in the end, the poor fit and finish, coupled with a tired same look as the model 3, pushed me towards the Mach-E.
I think you are right here too, the tired look of all the models and lack of understanding on how to add different designs to the production will hinder Tesla long term - legacy auto makers know how to add different makes and models and the tech is coming along - Ford's 15 Billion investment will play catch up very fast. In a matter of the next five years, Ford will have more makes and options for the average consumer than Tesla will.

Cudos to Tesla for pushing things along, but a $60,000 car (name one person who has a base Tesla that is less than $40k - can't happen) is not an affordable option.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Crazy sales during a pandemic!

Guess all the FUD about quality did not stop 90,000 buyers. All during the worst quarter for automakers in a decade. Wow.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing...le-carmaker?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO&yptr=yahoo
It's clear that people will continue to purchase Teslas regardless of the quality, fit, and finish. This is why many people debate: is Tesla more a tech company than car manufacturer. People buy Teslas because of the tech, the brand, and the ability to have something the masses don't. I know because I was nearly in this boat. I knew the quality wasn't great, but I was about 95% of the way to place a Model Y order. In the end, I couldn't look past the quality issue. The Mach-E has and should have just the amount of Tech I'm looking for.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
It's clear that people will continue to purchase Teslas regardless of the quality, fit, and finish. This is why many people debate: is Tesla more a tech company than car manufacturer. People buy Teslas because of the tech, the brand, and the ability to have something the masses don't. I know because I was nearly in this boat. I knew the quality wasn't great, but I was about 95% of the way to place a Model Y order. In the end, I couldn't look past the quality issue. The Mach-E has and should have just the amount of Tech I'm looking for.
People also buy them because they are flat out fun to drive. Not sure there is anything comparable in the same price range.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
It's also easy to hate on something that exists, and praise a car that is not out yet.

Im sure legacy auto can have better fit and finish.

OTA updates that work and are released often, sentry mode, 4 way dashcam, streaming video services, in car charging maps (not having to use your phone while driving), live charger data such as stalls in use displayed on map, full voice control, etc. These are the things I am waiting to see how well are done on the MME. These are the things INSIDE the car a driver uses.

Will be interesting for sure!

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
It's also easy to hate on something that exists, and praise a car that is not out yet.

Im sure legacy auto can have better fit and finish.

OTA updates that work and are released often, sentry mode, 4 way dashcam, streaming video services, in car charging maps (not having to use your phone while driving), live charger data such as stalls in use displayed on map, full voice control, etc. These are the things I am waiting to see how well are done on the MME. These are the things INSIDE the car a driver uses.

Will be interesting for sure!
I give a lot of credit to Tesla and love their cars too...I just cant stand all the people - and press - already killing the Mach E and stating that legacy car makers can't make a quality EV. Praising only Tesla as the only savior in the car industry...I think it is also easy to hate on a car that is not yet out...the Y was marked the best thing since sliced bread way before it came out - and then it gets a pass when quality issues come up (and its not just fit and finish, but the computer system is also filled with glitches)....so if Tesla and the Y get a huge buffer on meeting expectations, the same leeway should be afforded to Ford and the Mach E....

And I go back to the 3 and the Y are not everyday affordable...maybe the starting price, but if you want anything in the car that makes Tesla Tesla, then the price jumps well above the average person's price range.

The Mach E (Premium)'s prices comes in well under the Y....

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
And you can actually purchase a base model in the low/mid $40s.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
And I go back to the 3 and the Y are not everyday affordable...maybe the starting price, but if you want anything in the car that makes Tesla Tesla, then the price jumps well above the average person's price range.

Not sure I agree with this. I had a Red Model Y, AWD, Ext Range on order for $54,990. 0-60 4.8 seconds, 300+ miles range. My Premium MachE AWD LR in red is $58,100. (less cargo space, less range, not as fast, especially if Ford comes in at 5.5 seconds).

Yeah we get the tax credit but still. The MachE isn't really less expensive. If I had ordered White on the Model Y, the price would have been $52,990.

I'll be very curious to see what Ford does when the Tax incentive is gone in regards to the MachE price.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Not sure I agree with this. I had a Red Model Y, AWD, Ext Range on order for $54,990. 0-60 4.8 seconds, 300+ miles range. My Premium MachE AWD LR in red is $58,100. (less cargo space, less range, not as fast, especially if Ford comes in at 5.5 seconds).

Yeah we get the tax credit but still. The MachE isn't really less expensive. If I had ordered White on the Model Y, the price would have been $52,990.

I'll be very curious to see what Ford does when the Tax incentive is gone in regards to the MachE price.
Considering the way prices drop on the computing and battery parts of the car they may figure they’ll be able to reduce costs and price without jeopardizing profits.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
if you want anything in the car that makes Tesla Tesla, then the price jumps well above the average person's price range.
I had a Red Model Y, AWD, Ext Range on order for $54,990. 0-60 4.8 seconds, 300+ miles range. My Premium MachE AWD LR in red is $58,100. (less cargo space, less range, not as fast, especially if Ford comes in at 5.5 seconds).

@Maric, thanks for providing some facts instead of generic inaccuracies ;) Helps all of us.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
@Maric, thanks for providing some facts instead of generic inaccuracies ;) Helps all of us.
I have seen plenty of reports that people's Y are $60+ - add in all the other paint protections and such that it seems like every Tesla needs, then that is just more money....

besides, whether you buy a Mach E or a Tesla - both around $60k (give or take $5k), it still is out of the range of the average person who probably spends $20-30k on a car - so neither are truly everyday affordable

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I give a lot of credit to Tesla and love their cars too...I just cant stand all the people - and press - already killing the Mach E and stating that legacy car makers can't make a quality EV. Praising only Tesla as the only savior in the car industry...I think it is also easy to hate on a car that is not yet out...the Y was marked the best thing since sliced bread way before it came out - and then it gets a pass when quality issues come up (and its not just fit and finish, but the computer system is also filled with glitches)....so if Tesla and the Y get a huge buffer on meeting expectations, the same leeway should be afforded to Ford and the Mach E....

And I've just read yesterday that they are starting to have issues with their large screens ???? Cutting down on the warranty period because of that.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
It's kind of sad that the closet competition to the ME is the Y. We need some more competition to liven things up.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It's kind of sad that the closet competition to the ME is the Y. We need some more competition to liven things up.
Jaguar iPace

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I'd bet by this time next year every major auto maker will have released or have announced a vehicle to compete in this same segment and the BEV growth will continue to grow but at a slower pace.

Competition will be good for the consumer, but difficult for manufacturers who so far have gotten away with poor quality in production and delivery because they could point at a big screen and say "but it's cool, right"
Sponsored

Last edited: