jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
That's the one thing I am most concerned about having been spoilt by Tesla SpC for so long now and not having that infrastructure to support the MME

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Most likely Europe first since they're already on the CCS connectors. Don't hold your breath for North America. Without any specifics, Musk's comments offer no specifics so Elon time for this to hit N.A. could be years, if ever.

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
We created our own connector, as there was no standard back then & Tesla was only maker of long range electric cars.

It’s one fairly slim connector for both low & high power charging.

That said, we’re making our Supercharger network open to other EVs later this year.

Feels.like the timeframe is this year, and it clearly mentions the different plug, meaning North America

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This is interesting, would certainly ease range anxiety even more even if it was even more expensive than most CCS L3 chargers.

As a side note though, I wonder what the pro/cons of CCS vs Supercharger are in terms of the mechanics of charging. Would be interesting to hear from people who have charged a Tesla in Europe on CCS and also in North America on the same type of Tesla but with a Supercharger.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It won't matter in North America because Tesla isn't going to refit all those Superchargers and cars with CCS/DCFS and there is no safe Tesla to CCS/DCFS adapter for everyone else.

The EU is a no-brainer because Tesla has been using CCS since 2018 there.

OP
OP
RyanSD

RyanSD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME AWD EXT, 2013 Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
IT Systems Architect
Country flag
Most likely Europe first since they're already on the CCS connectors. Don't hold your breath for North America. Without any specifics, Musk's comments offer no specifics so Elon time for this to hit N.A. could be years, if ever.
I would tend to agree with you, however, an article from CNBC brings up a very valid point in that “If Tesla opens up significant numbers of its charging stations in the US — especially if it can power up cars from renewable energy sources there — it may tap into new government funding such as grants, tax credits, rebates or green energy credits which it can sell to companies that need them to offset their own environmental impact.”

This would appear to be yet another revenue stream that the Musk Machine could capitalize on.

CNBC Article

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
Since the cables at super chargers are so short, I wonder how they would even reach the mach e charge port since it's not on the same side as tesla vehicles

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
you are all correct. He is playing the money game. He can get some free carbon credits and sell this to other businesses that are not automobiles. He is not doing it for kindness but money money handouts and business. Tesla fans, well he won't ever do it, well ok ok it will cost more, ok ok well the cords are too short. He is going to do whatever he has to do to find a way for it to work and make money. The real truth to it is. Well screw you tesla people, my name is Elon money musk and I'm about the money like the rest of the money makers.

What did he say on Saturday night live after question and question about dogecoin? That's right in the end it's all just a hustle. Nothing new here tesla boys. Elon is here to hustle.

Kinda like that 8,000 to 10,000 tesla add on right.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Elon: "We created our own connector, as there was no standard back then."
Reality: CARB adopted the J1772-2001 connector standard in 2001. The Roadster (2006) had a J1772-2009 adapter. Superchargers/Tesla's proprietary connector were introduced in 2012.

Elon is always disingenuous. I don't trust a single word he says.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
I'm a little surprised it happened so soon, but I figured this was inevitable. Tesla was never going to retain 90% of the EV market once compelling competition showed up. Once competition showed up, there was no way they were going to turn their noses up at that revenue stream for long. They've probably reached a point where the super charger network isn't the big driver of sales it used to be, so they may as well bring in income from other drivers.

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So now it makes you wonder if they are gonna just sell some part to let you connect to their plug (more money for them), or I should finally get a teslatap
Sponsored