Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Yeah & more importantly I was driving home the principle of dealer vs direct. They each shuffle around their expenses differently because they can with GAAP, so it's really hard to get the true numbers unless you analyze their GL to a level of detail I don't want to know :p.

Either way, in a capitalist society the consumer always wins.
Sponsored

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
I agree, I've long said the direct sales model will be the death of Tesla. At some point they will have to partner with a company like CARQUEST to sell vehicles at scale.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Because the name Tesla is so synonymous with their cars, people often forget they do a lot with battery packs for other uses, like Powerwalls and Megapacks for utilities. Some suggest that's really what's driving a lot of the (ridiculous) stock price appreciation.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
??

No one said they earn 5 billion per car.

Last edited:

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
THIS! Their Loaners are complete POS haha. My Ford was in for service last week and I got a 2020 Ford Escape, the new redesign. It handled so well and was so quiet inside, for a $29,000 MSRP car new I couldn't believe it. BLIS, Adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, Apple carplay, auto climate, etc. with ecoboost engine. That thing would get up and go. Amazing value really.
I really liked the Escape hybrid. For reasons I don't understand, my wife and son did not. I still was looking forward to test driving the plug-in version, however the incentives on the Mach E made my decision easy.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Because the name Tesla is so synonymous with their cars, people often forget they do a lot with battery packs for other uses, like Powerwalls and Megapacks for utilities. Some suggest that's really what's driving a lot of the (ridiculous) stock price appreciation.
No, they still purchase their batteries from third parties. They just co-locate with their supplier’s production facilities.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No, they still purchase their batteries from third parties. They just co-locate with their supplier’s production facilities.
Not talking the batteries themselves, I'm talking the end products (Megapacks and Powerwalls). The Megapack in particular is looked at as having a potentially huge future for grid power producers that want to use more sporadic wind and solar. It's small now but many expect that to explode soon and be the real money-maker for Tesla in the coming years, which some investors are betting on.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/22/t...ts-small-but-growing-energy-storage-business/

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's nothing exceptional or proprietary, I'd agree. But they do have the products, success with it, and are building a reputation. And that often makes the difference on sales. Especially for government or quasi-government buyers like many of these big power providers, who tend to want to stick with safe, established suppliers.

Most products are boring and basic, but there are still companies that make a lot of money off of them. Suppliers that make transformers for power companies make a lot of money. And electrical cable. And telephone poles.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
New CEO has a degree in computer science, I believe this guy is the guy Ford has been waiting for to finally get the company moving in the right direction. I am biased though as I am invested in Ford stock. :D He may not be current with programming languages etc, but the fundamentals of computer science from when he graduated have not changed much and I am pretty sure he understands software is what sets the product apart in the EV world
And he's a real car guy. Great combination.