Tesla Y SR $2k price drop --> now same price as Mach-E SR RWD Premium post $7.5k tax rebate

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
They deleted all heat pumps, so the price drop was easy. ?
Complaints about heat pump failures in Model Y and updated Model 3 are starting to appear, as they go through their first winter. I am old enough to recall that once upon a time there were heated debates here on this forum regarding the lack of a heat pump in Mach-E...

Obviously Mach-E is having its own challenges in wintry weather, which are well documented here, all I am saying is that all those speculations about the heat pump haven't aged so well.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
All this competition is good for the consumer, even for people who would only consider one particular brand over another.

I hope the tax credit doesn’t come back for companies that have lost it. Just now it seems like the government is going to have to be a bit more cautious on spending given where things stand with the latest covid relief bill.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
All this competition is good for the consumer, even for people who would only consider one particular brand over another.

I hope the tax credit doesn’t come back for companies that have lost it. Just now it seems like the government is going to have to be a bit more cautious on spending given where things stand with the latest covid relief bill.
I wouldn't mind if the tax credit came back, I'd just want to make sure it didn't go to any EV manufacturer that perpetuated an exclusive and proprietary charging network that was unavailable to other EV owning taxpayers.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I wouldn't mind if the tax credit came back, I'd just want to make sure it didn't go to any EV manufacturer that perpetuated an exclusive and proprietary charging network that was unavailable to other EV owning taxpayers.
Excellent point!!!

theRealDevo

First Name
Deven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo XC60 T6; 57 Thunderbird
Country flag
in other Tesla news...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/18/tes...nt=Main&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1613664074

" Owners of 3-year-old Teslas reported 176 problems per 100 vehicles, compared with the industry average in the U.S. of 121 problems per 100 vehicles. Tesla owners reported more problems with their exterior and interior than with other systems like propulsion, battery or infotainment and navigation. However, some did complain about troubles with Tesla’s in-vehicle voice recognition. "

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag

I am going to disagree. If spending is a concern, then eliminate the tax credit for all, other wise change it to allow manufacturers that exceeded the current limit. As it is, both GM and Tesla are being put at a disadvantage because they were at the forefront of selling electric vehicles. Why just reward manufacturers for being late to the game.

It would be better for federal rebate instead of tax credit, but that is not going to happen for now.

Full disclosure, I was eligible and did receive the full credit for my 2018 purchase of my Model 3 and should be able to do the same for my MME purchase.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I would much rather they put the credit/rebate on used EVs. It’s trickle up economics. Wealthy EV buyers will get more for their used cars so they will buy more often. Lower income buyers will be more likely to make the jump to EV which they are not doing now.
I don’t think Tesla and GM should get or need the extra funds. 200k was meant to help manufacturing ramp up. They’ve done that.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I am going to disagree. If spending is a concern, then eliminate the tax credit for all, other wise change it to allow manufacturers that exceeded the current limit. As it is, both GM and Tesla are being put at a disadvantage because they were at the forefront of selling electric vehicles. Why just reward manufacturers for being late to the game.

It would be better for federal rebate instead of tax credit, but that is not going to happen for now.

Full disclosure, I was eligible and did receive the full credit for my 2018 purchase of my Model 3 and should be able to do the same for my MME purchase.
Spending is definitely a concern. I don't know if I would go so far as to say GM and Tesla are at a disadvantage for previously exhausting the tax credit - they were able to benefit from this financial aid in prior years, it is generally considered a good thing to be able to take some kind of financial benefit 'today' as opposed to getting the same financial benefit at a future time.

I think there is merit to starting to phase it out for everyone, the way some states are already reducing it - as EVs gain acceptance and their market share grows, no need to keep subsidizing them in this way.
Sponsored