First Name
Patrick
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicles
Subaru WRX
Country flag
Any guesses what Tesla will reveal next week? Do you think it is just more Elon hype? Is there anything they could reveal that would make you cancel your Mach-E order?

I'm thinking it is just more hype. And any breakthroughs they announce will still be in the "early stages" and won't make it into production cars for a couple of years (in Elon time).

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric, Ford C-Max Energi, 1999 F250 PSD, 2000 F250 PSD, 1968 GTO, 1955 Bel Air
Occupation
Managet
Country flag
My guess is the news will be that Tesla has much greater battery manufacturing capacity than previously expected. Possibly associated with an increase in power density.

If that is the case, then Tesla might also consider offering their component platform to other manufacturers to build on. From Elon's point of view.... that would be a much easier way to grow the company's revenue with the least amount of design and development costs.

I guess we all will find out in a few days though...

Tim_C

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2010 Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I found this video on Tesla's tabless battery patent interesting. My main takeaway is that, even without radical new cell chemistries, there are areas for meaningful battery improvement. The results could be some combination of reduced cost, increased range, faster charge times, better battery life, etc. I wouldn't cancel my Mach-E reservation but I'm anticipating a reduced resale value due to such technology improvements.

EVer

Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model3P
Country flag
I expect perhaps better energy density, and almost certainly some cost savings (which is why this is aimed at shareholders).

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Reaction score
First Name
M
Vehicles
Mach E GT reserved, Land Rover Discovery, Mazda CX-5,
Occupation
Daddy of the Mach Daddy
Country flag
It will be the Apple strategy of 1% lighter, 1% smaller, 1% more energy....regardless, TSLA will climb to $800.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
Any guesses what Tesla will reveal next week? Do you think it is just more Elon hype? Is there anything they could reveal that would make you cancel your Mach-E order?

I'm thinking it is just more hype. And any breakthroughs they announce will still be in the "early stages" and won't make it into production cars for a couple of years (in Elon time).
Tesla isn't and will never be significantly ahead of the other battery companies.

Mercedes-Benz just started producing buses with solid state batteries.

The true leaders, who are each spending 10 times as much as Tesla on battery research, include companies such as:

Kyocera
LG
Panasonic
Sony
Toyota
University of Texas
Public-Private partnerships
Foreign universities
The other large battery producers

And others.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
My guess is the news will be that Tesla has much greater battery manufacturing capacity than previously expected. Possibly associated with an increase in power density.

If that is the case, then Tesla might also consider offering their component platform to other manufacturers to build on. From Elon's point of view.... that would be a much easier way to grow the company's revenue with the least amount of design and development costs.

I guess we all will find out in a few days though...

For some reason Tesla has never chosen the path that would actually accelerate EV adoption or increase their own revenues. Years ago, when they had a much larger advantage, they should have designed and sold drivetrains to legacy manufacturers.

macchiaz-o

Reaction score
Vehicles
Fiesta » '21 InfB/SG
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric, Ford C-Max Energi, 1999 F250 PSD, 2000 F250 PSD, 1968 GTO, 1955 Bel Air
Occupation
Managet
Country flag
I think there was a Mercedes-Tesla venture as well. Probably one or two others that I am not aware of. I just think that Tesla's sweet spot is the EV drivetrain and convenience technology. Actually building a quality car.....not so much. A legacy auto maker would do well if there was a Tesla skateboard available to build their car around. Could be interesting way for companies like GM or Dodge to get in the game. By the time they realize they missed the bus the station will be gone too.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
For some reason Tesla has never chosen the path that would actually accelerate EV adoption or increase their own revenues. Years ago, when they had a much larger advantage, they should have designed and sold drivetrains to legacy manufacturers.
Their drivetrains are average at best, even below average. No one will buy them.

Now their drivetrain controllers are really good, as are there battery management controls. Those they could sell. Of course, if they do that, they have absolutely no competitive advantage. So here we are.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
Their drivetrains are average at best, even below average. No one will buy them.

Now their drivetrain controllers are really good, as are there battery management controls. Those they could sell. Of course, if they do that, they have absolutely no competitive advantage. So here we are.
Can you elaborate as to why their drivetrains are not very good?

I don't really understand the difference between the drivetrain and the controller. I assumed the controller is a part of the drivetrain.

Advertisement