Tesla's charging network No longer a selling point?

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Even if it does cost a bit more why not? If it means that our charging network just doubled in size overnight its still cheaper then gas so id be for it.
As I understand it, the average cost at a Supercharger is 28¢/kWh. Ignoring losses in transmission from EVSE to battery of 10% or more, assuming MME efficiency of 3 mi/kWh, it would cost $2.80 to travel 30 miles. Many ICE cars can manage 30 miles per gallon of gas. In the mid-Atlantic region gas is currently priced far lower per gallon.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
At the same time it looks like Tesla is coming out with an adapter to allow their cars to charge on CCS1:
https://insideevs.com/news/460661/tesla-ccs1-adapter-proprietary-charging-inlet-coming/
I think they kinda have to since Chademo is dying. It sure would be nice for the rest of us if somebody were to come up with an adapter that goes the other way so we could plug our CCS cars into a Supercharger. But with the plug and pay system, I don't see how that could ever happen unless Tesla is involved.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag
While I completely agree that EA and the other networks are rapidly expanding, the quality of those networks (e.g. is the charge point working, can you connect, will it authorize your account, will it start/maintain a charging session, etc.) is pretty poor in comparison to the Supercharger network. Until the new networks fully implement plug and charge (and it works reliably), the SuperCharger network will always win in convenience. I'd say we're still a few years away from that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
While I completely agree that EA and the other networks are rapidly expanding, the quality of those networks (e.g. is the charge point working, can you connect, will it authorize your account, will it start/maintain a charging session, etc.) is pretty poor in comparison to the Supercharger network. Until the new networks fully implement plug and charge (and it works reliably), the SuperCharger network will always win in convenience. I'd say we're still a few years away from that.
Agreed, although I'd put Plug & Charge way down the list of importance. That's just a convenience feature, while the existence of a fast charger where you need it on a road trip is 100x more important.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Tesla's supercharger network is amazing and great. Hands down the bottom line. But by 2025 the rest of the charging networks will be right there. Elon knows this. That is why he is bullish on the apple car. Said they missed getting in the EV game by 5 years. Time will tell.

When Tesla came out with the cyber truck announcement and went after ford. It really got under Ford's skin. It made ford jump into the EV game quicker than ford was going to. Ford will protect the f series trucks at all costs.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
For me its that especially last week when watching the reviews of the MME, the positive that kept coming up for Tesla over the MME was the charging network but if this happens than that positive goes out the window and leaves very little reason left to pick a Y over the MME

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
For me its that especially last week when watching the reviews of the MME, the positive that kept coming up for Tesla over the MME was the charging network but if this happens than that positive goes out the window and leaves very little reason left to pick a Y over the MME
So many reviews point-blank said they like or love the mache way better than the model y. The only reason they would keep or buy a tesla over the mache is the charging network. Again by 2025, there will be over 100 more different EV's sold in North America. The game is moving fast.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla's supercharger network is amazing and great. Hands down the bottom line. But by 2025 the rest of the charging networks will be right there.
Yep. I'm guessing it could be even sooner than that, at least in terms of quantity and coverage. For 2020, Tesla accounts for 67% of BEV sales. But with the Mach-E, ID4, Polestar 2, Ariya, and others hitting dealerships soon, I betcha Tesla's BEV market share in the US falls below 50% by 2022, if not the end of 2021. Everything will use the CCS standard (other than Tesla). As all those automakers jump into the market, some will choose strategic investments to help boost the CCS charging network. Many states will throw taxpayers dollars at it. And growing charging revenues (while still a LONG way from being fully self-supporting) will add some boost.

But it won't be the singular proprietary network Tesla owners love. It'll be a collection of providers that will take a bit more navigating, and cleaning up. Ones like ChargePoint are going to have to improve their requirements, impose more standards, and maintain better databases to help customers. It's a bit of a mess right now. Fortunately EA is already doing it right though.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So many reviews point-blank said they like or love the mache way better than the model y. The only reason they would keep or buy a tesla over the mache is the charging network. Again by 2025, there will be over 100 more different EV's sold in North America. The game is moving fast.
One of the video reviewers said she got comments from Tesla owners that they'd get the Mach-E but for the Superchargers.

Three of my close friends and my own FIL have Teslas and think I'm insane for wanting the Mustang Mach-E, if for nothing else, the superiority of the Supercharger network.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One of the video reviewers said she got comments from Tesla owners that they'd get the Mach-E but for the Superchargers.

Three of my close friends and my own FIL have Teslas and think I'm insane for wanting the Mustang Mach-E, if for nothing else, the superiority of the Supercharger network.
If buying it for just one year, they'd have a point. But a car is often a 10-15 year purchase, especially a BEV that's supposed to last longer than ICE.

As such, it depends a lot on where you live. If I lived in the Dakotas, no, I wouldn't buy a BEV needing CCS charging. But in most of the country, EA has a lot of major routes covered fairly well now. And filling in others at a good pace.

The Mach-E will also be the 2nd car for many people still, meaning they don't have to be able to take it everywhere.

Dan G

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I don't own a Tesla, never have, but I've done a few trips in a M3. Maybe it's just me, but the supercharger network isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I've said this before on this forum somewhere, but unless it's the new V3 superchargers, then I'd rather use EA.

The older superchargers share cabinets, meaning you can get charging speeds down around 40-50 kw. There's no thermal management, so the cables can get really hot and then throttle your charging rate. There's no app to tell you which cabinets are healthy.

The plus I see Tesla having isn't the charging network, but the route planner. It's still by far the best/easiest I've used.

SoCalPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Country flag
This doesn't mean Tesla owners are disadvantaged. Adapters will allow them to use both J1772 and CCS chargers. But it does mean that Tesla has to maintain a network for only Tesla vehicles. When that's 90% of the market not a big deal. When it's 30% of the market that's a different story.
Don,
Any thoughts on when you think the other OEMs will hit the 70% market share you mention? Which companies do you think would be leading EV makers then?

SCPony
Sponsored